• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

A bit of a tricky situation this evening (hugely longer story than I thought when I started this post). As I may have mentioned :))) we are on holiday atm. Staying in a very small hotel that is not full (relevant only to describe there’s not many people around). There is a family of four here - 2 parents and a young boy and girl. I am useless with guessing ages but would say around 4 (girl) and 6 (boy). Not English, sound Eastern European (relevant only due to difficulty in communicating for us.) Anyway, we’ve seen them at breakfast a couple of mornings but had no interaction. Saw the parents one evening when we were having dinner in the hotel - kids were upstairs in their room and occasionally calling down from the balcony. I did find it a bit disconcerting that the parents were happy downstairs whilst kids were upstairs.

Yesterday, husband’s birthday. Hotel put on a birthday cake. Too much for us to eat so husband offers some to the few guests around at the time, including this mother and her kids. He deliberately takes the mum to one side and checks through google translate that she’s ok with the kids having some cake rather than just offer it to them. All happy all good.

Fast forward to this evening. Husband is now obviously the man who has given the cake. I am in the shower getting ready for the evening, husband out on the verandah of our cabana. Girl comes over, starts playing, doing cartwheels, generally just having a bit of fun. Husband is great with young kids but feels a bit uncomfortable. Goes over to where parents are, asks (whilst knowing there’s little English) are you ok with your daughter being over there (pointing at our cabin). Dad says “ is she bothering you”. Well, no. Dad goes back to his phone. So, back to our cabana. Young girl playing around then decides to open door and go into room. Husband just freezes as he feels he can’t follow her inside. Totally luckily at exactly same time I have walked out of bathroom wrapped in towel. Lost it a bit with seeing girl coming into room, shooed her out and unfairly had a go at husband. Girl goes away, we lock door from inside. Husband is a bit stressed as feels very uncomfortable about whole situation.

A bit later there’s a knock on the door. it’s the young girl. Husband sends her away. Five mins later I am hanging some swimwear out to dry, she sees the door open and comes running over. Enough is enough, I usher her over to where her mum is sitting, browsing on her phone. Despite language barrier make clear (I think) that I am delivering her daughter back to her and that it is inappropriate for her to be over at our place. Mum nods, smiles, and really doesn’t seem to be too bothered. Tell husband I’ve sorted it - he now thinks I caused a diplomatic incident.

But... we don’t have kids of our own and maybe don’t appreciate the space parents need from time to time. But how can any parent be so blasé about where their kids are and who they are mixing with? I mean my husband is the nicest bloke possible and would never, ever dream of anything untoward, hence his unease, but the parents don’t know that. The thing is they probably don’t even realise the awkwardness they have created but far more importantly, they don’t see the risks they are putting their kids under. Not everyone is nice. I don’t know, maybe they are better for being more trusting of the world and we are the jaded, cynical ones who think they should be more suspicious of what is around them. I find myself hoping they leave soon.

Its not on. I understand the discomfort.

I wouldn’t let my kids impose on others like that.

Especially with a guy in shorts like that.

A bit of a tricky situation this evening (hugely longer story than I thought when I started this post). As I may have mentioned :))) we are on holiday atm. Staying in a very small hotel that is not full (relevant only to describe there’s not many people around). There is a family of four here - 2 parents and a young boy and girl. I am useless with guessing ages but would say around 4 (girl) and 6 (boy). Not English, sound Eastern European (relevant only due to difficulty in communicating for us.) Anyway, we’ve seen them at breakfast a couple of mornings but had no interaction. Saw the parents one evening when we were having dinner in the hotel - kids were upstairs in their room and occasionally calling down from the balcony. I did find it a bit disconcerting that the parents were happy downstairs whilst kids were upstairs.

Yesterday, husband’s birthday. Hotel put on a birthday cake. Too much for us to eat so husband offers some to the few guests around at the time, including this mother and her kids. He deliberately takes the mum to one side and checks through google translate that she’s ok with the kids having some cake rather than just offer it to them. All happy all good.

