• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sergio Reguilón

bloody loved seeing Reguilon tearing it up the left.

Sure it's been shared already, but since 2018, number of assists in domestic games from our LB:

Davies: 0
Reguilon: 1

I like Davies, but great to see a proper LB bombing forward.

bloody loved seeing Reguilon tearing it up the left.

Sure it's been shared already, but since 2018, number of assists in domestic games from our LB:

Davies: 0
Reguilon: 1

I like Davies, but great to see a proper LB bombing forward.
It’s a hugely different dynamic
What’s scary is 2 years ago ish Davies created the most assists of any defender in the league

So says the poster who once had it in for Onomah big time.:p

I never rated him good enough for us but I challenge you to find where I post a personal attack on him or said anything which has proven to be wrong or that he was brick, fudging useless, a liability, gutless, a waste of space or any of the other constructive criticism that is the norm on here to any player who is not flavour of the month. The problem was like many kids at the club they look world beaters at age level football and fans who only see small samples of their play think it's easy to transfer that to the 1st team, it's not. He may turn out to develop in a less pressured environment and I hope he does as I like all the players at the club, but realise not all of them will make it to the top level.

I never rated him good enough for us but I challenge you to find where I post a personal attack on him or said anything which has proven to be wrong or that he was brick, fudging useless, a liability, gutless, a waste of space or any of the other constructive criticism that is the norm on here to any player who is not flavour of the month. The problem was like many kids at the club they look world beaters at age level football and fans who only see small samples of their play think it's easy to transfer that to the 1st team, it's not. He may turn out to develop in a less pressured environment and I hope he does as I like all the players at the club, but realise not all of them will make it to the top level.
Most of the discussions about Onomah have gone but I've found these more recent ones:

If only Edwards and Onomah showed as much commitment as Walkes they would be pushing to be in our squad, talent is not enough.

I've seen him play both fullback position, holding midfield and box to box, can be difficult for some players to cope with, but I believe this is what they do in Holland with young players so that get a better understanding of the game. He always looks a tidy player and I hope he continues to develop his game, I have never thought he would make it with us, but I'd be glad to be proved wrong, if only Edwards and Onomah had his heart.

... he has no drive and despite having a good range of skills he wants to play at walking pace. There's only one person who will change my mind about Onomah and that him.

I'm frankly struggling to see any significant difference in tone or content between my comment about the contrast in pace between Reguilon and Davies and yours comparing Onamah and Edwards with others that in your opinion showed more commitment.

Most of the discussions about Onomah have gone but I've found these more recent ones:

I'm frankly struggling to see any significant difference in tone or content between my comment about the contrast in pace between Reguilon and Davies and yours comparing Onamah and Edwards with others that in your opinion showed more commitment.

My points was that I was always down on Onanmah your examples show I was pointing out his limitations at a time when many were seeing him and Edwards as the second coming. I was not criticising you for your comments on Davies and Reguilion but the underlying trend on here to go over the top on players, far too often players are either brick or world class when they are neither just professionals doing their best, as in walks of life some are better than others and some try harder. I hope I have only pointed out what my opinion of the ability of the players to be a success for us rather than attack them personally whenever they make an error. I sorry if you think I was implying you where one of the headless chickens.

My points was that I was always down on Onanmah your examples show I was pointing out his limitations at a time when many were seeing him and Edwards as the second coming. I was not criticising you for your comments on Davies and Reguilion but the underlying trend on here to go over the top on players, far too often players are either brick or world class when they are neither just professionals doing their best, as in walks of life some are better than others and some try harder. I hope I have only pointed out what my opinion of the ability of the players to be a success for us rather than attack them personally whenever they make an error. I sorry if you think I was implying you where one of the headless chickens.
Hmm I don't think it's over the top to say that Davies is rather poor offensively and even in just his first appearance Reguillion has demonstrated improved offensive skills and presence. I'm really not the type to jump to quick assessments of players but the quality difference is so obvious and mainly because Davies has become so poor in that regard rather than Reguilion being the second coming of Roberto Carlos.

The defensive aspect of his game remains to be seen and hopefully the double mistake he made leading to their goal is not a reoccurring trend but time will tell.

Hmm I don't think it's over the top to say that Davies is rather poor offensively and even in just his first appearance Reguillion has demonstrated improved offensive skills and presence. I'm really not the type to jump to quick assessments of players but the quality difference is so obvious and mainly because Davies has become so poor in that regard rather than Reguilion being the second coming of Roberto Carlos.

The defensive aspect of his game remains to be seen and hopefully the double mistake he made leading to their goal is not a reoccurring trend but time will tell.

