• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

Way way WAY too early to start building hopes. It's still only November and Chel53a are still only 13 pts off fourth, dammit. Never forget the season A'nal came back to knock us out of CL when they were 13 pts behind as late as something like February. We've had too many crushing crashes at the death to even begin hoping at this early stage.

I think it's OK and being reasonable to begin hoping, just don't start acting like it's sealed.

Back in that season I took the p**s out of my Gooner mates relentlessly. What I received back was (and still isn't) very nice... Live and learn.

Its actually hard to argue with the individuals selected in that team, its encouraging that we don't have a single standout player, just highlights that we are a team!

What i'm not liking at the moment is the slight over-hyping of Alli, I don't mean to say that the kid isn't brilliant, but part of me feels he's being promoted that little bit more in the media as hes a young, talented English midfielder.

England increased their lead again today and are now 3.6 ahead of Italy. Next summer England will lose 3.9 points more than Italy and a couple more each of the following seasons, so we need the other teams (especially those in the CL) to do well.
Emirates Marketing Project are already in the next round, Man Utd are probably favourites to progress from their group, Chelsea are also probably favourites to progress, Arsenal of course need results to go in their favour. I would say that are odds against at the moment, but there is no reason why they can't beat Zagreb and then Olympiakos by 2 clear goals.... Hopefully they won't however!

Juventus are odds on to join Emirates Marketing Project in the next round. Roma are probably favourites to progress from their group as both them and Leverkusen have to play Barca and BATE (who are the groups whipping boys) with Roma having a point advantage over Leverkusen currently. The only glimmer that Leverkusen have is that Roma go away to Barca and a Barca win will guarantee them top spot in the group. Leverkusen would then host Barcelona in the last game with Barca already having won the group.

In the Europa League both ourselves and Liverpool will be favourites to go through, but both of us still have work to do and neither club may end up topping their group (which will mean a more difficult next match).

Of the Italian clubs - Napoli have already qualified and pretty much guaranteed top spot, Lazio have all but qualified and also look like they will take top spot. Fiorentina look odds on to qualify and might still finish top.

Southampton and (especially) West Ham were a big let down for England in terms of coefficient points

Emirates Marketing Project are already in the next round, Man Utd are probably favourites to progress from their group, Chel53a are also probably favourites to progress, Arsenal of course need results to go in their favour. I would say that are odds against at the moment, but there is no reason why they can't beat Zagreb and then Olympiakos by 2 clear goals.... Hopefully they won't however!

Juventus are odds on to join Emirates Marketing Project in the next round. Roma are probably favourites to progress from their group as both them and Leverkusen have to play Barca and BATE (who are the groups whipping boys) with Roma having a point advantage over Leverkusen currently. The only glimmer that Leverkusen have is that Roma go away to Barca and a Barca win will guarantee them top spot in the group. Leverkusen would then host Barcelona in the last game with Barca already having won the group.

In the Europa League both ourselves and Liverpool will be favourites to go through, but both of us still have work to do and neither club may end up topping their group (which will mean a more difficult next match).

Of the Italian clubs - Napoli have already qualified and pretty much guaranteed top spot, Lazio have all but qualified and also look like they will take top spot. Fiorentina look odds on to qualify and might still finish top.

Southampton and (especially) West Ham were a big let down for England in terms of coefficient points

fudge me, that starts off well but end up as grim reading:(

Its actually hard to argue with the individuals selected in that team, its encouraging that we don't have a single standout player, just highlights that we are a team!

What i'm not liking at the moment is the slight over-hyping of Alli, I don't mean to say that the kid isn't brilliant, but part of me feels he's being promoted that little bit more in the media as hes a young, talented English midfielder.

Thing is, the vast majority of that team are (in my opinion), nothing more than decent players in the form of their life. I'd actually be surprised if most of them are in serious contention for team of season at end of it all.

Alli is usual English media grasping at random next great thing (personally I have no idea how the media is more excited about Alli than Dier), it may be one of the reasons Poch might do well to sit Alli for a few games at some point.

I wonder if ourselves and Liverpool could use the situation to our advantage by getting on the EPLs case about fixture congestion around our EL matches - It's in the leagues interest as much as it is ours now

I wonder if ourselves and Liverpool could use the situation to our advantage by getting on the EPLs case about fixture congestion around our EL matches - It's in the leagues interest as much as it is ours now

the fact Liverpool are in that situation now will probably swing them into action on it anyway

They don't care .. that's been obvious for some time now. Other league have allowed adjustments to league schedule based on European commitments for some time.