Fast forward to this evening. Husband is now obviously the man who has given the cake. I am in the shower getting ready for the evening, husband out on the verandah of our cabana. Girl comes over, starts playing, doing cartwheels, generally just having a bit of fun. Husband is great with young kids but feels a bit uncomfortable. Goes over to where parents are, asks (whilst knowing there’s little English) are you ok with your daughter being over there (pointing at our cabin). Dad says “ is she bothering you”. Well, no. Dad goes back to his phone. So, back to our cabana. Young girl playing around then decides to open door and go into room. Husband just freezes as he feels he can’t follow her inside. Totally luckily at exactly same time I have walked out of bathroom wrapped in towel. Lost it a bit with seeing girl coming into room, shooed her out and unfairly had a go at husband. Girl goes away, we lock door from inside. Husband is a bit stressed as feels very uncomfortable about whole situation.

A bit later there’s a knock on the door. it’s the young girl. Husband sends her away. Five mins later I am hanging some swimwear out to dry, she sees the door open and comes running over. Enough is enough, I usher her over to where her mum is sitting, browsing on her phone. Despite language barrier make clear (I think) that I am delivering her daughter back to her and that it is inappropriate for her to be over at our place. Mum nods, smiles, and really doesn’t seem to be too bothered. Tell husband I’ve sorted it - he now thinks I caused a diplomatic incident.

But... we don’t have kids of our own and maybe don’t appreciate the space parents need from time to time. But how can any parent be so blasé about where their kids are and who they are mixing with? I mean my husband is the nicest bloke possible and would never, ever dream of anything untoward, hence his unease, but the parents don’t know that. The thing is they probably don’t even realise the awkwardness they have created but far more importantly, they don’t see the risks they are putting their kids under. Not everyone is nice. I don’t know, maybe they are better for being more trusting of the world and we are the jaded, cynical ones who think they should be more suspicious of what is around them. I find myself hoping they leave soon.

Ah, brick, they sound like a pain in the ass. I have a six year old, and would never let him just play around alone if he kept bothering other people, nevermind if someone actually came over with him saying he's been somewhere he shouldn't have been. I know some parents are like this though, not sure why. One thing is trusting other people, that's fine - but just assuming that they're fine with having their kids all up in your stuff is quite rude, in my opinion.

Ah, brick, they sound like a pain in the ass. I have a six year old, and would never let him just play around alone if he kept bothering other people, nevermind if someone actually came over with him saying he's been somewhere he shouldn't have been. I know some parents are like this though, not sure why. One thing is trusting other people, that's fine - but just assuming that they're fine with having their kids all up in your stuff is quite rude, in my opinion.
Get with it ...The mother is on her phone.....the kids are just a effing inconvenience.

It's quite strange (as a fella) when you don't have kids...you feel an awkwardness, unease at interacting with kids. As soon as you have kids you don't feel any of that at all, they're just all great (mostly:)) and a joy to be around.

Other than you two not chipping in on the childcare front, are Gerry & Kate enjoying their holiday?

(Shirley not too soon?)

Just bad parenting in my view. as someone with two young kids. Don't get me wrong, holidays aren't the same anymore but that's on us. Look after your damn kids!

You and Mr GL are on holiday, don't end up being someone's free babysitter which is clearly what the parents want!

I went to speak with a mental health worker today for an appointment and when we walked in to the room I saw something on that floor that looked awfully like a baggy with some white powder. Like a dingdonghead I said “What’s that on the floor?” and the guy picked it up so it presumably could be disposed of and to look in to who had used the room previously.

In hindsight a St Patrick’s day gameshow of “Is the unidentified substance coke or ketamine?” could’ve spiced proceedings up, now I just feel like I’ve snitched on someone..

In case I gave the wrong impression in my post from the other night in my grouchy state at them time - we love kids and have no problem whatsoever spending time playing with them but, when both kids and parents are complete strangers we would rather it was in view of parents and that parents actually knew where their kid was. Last night they were on the beach in pitch darkness and it is not a safe sea in front of the hotel and this morning at breakfast I felt I had to let the mother know her daughter had gone onto the beach without anyone with her. But they seem like lovely people and maybe just have different ways. I also learned this evening that my assumption of them being “Eastern European” was not exactly correct. They are Russian, and we had a very interesting, but disturbing, conversation with the dad. Carried over to the Putin thread.

Madagascar hissing coachroach. Lovely.
DRCEDooW0AEkjnj

Back