• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

He is the Anti-Maguire

Maguire doesnt look like he can play football but can
Aurier looks like he can play football but cant

Most frustrating player ive seen since Kaboul, i have no issues with Sissoko, he follows instructions but has limited ability. Aurier is just brainless, poor positioning and rash
Would love KWP to take over as backup, however suspect he is just going to make me angry all year, i always back out players, but we need to cut our losses ASAP

I cant see us ever selling him - given we weren't able to shift our deadwood over the summer, presumably because we wanted to recover a lot of the price paid, I cant see that we could shift Aurier. Problem is that with every game he plays, his value will drop given his performance. Lord know what Poch saw in him

I think, with the ball at his feet, he's a decent player. The cross for Dele is a good example of that. But as a defender, he is a liability imo. He just makes bad decisions when defending. From the little I have seen of KWP, I don't really know why Aurier should be blocking his path as Trippier's backup. I think we'll give Aurier the rest of this season to show something, but I don't think he will last beyond that.

I think itll shake out over the season. Either he picks up his performances or KWP starts getting chances.

1 on 1 defending he is pretty good, nice and aggressive and often gets the ball. As you say, with the ball, has some ability. Uses both feet to cross, takes on his man and beats him, and can find a pass as well as give and go etc. Its why I think that he could be a real player.

BUT...

Its like he has ADHD. Heads all over the place, poor concentration, too many things going on at once - look at him today through on goal, you could see his mind working "do I shoot? square it? lay it off to the right? Do I..." and he ended up just blasting it out of play.

There was some excellent misdirection by his agent before he signed. I recall a lot of concern about whether he was a homophobe, and a general assumption that he was a solid defender. He’s been a surprise on all fronts. Thank goodness that Trips improved so much last year.

I think, with the ball at his feet, he's a decent player. The cross for Dele is a good example of that. But as a defender, he is a liability imo. He just makes bad decisions when defending. From the little I have seen of KWP, I don't really know why Aurier should be blocking his path as Trippier's backup. I think we'll give Aurier the rest of this season to show something, but I don't think he will last beyond that.

I think Aurier was signed because KWP wasn’t seen as man enough yet to be a first team player. In the sense that yes KWP was talented, but a big part of why we are successful is because our players will give each other verbals if standards look like they are slipping, and it helps maintain our consistency. I think KWP’s interview about now being comfortable telling someone like Eriksen off if he felt he wasn’t performing was interesting - that was what he needed to get to and he probably knew it. Aurier, for all of his comedy incidents, is an experienced pro and would have no issue giving the verbals as well as I’m sure he takes them.

We’ve been successful because everyone is involved In maintaining the standards. I think one of the reasons Poch loves Dier is because he’s such a proponent of the standards and won’t let anyone else slip. But when Poch saw Dier’s own slipping after the Euros, he dropped him. Once he got them back, he was fitted into the team however which way he could be gotten in because he’s that important.

Kane also clearly does it. So did Mason. I imagine the thing that sets Winks apart from Onomah right now isn’t necessarily talent or tactical awareness (although there may be something to the second part of that) but how comfortable Winks is as a man in this team. And maybe why Onomah went to a Manager like Bruce rather than a Manager like Farke for example, probably was to toughen him up. Bentaleb had it, but then probably took it too far to where he was a disruptive influence concerned with himself, rather than maintaining standards for the good of the team. Fine like to tread.

Anyway, I think Aurier needs to be careful this year. KWP has the talent, and if he now has the maturity, he’s going to have a scrap on for his place. Which will hopefully raise his level too.

This lad is a brainless footballer. I’ve been waiting for the last year to see the raw talent materialize into a player that could be as good as Walker.

But he’s too rash and his positional sense is all over the place. He’ll give away penalties and free kicks and he’ll leave the position he should be defending wide open because he just chases the ball.

Watch back his performance today and two incidents in particular. Where they hit the post, he just wandered out beyond Verts and Sanchez without even thinking. Awful.

There was another one later in the second half when he got sucked right in to head a ball clear and it went to Saudi Sportswashing Machine. His positioning was terrible and they had a big huge space to play in their left winger. In fairness Aurier got a decisive touch on his cross but he caused the whole thing by being a headless chicken.

His cross won us the game today but his naivety could have lost us the game. Against better teams he’ll embarrass us.

