1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Serge Aurier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by milo, 31 Aug 2017.

1. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Chris Perry

His crossing is good, always has been - but has also been really inconsistent.

I remember in early games of his, he was putting in some fabulous crosses. Early, whipped in, improvised even - one game he bent two in on the outside of his left foot and they were quality!

He has always had it in him, but just not consistently.

I feel like his whole game has tightened up recently.

nayenezgani and thfcsteff like this.
  2. parklane1

parklane1 Dimitar Berbatov

He is starting to look a very good player, i always thought there was a player in there and he is now showing it.

Robbo, thfcsteff, Yermiyahu and 3 others like this.
  3. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Sergei Rebrov

He seems more at home in the Champions League than he does in the Premier League. Loves playing alongside Sissoko and I love watching them. Good level of performance against Inter.

4. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Tom Huddlestone

The BIG change.. no rash decisions
    Everything is kept simple when needed and he looks solid now

5. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Andy Thompson Staff Member

Incredible. He has looked great. That him and Sissoko are rising together is great for the club.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

nayenezgani likes this.
  6. thfcsteff

I have to admit I wondered if he was mature enough. Delighted to see he is. I will say I always felt Sissoko had it in him though...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

7. greatwhitenorf

greatwhitenorf Didier Zokora

In my time working at the heart of the world of sports, I've had access to many interesting comments and conversations between players and coaches.

One of my favourite expressions comes from the hurly-burly of the world's fastest sport, ice hockey. The game today moves at incredible pace with no time for Guardiola-type lectures or exchange of hand signals with players in the heat of the action. What there is time for are quick, simple verbal commands.

'Easy, early' resonated with me the first time I heard a coach use it. So simple. Make the easy play as early as possible.

That's what we're seeing with Aurier these days. Doesn't try to create complicated situations or make high-risk passes. Just uses the ball quickly and efficiently to create more space for himself to move on or make a more decisive pass.

Easy, early.

All night, all day, Aurier.

8. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Chris Perry

When I played for Norways u-16 team, that was one of the mantras of the coaches. And "precision over power".

9. Robbo

Robbo Edgar Davids

Intriguing!

nayenezgani likes this.
  10. greatwhitenorf

greatwhitenorf Didier Zokora

It's all about keeping it simple.

If Aurier does that, moments will come when he can use his triffic physical abilities to beat a man down the wing and whip in a cross or cut the ball back. I have high hopes for him. He clearly relishes the fray, just can't get carried away.

thfcsteff likes this.
  11. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Pat van den Hauwe

It was their Xmas disco. He was the DJ.

12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Tom Huddlestone

Ice hockey?

13. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Chris Perry

Football. I've actually never played hockey, though I always wanted to.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  14. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Chris Perry

Nah. Not much to brag about. I got into the squad 4 times, and started one game vs Switzerland, in which I actually scored one goal in a 4-1 win, and nearly got sent off :D
    I have to add that I only got into the squad due to a massive amount of regulars being injured or otherwise unavailable. :) The only one in the team I can remember that later had a good career, is Erik Nevland.

15. FatBloke

FatBloke John Scales

I'd definitely be more impressed if you'd played ice hockey for Norway than football. Still, fair play, more of a sporting achievement than the vast majority of people on here, myself included, will have chalked up.

16. thfcsteff

Absolutely.
    I coach age ranges from u-16 to u-12. Currently working with u-12, so youngest are 11 and eldest just under 13.
    I always work with another good coach (double up the positive) but equally, I have a steadfast rule. On match day, no shouting or bellowing complicated or waffly instruction. I have two simple instructions. Shape & focus, squeeze up high. That's it. Other than that, loud encouragement only. That is it. Constant encouragement. If there are shifts to be made? Half-time. Post-match, 2 mins max. ALL my heavy lifting/instruction and what-not, os done at our Tuesday/Thursday practices. It is my belief that with the right people-management, you can get anyone to give you 400% and feel good about it. Some of the best moments I've had with teams that have won have included seeing "that kid" work and work with encouragement to become a part of the group and to have a moment of significance in the play-offs; no better feeling than seeing a kid who was previously brick feel a part of everything. they might never play again, but they enjoyed that season.

It is why everything I see from Poch, everything I hear and observe, leaves me believing he is the best young manager in world football by a distance. And the development/patience of Aurier is stone-cold proof. If I were a young player I'd be begging to work with this man.

17. thfcsteff

I think you're being VERY humble. To play international football at any level means you are in the top percentile of footballers. Well done Sir.

18. thfcsteff

Critically last night he held off from times when he might've gone diving in before. He was great.

19. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Teemu Tainio

Absolutely. It was great to see.

20. parklane1

parklane1 Dimitar Berbatov

Finally we are getting to see what a good player he is, we forget that he has not played that many games ' (about 30) and settling into a different country and pace of game.