• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So how about a World Cup in a country you'd really enjoy visiting?

Think Canada's a great country, and likely has the venues, but I think the US would get it again before Canada does. The US should have gotten if over Qatar, and FIFA eventually will be interested again in growing soccer/football in North American. When they do that, there's really no contest as to where it should be done.

Although, doing it in Mexico would be an absolute brickshow.

Last edited:
why are people so scared of change ? id welcome something like this (just to see how it works) and i think it's great that different countries get to host the World Cup - Qatar winning the bid though does wreak of back handed deals so is not something im particularly on board with of course

I'm not bothered about change.

However there should be a limit, and adding a 'winter world cup' in the middle of the season is just miles past the line.

But where are the two weeks between the end of the season and the start of world cup training where the players get to rest? So surely you would have to increase it to eight weeks realistically? To get the best performances out of the players at the World cup?

It's not particularly feasible.

Would they need that break if they had only played half a season?

Whatever, make it eight weeks. Still sounds feasible to me and better than hosting the World Cup (almost) on the sun.

Would they need that break if they had only played half a season?

Whatever, make it eight weeks. Still sounds feasible to me and better than hosting the World Cup (almost) on the sun.

They would need that break if they were going to play the rest of the season yes.

It's better than hosting the world cup on the sun, yes, but that's because that is also a bat-brick crazy idea to begin with.

I'm not bothered about change.

However there should be a limit, and adding a 'winter world cup' in the middle of the season is just miles past the line.

well i guess there are plenty of countries that it is not in the middle of the season for, or that it falls within their winter break - why should footballing rules only pander to the bigger nations ?

well i guess there are plenty of countries that it is not in the middle of the season for, or that it falls within their winter break - why should footballing rules only pander to the bigger nations ?

I can't tell you why they should, just why they do. Money.

In my opinion it should go down to who it will disrupt the least. Are there more nations who would be playing their leagues in the 'summer' or the 'winter'?

But as we all know, It's not a democracy. More just Blatter telling people what they should want to do.

They would need that break if they were going to play the rest of the season yes.

It's better than hosting the world cup on the sun, yes, but that's because that is also a bat-brick crazy idea to begin with.

Fairly few players will actually play the entire world cup. But like I say, make it eight weeks or whatever seems good then.

I agree that hosting a World Cup in Qatar seems strange at best FIFA shouldn't have to exclude a good chunk of the world from ever hosting the world cup cause the 4 big leagues in Europe couldn't possibly have a winter break to accommodate it.

Brazil have a league that runs from February to December or something like that I think, they manage to schedule around the World Cup, but for European leagues it's impossible? I don't buy that.

Sounds just like "Oh, it's different. Don't like that" to me, combined with "Oh, FIFA are suggesting something. Must be crap".

Fairly few players will actually play the entire world cup. But like I say, make it eight weeks or whatever seems good then.

I agree that hosting a World Cup in Qatar seems strange at best FIFA shouldn't have to exclude a good chunk of the world from ever hosting the world cup cause the 4 big leagues in Europe couldn't possibly have a winter break to accommodate it.

Brazil have a league that runs from February to December or something like that I think, they manage to schedule around the World Cup, but for European leagues it's impossible? I don't buy that.

Sounds just like "Oh, it's different. Don't like that" to me, combined with "Oh, FIFA are suggesting something. Must be crap".

Barcelona and Real Madrid might disagree with you there. Quite a lot of their players will play the majority of the world cup (it can be pretty safely assumed, i.e Spain).

It's not impossible no. It's just improbable.

I can understand the want of playing the world cup everywhere, however some places will just not be feasible. It can't be helped.

Brazilian teams might do it, Though i'd be interested how many games they play a season? Is it anywhere near the 50-60 that the top teams will probably play?

If it was a proper organisation in charge of this process, then I might be open to the idea of it, but this is FIFA we are talking about.

If it was a proper organisation in charge of this process, then I might be open to the idea of it, but this is FIFA we are talking about.

It won't just be Fifa. And that will be the problem. It will be all of the different FA's, Plus Uefa most likely, as some of the Champions league and Europa would require shifting.

I have been to Canada - Edmonton actually - the people didnt really like me they didnt seem to like the English but maybe thats just me cos i fudgeD MOST OF THEIR WOMEN HAHA.

I loved it and would love to go again. Maybe Toronto. Apart from New york the only other place I would move to is Canada. Seems like right up my street.

