• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Shane Long

We'll be lucky to have a second/third choice striker who is as prolific as our first choice. I think that Long is a decent player, whose game would be a good fit for a Poch side. He would not be my first choice but I would not be unhappy if we signed him.

Of course we would be lucky in fact its not going to happen, however if we lose Kane ( injury etc) who averages one goal every two games and replace him with (Long) who averages a goal in nearly five games we are going to be in trouble.

I am a big fan of Levy but if Long is to be our stand by for Kane even I would be unhappy.

Of course we would be lucky in fact its not going to happen, however if we lose Kane ( injury etc) who averages one goal every two games and replace him with (Long) who averages a goal in nearly five games we are going to be in trouble.

I am a big fan of Levy but if Long is to be our stand by for Kane even I would be unhappy.
Last season he was scoring at a 1 in 3 rate according to the PL official site (0.36 per game). Not brilliant of course but not a complete car crash. Personally I think we can do better, especially with the lure of CL football this time out, but I kinda like Long's energy too.

Last edited:
Last season he was scoring at a 1 in 3 rate according to the PL official site (0.36 per game). Not brilliant of course but not a complete car crash. Personally I think we can do better, especially with the lure of CL football this time out, but I kinda Long's energy too.

I agree his energy is very good and would suit Poch's pressing game, but as I say his scoring record is not good overall and I think for the position he would be needed ( Kane's) it would leave a big hole. All about opinions though.

I think his scoring record would improve in our team. Not sure I want him, but past stats don't consider the quality of the teams her played on.

Decent follow on Poch looking at Long.
http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/shane-long-transfer-inside-story/80117

The inside story of how Shane Long became one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe

By Dion Fanning

When Shane Long hears people talk about this season being a turning point, he might be tempted to look back to when things truly changed.

He might note where he stands in his career this summer as some of the biggest clubs in Europe pay attention to him, compare it to other stages of his footballing life and feel that the turning points were long ago.

There was a time when Long’s rawness as a footballer was viewed as such a hindrance that Reading were considering letting him go to Darlington. If he moves club this summer, his choices will be grander.

On Friday night, Mauricio Pochettino was at the Aviva as part of a Tottenham Hotspur delegation looking at the forward, who scored Ireland's only goal.

It is now likely that Long will leave Southampton after the European Championships as a number of clubs monitor a player whose idiosyncrasies, which were once viewed as a hindrance, are now seen as one of his strengths.

Famously, after a childhood devoted to GAA, Long didn’t take up football until he was 12. In a game which is now dominated by players educated in academies, his differences make him stand out.

English football slavishly follows trends, but this trend may benefit Long. The success of Jamie Vardy has forced clubs to be more imaginative, to consider that there are more routes to the top than a graduation from a top academy.

Now they are reflecting that some players schooled differently can make a big difference as they have not had the instinct taken out of them and Long fits comfortably into this category.

There are times when he can be frustrating, but his goalscoring record continues to improve. His energy appeals to clubs like Tottenham and Liverpool, but he has attracted interest from Spain and Italy, with Juventus also said to be looking at the player who scored for his country again on Friday night.

There has always been speculation linking Long with European clubs only for him to remain among the mid-table sides in the Premier League, but there is a sense that, at 29, things are different now.

His age should be no restriction as he developed late and has played fewer high intensity games than those who started playing in the top flight in their late teens.

If he has a successful European Championships then his appeal will extend further than the Premier League, but he is still likely to stay in England, even if he leaves Southampton.

Ronald Koeman wants to keep him and, having signed Charlie Austin in January on a rumoured £70,000 a week, it may be that the club have to give a lot in the renegotiation of Long’s contract.

He has two years left on his current deal and Tottenham have been interested for some time. They know a lot about Long at White Hart Lane. Pochettino attended the game on Friday night with his assistant Jesús Pérez and the club’s head of recruitment Paul Mitchell.

Mitchell was previously at Southampton where he signed Long in 2014 shortly before he followed Pochettino to Spurs.

Pochettino, who left Southampton the summer Long arrived at the club, was pictured with the player’s adviser Pat Dolan at the game against Holland at the Aviva. Also in the party was Nicky Hammond, who is now with West Brom, but was the director of football at Reading when Long signed for the club as part of the deal which brought Kevin Doyle from Cork City.

The group enjoyed a meal at Luna restaurant in Dublin’s city centre afterwards, and with Champions League football next season, Pochettino may be tempted to follow up on his interest and add Long to his squad.

Liverpool have been linked with a move as well, and while there was little in the rumour in January, Long’s form since the turn of the year has altered the view of him within the club.

For many the turning point was Long’s goal against Germany, but that might be too simplistic a view of his development.

The goal against Germany might have given Long confidence, but others might have more confidence in him as well.

