• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So why the Big Turnaround ?

Spur of the moment

Frederic Kanoute
Looking back, the fall-out from the Stoke home reversal on Sunday 9 November 2014 seems to have marked a massive turning point in our fortunes this season.

That Stoke defeat was our fourth home reversal in six PL home games and murmurings were starting to be heard about the possibility of being drawn into a relegation battle.

It was also following the Stoke game that Adebayor criticised the home fans for booing their own team, hinting the players were beginning to dread playing at WHL and preferred playing away from home.

Since that nadir in our fortunes we've seen a transformation in team-spirit go hand-hand with a dramatic improvement in results, culminating in yesterday's rapturous derby-day reception for our emphatic triumph over the Gooners.

Of course there are a number of well-documented theories as to what has brought about our transformation. One is Poch's alleged behind-the-scenes showdown with the players, some of whom either would not or could not hack his double training sessions and the high-pressing game he wanted to install.

Another is the brilliant emergence of Harry Kane and the way his passionate persona has reconnected the team with the fans.

But I cannot help wondering to what extent the steady improvement in the atmosphere owes something to Adebayor's outspoken comments? Whether his wounding words hit home to such biting effect that the less vociferous but more supportive majority were inspired to voice their support more audibly henceforward in order to drown out the minging moaners.

Whether indeed instead of vilifying him for his criticisms we should therefore be lauding Ade for having the courage to speak out on behalf of the players at the expense of his own connection with the fans (what little there was left of it, that is).

Thoughts?

I would suspect if you looked at team composition before/after that game, you would find your answer

number of appearances of Kaboul, Capoue, Ade, Vlad, Dier (as FB)

vs. number of appearances of now Mason, Bentaleb, Kane, Walker, Fazio

its 5 players that simply suit our system better, beyond the workrate, passion, ability

thoughts are its a little to early for us to start sucking our own dic*s at the moment.

We have a long way to go. I think much credit must go to Poch for his man management. I think the fans have known pre-Adebayor outburst that we needed to up our game in terms of atmosphere.

Again we must not get carried away...we have not won/achieved anything yet...but the progress we are making is very encouraging. We have beaten big teams and are fighting our defeatist and roll-over attitude against the big teams!

In terms of Poch....great so far with a few questionable decisions...will be important for us as a club to get the summer window spot-on!!!! we have the nucleus of an amazing team... Our fans also need to ensure yesterday was not a one off....of course not every game is a derby....but we must use yesterday as a benchmark for future home support...whether its vs the goons or Torquay United..

Agree with Raz that it has to do with the players who are now the core of the team. The belief, commitment, and desire they show has been pretty key. But I also think the fitness levels must have something to do with it too, allowing the players to play the high pressing game that Poch wants, as well as put in a full 90-minute shift without tiring.

Return of Kyle Walker helped balance the team a lot IMO. Obvioulsy Kane's emergence as a top striker has been a huge factor.

I think its just take a while for Poch's systems to filter down to the thick fcukers!

Bentaleb's ability to break up play/closing is even better than Sandro's used to be and I never thought I'd hear myself say that.

we still had issues with teams like leicester, sheff utd, crystal palace recently. i don't think we are out the woods yet, but as we showing more volatility in performance as a of result of taking more risks throwing more into attack.

at least we are witnessing a much higher potential amidst some poor displays, now poch needs to keep us playing at the top of our game consistently. squad depth is probably still a challenge right now as we compete on muliple fronts, i think we will need a couple of windows optimize the playing squad.

poch mentioned that soton is a team "that trains itself" and that he has had to rebuild everything since coming here. with a core set of players now being developed. the next round of players should integrate themselves faster. hope to see us quickly out of the blocks at the start of the next season.

Yeah its definitely to do with the atmosphere after been 'told' by Ade

Its nothing do with the dropping of

Kaboul
bKK4FsR.png

Capoue
D8dHC0a.png

Adebayor
7rLpEvS.png

Last edited:
No Ade, Chiriches, Kaboul, Naughton or Capoue. Do people genuinely believe it's a coincidence that we have started to look better without those jokers in the team?

Kane's purple patch is an obvious reason.

Eriksen's play and improved work rate.

Better defensive record despite not looking that much more solid (in my eyes anyway).

No Thursday night games followed by Sunday games.

The Everton match for me was the turning point, certainly in style. I think it probably coincided with the introduction of Bentaleb, Kane and Mason, but the way in which we conducted ourselves on the pitch had the pundits finally exclaiming that we looked like a Poch team. That was the first game where the pressing game was in effect for a long period of a match and where we got goals as a result of it.

A general comment first, directed at media as well as some supporters...people really need, IMO, to start watching EVERYTHING which happens at the club and not just get sucked in by the hyperbole/twitterati rubbish.

Poch said it would take 6 months to get fitness levels up.
There was a 'slightly loose' culture of 'acceptance' at the club.
There was a constant gap between board, coach, DOF.
There was the 'calling out' time period. People laughed when Poch let the squad vote their own skipper in, but I believe he knew from the summer who would/wouldn't make it under his tenure, but he also knew that to go in guns blazing meant he would be ruling by fear and not respect. Better to let people show their own arses to their peers. Thus Capoue, Ade, Kaboul, Lennon (who was given a chance of redemption but, well...)
I believe also that Poch made it clear HE will run things and that he wanted HIS youth guy in.
He has made it clear that regardless of how cool someone is, if they aren't part of what he wants then he won't be using them. Thus Freundy, who is great and also proven to be a fine youth coach, is not part of the set-up NOT because he is no good but because Poch wants his people.