Can i just say that i HATE this thread appearing before February!:mad:

However, whilst this monstrouserty of a thread is open can i say that many Gooners i know were impressed with us when they saw us on Sunday.

Yes they felt that they could have nicked it in the end but said that we could have been out of sight by then and felt lucky to get a point. They were gushing about how Pochettino has us playing.

They were then split into two camps after that:

1st - we have 4th there for us if we REALLY want it
2nd - we are showing more ability to grow than Manure and could finish ahead of them and eventually closer to themselves and City

BOTH groups said the likely thing was that neither would happen because in the spring we'd "mess up our run-in as we usually do"...

It's also interesting to compare this thread with this one: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/commun...s-closed-where-do-you-think-well-finish.7944/

Last edited:
Can i just say that i HATE this thread appearing before February!:mad:

However, whilst this monstrouserty of a thread is open can i say that many Gooners i know were impressed with us when they saw us on Sunday.

Yes they felt that they could have nicked it in the end but said that we could have been out of sight by then and felt lucky to get a point. They were gushing about how Pochettino has us playing.

They were then split into two camps after that:

1st - we have 4th there for us if we REALLY want it
2nd - we are showing more ability to grow than Manure and could finish ahead of them and eventually closer to themselves and City

BOTH groups said the likely thing was that neither would happen because in the spring we'd "mess up our run-in as we usually do"...

It's also interesting to compare this thread with this one: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/commun...s-closed-where-do-you-think-well-finish.7944/

day by day, game by game, that's all we can do ...

keep the run through November, then xmas, then the run in ...

its really no different to anyone else, how many times have the Scum fudged up any real title challenge in February in the last 8 years? no doubt one/both of West Ham, Leicester will end up outside the top 8, despite their start.

Emirates Marketing Project are already in the next round, Man Utd are probably favourites to progress from their group, Chel53a are also probably favourites to progress, Arsenal of course need results to go in their favour. I would say that are odds against at the moment, but there is no reason why they can't beat Zagreb and then Olympiakos by 2 clear goals.... Hopefully they won't however!

England's advantage is having more CL teams. They get more points per win AND they get 5 points for qualifying for the knockout stages. EL teams get nothing. All 4 CL teams going through means 20 points. Divided by 8 that's 2.5. If both Italian clubs go through they get 10 points. Divided by 6 that is 1.67. Arsenal finishing second is a big plus. They'll never win it, we won't have to worry about them winning the EL and England get more points.

England's advantage is having more CL teams. They get more points per win AND they get 5 points for qualifying for the knockout stages. EL teams get nothing. All 4 CL teams going through means 20 points. Divided by 8 that's 2.5. If both Italian clubs go through they get 10 points. Divided by 6 that is 1.67. Arsenal finishing second is a big plus. They'll never win it, we won't have to worry about them winning the EL and England get more points.

Wow, it's almost like the whole thing is setup to reward those already being rewarded by it.

Wow, it's almost like the whole thing is setup to reward those already being rewarded by it.

I think it seems like a pretty decent system... Germany overtook Italy after years of it being very similar, well deserved and came at a time when the German league actually seemed to overtake the Italian in terms of quality, probably with a season or two of "lag time".

I wouldn't want to see a system of constant fluctuation where it changed from season to season myself.

I think it seems like a pretty decent system... Germany overtook Italy after years of it being very similar, well deserved and came at a time when the German league actually seemed to overtake the Italian in terms of quality, probably with a season or two of "lag time".

I wouldn't want to see a system of constant fluctuation where it changed from season to season myself.

Yeah - it has seemed to reflect quite well the cycles of the respective leagues. Broadly:

1990s:
1) Italy
2) France
3) England

2000s
1) England
2) Spain
3) Germany

2010s
1) Spain
2) Germany
3) England/Italy

all true, and I'm not sure a ranked system would work any better another way, but it does make the barrier of entry higher

all true, and I'm not sure a ranked system would work any better another way, but it does make the barrier of entry higher

I think that could very well be a feature rather than a bug. Would we want to see rapid fluctuations where leagues have 4 places one year, 3 the next then back to 4 a year or two after that? I think a fairly high barrier of entry makes sure that a league actually has to overtake another and get reasonably far ahead rather than a single good run for one thing or an off season for a couple others making a huge impact.

Back