Certainly Long had struggled over the course of the campaign. When he was selected ahead of Robbie Keane for the game against Scotland in Glasgow, it was seen as the changing of the guard, but the defeat and the poor performance in that match seemed to set him back in Martin O’Neill’s eyes. When Poland visited Dublin in March, Keane started again with Long on the bench.

It’s staggering to thing that Daryl Murphy was selected ahead of Long for the game against Scotland in June, as well as the Germany match when, of course, Long came on to score. Long also came from the bench to equalise against Poland in March so O’Neill may have needed plenty of persuasion too. Murphy or Doyle may now struggle to make the squad, although it is Long’s room-mate Doyle who will be under threat from the emergence of David McGoldrick as well as O’Neill’s selection of James McClean upfront.

Injury is the only thing that will stop Long going to France as Ireland's first-choice forward which is quite a change.

At the start of this season, O’Neill still sounded unconvinced by Long, stressing his need to score more goals.

“Shane is capable of scoring a great goal but what we want Shane to be is a great goal-scorer,” O’Neill said last August. “Whatever you say about him, Robbie Keane comes out and plays a No 10 role quite often. He's done it at Tottenham and different clubs but can still find time to get into the penalty box to score a goal because that's what he feels is his major contribution. Shane has got to get into that mentality.”

Since August, Long has demonstrated his mentality. He could be on the verge of a special summer for club and country, but the turning points were long ago.

SaintsWeb are positively amazed that anyone would want him whatsoever. I'm inclined to agree with their incredulous reaction; if Shane Long's what we're looking at in a summer when nearly every club is looking to pull off massive signings with their TV money, we've already thrown in the towel on a whole lot of players people generally assumed we'd be looking to acquire above the likes of Long.

He's a decent, hard-working, fast player. I wouldn't mind him here. But he's technically limited, can't pass more than 5 yards to save his life, misses about 4 out of every 5 chances (going by SaintsWeb), and will hardly improve given his age. If we're desperate, I wouldn't mind him one bit. But I was sort of hoping that this summer wouldn't see us being desperate.

If we get two strikers, one for very big money and then Shane Long, I don't think that would be a bad summer at all.
We don't need wholesale change. But having Kane, Batshuayi (for example) and Long to challenge in the League, CL and cups isn't shabby.

Decent follow on Poch looking at Long.
http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/shane-long-transfer-inside-story/80117

The inside story of how Shane Long became one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe

By Dion Fanning

When Shane Long hears people talk about this season being a turning point, he might be tempted to look back to when things truly changed.

He might note where he stands in his career this summer as some of the biggest clubs in Europe pay attention to him, compare it to other stages of his footballing life and feel that the turning points were long ago.

There was a time when Long’s rawness as a footballer was viewed as such a hindrance that Reading were considering letting him go to Darlington. If he moves club this summer, his choices will be grander.

On Friday night, Mauricio Pochettino was at the Aviva as part of a Tottenham Hotspur delegation looking at the forward, who scored Ireland's only goal.

It is now likely that Long will leave Southampton after the European Championships as a number of clubs monitor a player whose idiosyncrasies, which were once viewed as a hindrance, are now seen as one of his strengths.

Famously, after a childhood devoted to GAA, Long didn’t take up football until he was 12. In a game which is now dominated by players educated in academies, his differences make him stand out.

English football slavishly follows trends, but this trend may benefit Long. The success of Jamie Vardy has forced clubs to be more imaginative, to consider that there are more routes to the top than a graduation from a top academy.

Now they are reflecting that some players schooled differently can make a big difference as they have not had the instinct taken out of them and Long fits comfortably into this category.

There are times when he can be frustrating, but his goalscoring record continues to improve. His energy appeals to clubs like Tottenham and Liverpool, but he has attracted interest from Spain and Italy, with Juventus also said to be looking at the player who scored for his country again on Friday night.

There has always been speculation linking Long with European clubs only for him to remain among the mid-table sides in the Premier League, but there is a sense that, at 29, things are different now.

His age should be no restriction as he developed late and has played fewer high intensity games than those who started playing in the top flight in their late teens.

If he has a successful European Championships then his appeal will extend further than the Premier League, but he is still likely to stay in England, even if he leaves Southampton.

Ronald Koeman wants to keep him and, having signed Charlie Austin in January on a rumoured £70,000 a week, it may be that the club have to give a lot in the renegotiation of Long’s contract.

He has two years left on his current deal and Tottenham have been interested for some time. They know a lot about Long at White Hart Lane. Pochettino attended the game on Friday night with his assistant Jesús Pérez and the club’s head of recruitment Paul Mitchell.

Mitchell was previously at Southampton where he signed Long in 2014 shortly before he followed Pochettino to Spurs.

