• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So how about a World Cup in a country you'd really enjoy visiting?

I agree. Just thinking that probably the rich clubs have more sway with UEFA than FIFA?

I feel quite confident somewhere at FIFA there is a department with 15-20 people who have one job only. To collectively not give a brick about public outcries.

It would sort of cause a knock on effect. The big clubs in Europe will feel it would be to their detriment which then causes a problem with UEFA as that would be their first port of call in relation to concerns. UEFA might well feel that their product ( Champions League ) could be adversely affected by the scenarios raised by posters countering your argument.

The clubs concerns would cascade to FIFA via UEFA who obviously are the most powerful association of all within the FIFA family. That's when UEFA can cause a problem for FIFA and its head (Blatter) in terms of making sure votes can potentially be withheld for Blatter in the next election by European Countries if they feel they aren't being listened to.

Your right, they have about 20-30 people whose job description is not giving a damn for any public outcries but they will give a damn about internal outcries from associations under the FIFA umberella. Especially if those outcries have the potential to affect the outcome of the Presidency of FIFA and/or contracts for TV rights or tournament affiliation.

Anyone in favour of Qatar having a World Cup in winter (or a World Cup there at all) needs their heads checked. Also need to check the facts on how they won the right to host it. They promised it would be held in July, and they would solve the heat issue by having air conditioned stadiums - not with domes...open air stadiums with air conditioning. That was the flimflam that helped win it. Then 2 weeks after it's announced, FIFA start saying maybe a winter World Cup is a better option. At that point, they should have scrapped the results and voted again.

The other thing about Qatar is how the voting unfolded. Australia were very much expected to make it to the last round, probably battling the US for it. Australia were confident because it's only 16 years since it was in the US, only 8 years since South Korea and Japan (both up to host it individually) and the other was Qatar. Australia was absolutely positive of 3 votes in the first round. We were knocked out in the first round with ONE vote. One of two countries to not host it before, commonly viewed as one of the most beautiful places on earth and having hosted the best Olympics ever only got one vote?! It's flimflam and clear what happened - the money changed hands to knock out the most obvious contender at the beginning.

FIFA are ****s and I hope the Qatar World Cup is an absolute disaster.

Canada would be a fantastic choice, by far my favourite country in the world. Stunning scenery, incredibly friendly people, and excellent transport infrastructure. Also, because of the very cosmopolitan population, there is a huge passion for football (lots of Brits, South Americans, Asians there). It would get my vote.

Brazil is going to be fantastic.I know a few people who are going to go wether we get there or not.
Qatar is a joke.
Russia could be good but will be a nightmare getting around-plus you have the aggro of the VISA

Anyone in favour of Qatar having a World Cup in winter (or a World Cup there at all) needs their heads checked. Also need to check the facts on how they won the right to host it. They promised it would be held in July, and they would solve the heat issue by having air conditioned stadiums - not with domes...open air stadiums with air conditioning. That was the flimflam that helped win it. Then 2 weeks after it's announced, FIFA start saying maybe a winter World Cup is a better option. At that point, they should have scrapped the results and voted again.

The other thing about Qatar is how the voting unfolded. Australia were very much expected to make it to the last round, probably battling the US for it. Australia were confident because it's only 16 years since it was in the US, only 8 years since South Korea and Japan (both up to host it individually) and the other was Qatar. Australia was absolutely positive of 3 votes in the first round. We were knocked out in the first round with ONE vote. One of two countries to not host it before, commonly viewed as one of the most beautiful places on earth and having hosted the best Olympics ever only got one vote?! It's flimflam and clear what happened - the money changed hands to knock out the most obvious contender at the beginning.

FIFA are ****s and I hope the Qatar World Cup is an absolute disaster.

Excellent post

Let's face it, money talks when it comes to the bidding process for the World Cup. Ditto for the Olympics.

The answer to most questions in life is money.

The IOC did say something about not wanting expensive facilities left unused after the games, but they haven't really implemented that in their bidding process yet.

Except for TV audiences, that is one of Fifa's huge considerations.

Some of the kick off times for 2014 says otherwise.

The group stages will see matches kicking off at four different times - 1pm, 4pm, 7pm and 10pm, with the British summer time equivalent being four hours later, ie. 5pm, 8pm, 11pm and 2am

The group stages will see matches kicking off at four different times - 1pm, 4pm, 7pm and 10pm, with the British summer time equivalent being four hours later, ie. 5pm, 8pm, 11pm and 2am

The 11pm/2am one surprises me, the others are fine. Remember we aren't just talking about Britain. Right now it is 8pm in Sydney. The games would be in the morning for the UK, lunchtime in the middle east (2pm right now for me), late afternoon in the far east and through the night for the americas.

The viewing numbers in Asia are big for sure, but I suspect European broadcasters pay the most for their rights.

The viewing numbers in Asia are big for sure, but I suspect European broadcasters pay the most for their rights.

They probably do! They have to find a compromise that doesn't inconvenience anyone more than anyone else as well as being fair to the hosts. Qatar is perfect for this (not good for other reasons!).

4 different KO times?

There were 3 matches a day in the group stages of the World Cup in South Africa starting at 1:30pm, 4pm and 8:30pm.

I quite enjoyed watching the swimming at around 5:30 am before I went off to work on a Saturday during the last Olympics. I watched Phelps win one of his medals on one occasion before heading off.

Back