I think the single biggest factors have been growing fitness, confidence and mot importantly,trust. Poch has shown thus far that he is tough but fair. That he doesn't play favorites, that favorites play themselves. That the entire squad is very important to him, thus why everyone is expected to buy in. And most importantly, that youth and endeavor are where he wants to be and wants us to arrive from. I felt that whilst he waited to see how the 'first' team would shake itself out early doors, he was using the EL to bed in (and give experience to) the side he felt would be better. I saw it as brilliant management. Plus despite all the mediocrity early doors, he never ever threw anyone under the bus!

These things take time. Frankly, I'm amazed it's starting to click this fast. I expected another year of building, and we should credit Sherwood for blooding the likes of Bentaleb and Kane before (don't like the man but respect what he did there) but critically, Poch has shown that he TRUSTS the youth to LEAD the club.

It is why I was sure we would win against the goons (albeit not as convincingly perhaps - I don't think 5-1 would've flattered the level of performance) and I am very very confident we can beat Chelski again.

This squad do not carry the stigmas of others.

It is perhaps the closest thing to what Fergie did early doors at Man Utd that I have seen a manager initiate during the Premiership era. This was Levy's dream for over a decade. Let's hope he doesn't somehow blow it...

Last edited:
Not concerned about Levy blowing it. Looks like he is giving Poch the time he needs. What I am concerned about though, is if Poch builds a competitive team, will he get poached by a bigger club? I wasn't concerned about it before and was even hoping he would be shown the door and we would bring in FdB, but now I'm sold and worried more about him getting pried away than any of our players.

Not concerned about Levy blowing it. Looks like he is giving Poch the time he needs. What I am concerned about though, is if Poch builds a competitive team, will he get poached by a bigger club? I wasn't concerned about it before and was even hoping he would be shown the door and we would bring in FdB, but now I'm sold and worried more about him getting pried away than any of our players.

I understnd mate, but I don't think his motivation works like that...bigger clubs would not give him the room to build. I think he is a modern coach with old school principles. He strikes me as one who will happily stay. but who really knows?

I understnd mate, but I don't think his motivation works like that...bigger clubs would not give him the room to build. I think he is a modern coach with old school principles. He strikes me as one who will happily stay. but who really knows?

This .. who knows in the real world

but seems like Poch's idea of success is building something, not buying an assembly of mercenaries, which is the only way any clubs bigger than us currently run.

I hope that's the case, but he never worked for a team that had the finances to buy, so he always had to build by default. If a Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea come calling, who knows...

Several reasons and most already have been mentioned above, it was/is a work in progress and ( imo) was always going to take time to see improvement. What I will say though is that I believe Ade was right when he said fans should not boo the team they are SUPPOSED to support, I have been a ST ( home and away) for many years and I have said before that the booing of players at the Lane is/was a disgrace, compere it to the great support we give the lads away from home and you see/hear the difference.

Good work over years in our academy and development setup allowing us to bring through players like Bentaleb, Mason, Kane etc.

Good work this summer in the transfer market bringing in players that fit the system.

Work over time from Poch to instill a system.

Way too simplistic to try to put this on a single incident like Ade saying something (imo silly) to the press. It's a result of good work over time at many levels.

For me the reason for the turnaround are:

1) The Mason-Bentaleb CM partnership. In one fell swoop this gave us quick transitioning and shook off the 'turgidness' that any combination of Capoue, Dembele, Paulinho and previously Sandro established over the previous 2 years.

2) Kane's confidence. It was the Asteras game on 23 October that was the big moment with that for me. The hattrick and then going in goal created a cult hero that night, and he's had momentum ever since.

3) The alienation of Ade, Kaboul, Capoue and Lennon. It is speculation, but the fact is that none of these have featured very much at all since, and they were the ones we were actively trying to force out in the January window (even ahead of struggling players like Chiriches and Paulinho). It's the first time in more than 25 years that the system has been allowed to triumph over individuals. Removing Kaboul seems to have had a massive positive effect on Verts, as one indirect consequence.

4) The bedding in of Poch's system and fitness requirements - the more we play and train, the more the players are able to do what is asked of them. Poch spoke in the week about how the Southampton squad was in such a position by the end with him that they could pretty much train themselves, whereas with us he had to throw everything out and start with the basics

5) Homegrown Hotspur. After losing our three most popular players - Dawson, Sandro and Holtby - over the summer, there was a big loss of connection between the club and fans. But the emergence of some of our own - Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, Townsend and Rose - has given us a core we identify with. We beat Chelsea with 5 academy starters and Arsenal with 4. Let that sink in.

Re Ade - I don't think his comments especially helped. Dembele, AVB, Redknapp and others all said similar things in recent years. I think Ade just shot himself in the foot behind the scenes and everyone has had a big weight lifted ever since.

No Ade, Chiriches, Kaboul, Naughton or Capoue. Do people genuinely believe it's a coincidence that we have started to look better without those jokers in the team?

Kane's purple patch is an obvious reason.

Eriksen's play and improved work rate.

Better defensive record despite not looking that much more solid (in my eyes anyway).

No Thursday night games followed by Sunday games.

We've had no less games - the Christmas programme, Burnley replay, Saudi Sportswashing Machine ¼ final and Sheff U semis have more than filled those spots.

The 7 days between Liverpool and Fiorentina will be the longest break we've had in ages

Back