Barcelona and Real Madrid might disagree with you there. Quite a lot of their players will play the majority of the world cup (it can be pretty safely assumed, i.e Spain).

It's not impossible no. It's just improbable.

I can understand the want of playing the world cup everywhere, however some places will just not be feasible. It can't be helped.

Brazilian teams might do it, Though i'd be interested how many games they play a season? Is it anywhere near the 50-60 that the top teams will probably play?

Like I said, make it eight weeks then...

I can be helped. Just a big of rescheduling, looks like FIFA are considering it at least so I don't think it's as dead in the water as you are suggesting.

Brazilian league has 20 teams in it, they also have a regional competition teams compete in, they have a cup and the Copa Libertadores.

If people can accept that the Premier League stops for 2 months (or possibly a bit less) for the World Cup mid season one year (or once every 20-30 years) then I really don't see what the big deal is.

It won't just be Fifa. And that will be the problem. It will be all of the different FA's, Plus Uefa most likely, as some of the Champions league and Europa would require shifting.

It doesn't sound that difficult, I'm sure they'll manage if they want it to happen.

How difficult is it to plan a footballing schedule with a break in it? The Champions League? Ok then, yeah, that couldn't possibly have a 2 month break in it... Oh. Wait.

You make some good points braineclipse. But I'm still skeptical about the feasibility of it.

I don't trust FIFA to get anything right whilst Blatter is in charge.

You make some good points braineclipse. But I'm still skeptical about the feasibility of it.

FIFA do get some stuff wrong, but when it comes to actually get games organized and played they get it right just about always. Same with UEFA and football associations in the different countries. They're not inept at putting together a fixture list, quite possibly because it's not the hardest thing in the world.

He does make good points, but i still can't see it happening. Mostly because the clubs with the most money won't particularly want it to happen.

He does make good points, but i still can't see it happening. Mostly because the clubs with the most money won't particularly want it to happen.

Thanks both of you.

How much power does the rich clubs have over FIFA? I realize that over UEFA and the national associations they have quite a bit of power as they threaten the European Super league if they don't get their way. But does that work with FIFA? FIFA doesn't have a direct financial interest in the Champions League or national leagues.

Thanks both of you.

How much power does the rich clubs have over FIFA? I realize that over UEFA and the national associations they have quite a bit of power as they threaten the European Super league if they don't get their way. But does that work with FIFA? FIFA doesn't have a direct financial interest in the Champions League or national leagues.

The rich clubs generally have a large amount of sway within the media.

Quatar are trying to make themselves look good, which could become complicated. The average fan will believe most of what he reads in papers after all. If bara/madrid/united declare that this would be 'bad for football', the public outcry would be particularly large.

The rich clubs generally have a large amount of sway within the media.

Quatar are trying to make themselves look good, which could become complicated. The average fan will believe most of what he reads in papers after all. If bara/madrid/united declare that this would be 'bad for football', the public outcry would be particularly large.

I agree. Just thinking that probably the rich clubs have more sway with UEFA than FIFA?

I feel quite confident somewhere at FIFA there is a department with 15-20 people who have one job only. To collectively not give a brick about public outcries.

I wouldn't be adverse to it being held in Canada tbh. I know its a pretty multi cultural place in the major cities like Toronto so it should be pretty welcoming to all fans. I was 12 when the USA hosted the World Cup in '94 and I do remember it pretty well but I wasn't impressed. I remember Ireland playing against Mexico in temperatures over 40c at 2pm local time which to me just seemed absolutely stupid. I know that they have to deal with TV audiences (mainly europe) but the scheduling should have been alot better to protect the players involved and allow for a better quality of tournament in consequence.

From how I remember it, USA '94 wasn't terribly exciting other than Brazil winning as expected at the time and looking quite good doing it although they did ride their luck in the knockout stages especially against Holland. Maybe the show would be put on better if the US had it again but at the time it just didn't seem to be hosted that well imo.

I don't have any issue of sharing it around but due to infrastructure and being in a central place on the planet in terms of time zones, it makes sense to have every other world cup in Europe saving for exceptional circumstances. Other than that I like the idea of it being played in differing countries as long as there is a compelling reason for it being there. Places like Australia and Canada to my mind have a more compelling call in terms of hosting it by comparison to Qatar if for no other reason than the legacy it would leave behind.

Back