• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Smart Thermostats

Spursman

Neil Sullivan
I have got a standard thermostat where you can time the heating to come on. I would like to replace this with a smart one which should enable me to control the heating on my phone so that even if i am out the house i can turn it on/off

I have looked into the usual suspects like Hive and Nest but there are so many variations.

Which one would people recommend? is there an attachment i could buy for my existing thermostat to make it smart?

Nest user here.
It does what it says on the tin.

It takes a few weeks to calibrate to your homes ideal temperature.
That will depend on where you site it (just need a 3 pin socket like an iPhone charger or you can hard wire it in) and personal ambient temperature likes.

Just want something where i can turn heating on and off on my phone. home and away
Hive does this well, you can do it manually or set it up to turn on when you are close to home (linked to GPS on your phone). It has 6 different heating schedules a day so you can have it turn on and off (linked to temperature daily) If you have any British Gas stuff (including homecare) you can get it half price

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hive-active-heating-12450-british-gas-rewards-3092145

otherwise you get a Alexa spot

https://www.hivehome.com/products/hive-active-heating/buy

Thanks, might have come at a good time. My deal with Npower runs out end of November so could sign up with British Gas and save £100 getting this. Might offset the higher tariff price.

seems like a British gas customer can get a code for me and i dont need to sign up with them. anyone a BG customer?

Last edited:
Ive gone for the HIVE deal. Only problem is ive got to wait till December to installation! will see if i can get it done sooner. Looks easy enough to install.

Ive gone for the HIVE deal. Only problem is ive got to wait till December to installation! will see if i can get it done sooner. Looks easy enough to install.
Installed mine myself - it's fairly easy. Boiler was on a fused switch, so just ran a 3A fused switch from that and installed the thermostat on that.

*Instructions may differ for your thermostat*

Installed mine myself - it's fairly easy. Boiler was on a fused switch, so just ran a 3A fused switch from that and installed the thermostat on that.

*Instructions may differ for your thermostat*
Does your stat just kill the power to the boiler?

Does your stat just kill the power to the boiler?
Since he fitted it himself, probably kill him and anyone within a 3 house radius.

Actually that's a foolish thing to say, Scara's mansion will be surrounded by several acres on all sides.

Back