Pochettino, who left Southampton the summer Long arrived at the club, was pictured with the player’s adviser Pat Dolan at the game against Holland at the Aviva. Also in the party was Nicky Hammond, who is now with West Brom, but was the director of football at Reading when Long signed for the club as part of the deal which brought Kevin Doyle from Cork City.

The group enjoyed a meal at Luna restaurant in Dublin’s city centre afterwards, and with Champions League football next season, Pochettino may be tempted to follow up on his interest and add Long to his squad.

Liverpool have been linked with a move as well, and while there was little in the rumour in January, Long’s form since the turn of the year has altered the view of him within the club.

For many the turning point was Long’s goal against Germany, but that might be too simplistic a view of his development.

The goal against Germany might have given Long confidence, but others might have more confidence in him as well.

Certainly Long had struggled over the course of the campaign. When he was selected ahead of Robbie Keane for the game against Scotland in Glasgow, it was seen as the changing of the guard, but the defeat and the poor performance in that match seemed to set him back in Martin O’Neill’s eyes. When Poland visited Dublin in March, Keane started again with Long on the bench.

It’s staggering to thing that Daryl Murphy was selected ahead of Long for the game against Scotland in June, as well as the Germany match when, of course, Long came on to score. Long also came from the bench to equalise against Poland in March so O’Neill may have needed plenty of persuasion too. Murphy or Doyle may now struggle to make the squad, although it is Long’s room-mate Doyle who will be under threat from the emergence of David McGoldrick as well as O’Neill’s selection of James McClean upfront.

Injury is the only thing that will stop Long going to France as Ireland's first-choice forward which is quite a change.

At the start of this season, O’Neill still sounded unconvinced by Long, stressing his need to score more goals.

“Shane is capable of scoring a great goal but what we want Shane to be is a great goal-scorer,” O’Neill said last August. “Whatever you say about him, Robbie Keane comes out and plays a No 10 role quite often. He's done it at Tottenham and different clubs but can still find time to get into the penalty box to score a goal because that's what he feels is his major contribution. Shane has got to get into that mentality.”

Since August, Long has demonstrated his mentality. He could be on the verge of a special summer for club and country, but the turning points were long ago.
tl;dr;)

If Levy had any hair he would be tearing it out at this Poch pursuit of Long.

Just imagine the comments from fans if it were H Redknapp going after 30 year old Long valued in the 20 mill bracket, a striker with an average goal record and inconsistencies in his performances.

If we get two strikers, one for very big money and then Shane Long, I don't think that would be a bad summer at all.
We don't need wholesale change. But having Kane, Batshuayi (for example) and Long to challenge in the League, CL and cups isn't shabby.

Why would they sell him cheap

They paid £12m for him IIRC

I would be over the moon if we got Shane Long.. Wanted him for a long time as I think he is a ver underated player. A very effective player and would make a great replacement for Kane when needed or as a pair when he could do the leg work and distract and let Kane take the space..

I don't understand why we need pace when everyone sets up in 2 banks of 4 against us and does not give us any space to run into.

He may be a hard worker but there is a reason why at 29 he plays for a mid table team. If we would to compete with team's managed by Mourinho, Klopp, Pep, Raneri, Wenger and Conte for the title I think we will need better than Long.

There are numerous younger players out there with a higher ceiling. I think we should not miss this opportunity to bring in quality. When we don't qualify for the CL we bitch because quality players always want to join CL teams instead of us, well this time we are in the CL so lets use this opportunity

Based on not a lot I really get the feeling Poch wasn't at that game to watch Shane Long...

Same here, having managed him before I doubt there is much he doesn't know about him already. The good thing about the article is that it probably takes the heat off who his real target is, so that we can sign them 'under the radar' so to speak

Same here, having managed him before I doubt there is much he doesn't know about him already. The good thing about the article is that it probably takes the heat off who his real target is, so that we can sign them 'under the radar' so to speak

Poch never managed Long, however Mitchell was still at the club when Koeman signed the player.

I guess Poch would have signed Long that summer had he stayed at Southampton

He may be a hard worker but there is a reason why at 29 he plays for a mid table team. If we would to compete with team's managed by Mourinho, Klopp, Pep, Raneri, Wenger and Conte for the title I think we will need better than Long.

tickle my balls with a feather.

Poch never managed Long, however Mitchell was still at the club when Koeman signed the player.

I guess Poch would have signed Long that summer had he stayed at Southampton

Yeah, maybe while at a mid table team but not for a team playing champions league football or challenging for the title

I don't understand why we need pace when everyone sets up in 2 banks of 4 against us and does not give us any space to run into.

That=t is a naive view, a striker with pace gives us a different option. There will be times when raw pace combined with Kane's ability is the best option and other times when pace may be the best option, especially on the counter.

Back