My original posting was a sarcastic comment on how sensible comparisons on players ability are rare and the norm is to go over the top. Hopefully both players give us positive opinions, Reguilion appears to offer a more dynamic attacking outlet only time will tell how successful he is.

I feel that it is over the top. As Bedford said, he was the leading assists defender a couple seasons back and of late it's like people literally have not noticed that Davies has often been playing as a tucked in LCB for Jose and the RB is given duties to rampage. AS @K.D.D.D.D.Soc is eluding to, a player either seems to be a GHod or total brick.

In addition you've got to think who Davies has had in front of him during his time here. Mainly Son I but Eriksen too, sometimes both have been just a little lacking in their defensive commitment but why would we look at the bigger picture when we can just label Davies as rather poor offensively?

Back to Sergio, Jose was spot on about the mentality after the mistake though. Some would have retreated in to their shell and instead the young lad helped turn the game around and you love to see it. I did spot three mistakes in in the build up to their goal from him but who is counting :p

I feel that it is over the top. As Bedford said, he was the leading assists defender a couple seasons back and of late it's like people literally have not noticed that Davies has often been playing as a tucked in LCB for Jose and the RB is given duties to rampage. AS @K.D.D.D.D.Soc is eluding to, a player either seems to be a GHod or total brick.

In addition you've got to think who Davies has had in front of him during his time here. Mainly Son I but Eriksen too, sometimes both have been just a little lacking in their defensive commitment but why would we look at the bigger picture when we can just label Davies as rather poor offensively?

Back to Sergio, Jose was spot on about the meteorology after the mistake though. Some would have retreated in to their shell and instead the young lad helped turn the game around and you love to see it. I did spot three mistakes in in the build up to their goal from him but who is counting :p

Davies is a decent LB, good engine, pretty good record re injuries (so reliable), but he is what he is (no more upside)

For me, what Reguilon brings changes our team
- Pace, no opposition likes to play against pace, and a left side of Reguilon & Son will have teams doubling up on that side, or sitting super deep to counter the threat.
- Threat from both sides, with Reguilon and Son up on one side, and Doherty and Bale up on the other side, again teams will be forced to be less adventurous.
- Crazy upside, beyond his pace, his comfort on the ball and passing was clear, and his postioning, he could have had two goals ..

I'm really interested to see our defensive record when the first 11 is in place, not because I think the back line is so much better, but because teams will be forced to consider the threat we bring (more than just managing Kane/Son)

Back to Sergio, Jose was spot on about the meteorology after the mistake though. Some would have retreated in to their shell and instead the young lad helped turn the game around and you love to see it. I did spot three mistakes in in the build up to their goal from him but who is counting :p

For the most part i don't think anyone has compared their defensive merits as that remains to be seen. So talking about how much support he has had or hasn't is irrelevant. They aren't making him cross to no one, they aren't making him pass backwards, that is his own game. He is a more defensively orientated LB and there is no shame in that.

Those stats from 2 years ago are good but are a one off, he does not in general have good assisting stats. If we look at his overall offensive contribution over the years it is pretty average and the last two years has been poor.

Of course there is something between the extremes but again I don't think anyone has really gone to the extremes re Davies apart from criticising his attacking play which is perfectly valid imo. Between himself and Rose was always the more effective attacker (although he was no more accurate in his crossing).

For the most part i don't think anyone has compared their defensive merits as that remains to be seen. So talking about how much support he has had or hasn't is irrelevant. They aren't making him cross to no one, they aren't making him pass backwards, that is his own game. He is a more defensively orientated LB and there is no shame in that.

Those stats from 2 years ago are good but are a one off, he does not in general have good assisting stats. If we look at his overall offensive contribution over the years it is pretty average and the last two years has been poor.

If we're comparing LBs the defensive aspect is pretty important as there is less cover available in that area of the pitch.

I respect your opinion and I'm not trying to make a case that Davies is a better attacking presence. Respectfully though, please don't tell me what's relevant / irrelevant as I'm quite aware. Any context or addition information is never going to counter "Player runs really fast" so evidently it's just going to be swept aside anyway. I haven't disagreed with anything on here apart from your assertion that Davies is poor offensively. Whatever you write on here is not going to make me forget the part he has played now a shiny toy has turned up.

Even if it may not seem so from my posting of late I am in to positivity as an idea but find it a bit funny when we're voting our LB MOTM despite him being the textbook definition of culpable for the goal. This is may be systemic of the ridiculous scorelines we had when Jose got here, it's like every other game was a 3 - 2 and it's a rollercoaster of a game but it's not a defensive masterclass by any stretch.

Back