Always said you need to give him this season with a full pre season under Poch before judging. No one really covered themselves in glory today so let’s see how he pans out rest of the season. At least he’s shown he’s capable of delivering the ball, albeit not as consistently as Trippier. The only thing that’s disappointed me is people who had seen the guy on here said he’s pacy, he’s quite clearly not and doesn’t really look particularly threatening attacking the wing with the ball. But good thing is even if he isn’t as good as hoped we’ve still got Trippier and KWP who I’m confident is going to be a very good full back....

He was a complete liability in defence today. Yes he can get the odd cross in, our attack. But he almost cost us three goals today from his direct mistakes. He and us were very lucky they did not go in. He vacated space to allow for one chance showing bad positioning, later he passed out to them with a header again leaving the space and again we was lucky not to have allowed a goal. Not forgetting that early on his positioning for their goal was clueless.

Cant wait for Tripps to be back. KWP is a better full back than him.

'He's raw' 'His positional sense is bad' 'He's brainless' 'Poor concentration'......all completely valid BUT the clearest way to look at this is he's 25. By 25 you've probably been through a ton of coaching and also been through some top class coaches as a first team player. He's not just come out of the youth ranks, he is the way he is and is frankly not good enough.

For the good of the club i'm fine with the alternative. Tripps may well of gone up a level and is a consistent performer that im sure most would say is first choice. i'm perfectly happy if out of 55 games, he plays 40 and KWP plays 15 and we get what we can for Aurier (even by the end of this window). Thats i nice chunk of game time to really bring KWP on, he's 21 now and needs to be given that pathway.

Sissoko failed to cover him a number of times, which made him look bad. He also let players get a run on him a couple of times too.

That said, he managed to find himself genuinely miles out of position all on his own too.

Seems to be a player who needs to calm himself. Im convinced he has quality - just look at that ball for the goal, and defensively he is fine (and aggressive!) - but given him time to think and its like he cant decide what to do.

He loses the ball cheaply too many times. When you lose the ball as cheaply as he does, I believe it causes huge issues as essentially, you are asking another player (in this case Sissoko) to make his primary job to sit back and simply mop up his cheap brain farts. Which given what Sissoko’s limitations are is a MASSIVE ask.

This has gone on for a while now. He gets my support as a first-team player, but he is far, FAR from my favourite. I would LOVE him to sail through and prove me wrong FWIW...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

A lot of those loses are in not having a passing option/people making runs etc - its what Ive been saying in lacking chemistry with Sissoko.

I had hoped his old buddy Moura being around would help, as yet it clearly hasnt.

And yes, he can also lose it cheap as well.

He loses the ball cheaply too many times. When you lose the ball as cheaply as he does, I believe it causes huge issues as essentially, you are asking another player (in this case Sissoko) to make his primary job to sit back and simply mop up his cheap brain farts. Which given what Sissoko’s limitations are is a MASSIVE ask.

This has gone on for a while now. He gets my support as a first-team player, but he is far, FAR from my favourite. I would LOVE him to sail through and prove me wrong FWIW...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Your first sentence gets to the heart of it.

He can be pilloried for many things, but simple passes to retain possession are the staple diet of this team. If he doesn't improve there he'll be gone in a few matches.

In saying that he wasn't the worst player on the pitch for Spurs. And he made a game-winning contribution which counts for something.

Last edited:
Ooh. Down with the kids now, are we Parky?

I'm OK With Aurier.(I should copyright that).

It's not like the guy he replaced was the epitome of defensive solidity. Kyle Walker put the adventure back in routine defensive play and still supplies weekly brainfarts for the club that forked over 53 million quid for him.

Serge is simply carrying on in that tradition. If he can knock instinctive, first-touch crosses in like the one for Dele's goal, he's getting into the match day squad.

I agree with the general theme/feelings about Aurier. Just for the sake of balance and fairness, Davies made a very rash dive in on the wrong side of Rondon... missed the ball and Rondon was in with just Super Jan to beat. I'm sure if Aurier had done that people (including me) would have bit.

I think the World Cup has masked over some of trips performances last season.

The gap between the two isn’t massive and they both have good and bad points

I would like to see Serge in our strongest 11

Aurier Is the epitome of a buggers-muddle of a player. Bloody awful then bloody wonderful like with the assist for Dele’s goal!
Football in a nutshell!

Back