• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

Lennon was a fantastic player for Spurs, seriously underrated.
Lennons first touch control was as good as any ive seen at the club - every time the ball was pinged out wide to him he would bring it down perfectly first time. Damn I miss the days of classic wingers, Lennon,Ginola, Jose Dominguez:D….

Reactions: DTA
Lennon, like a lot of wingers, stopped taking his man on as he got older and he didn’t have the power in his shooting or accuracy in his crossing to make up for it.was brilliant when he was younger though and very exciting to watch.

Lennons first touch control was as good as any ive seen at the club - every time the ball was pinged out wide to him he would bring it down perfectly first time. Damn I miss the days of classic wingers, Lennon,Ginola, Jose Dominguez:D….
Trippier had the best first touch I've seen from a Spurs player, I love a proper winger but all I seem to remember was people on this board moaning that Lennon had no end product, never lifted his head, too weak a cross. I liked him, but is seemed a good analogy as they are saying exactly the same about the Belgium guy

Lennon, like a lot of wingers, stopped taking his man on as he got older and he didn’t have the power in his shooting or accuracy in his crossing to make up for it.was brilliant when he was younger though and very exciting to watch.

Aso he went into decline once Walker got a run in the side. Walker kept over lapping, taking up his space and getting in his way. Lennon needed loads of space so that he could wind up and use his pace. He needed to get the ball deep and then run at defenders.

Trippier had the best first touch I've seen from a Spurs player, I love a proper winger but all I seem to remember was people on this board moaning that Lennon had no end product, never lifted his head, too weak a cross. I liked him, but is seemed a good analogy as they are saying exactly the same about the Belgium guy
If we're talking first touch then two players stand out.... The maestro himself Glenn Hoddle and then Dimitar Berbatov, who made the game look as easy as Glenn did.

People who moaned about Lennon having no end product were the same as the people who moaned about Andy Cole needing too many chances to score a goal, they were looking at the misses instead of the hits.

If you concentrate on the number of positive actions the player makes you see that these still number more than other players.... Half of the battle in football is getting into the position to deliver the shot/pass. I'd rather have a 1 in 5 player who gets into 10 good positions in a game than a 1 in 3 player who gets into 3 good positions in a game.

If we're talking first touch then two players stand out.... The maestro himself Glenn Hoddle and then Dimitar Berbatov, who made the game look as easy as Glenn did.

People who moaned about Lennon having no end product were the same as the people who moaned about Andy Cole needing too many chances to score a goal, they were looking at the misses instead of the hits.

If you concentrate on the number of positive actions the player makes you see that these still number more than other players.... Half of the battle in football is getting into the position to deliver the shot/pass. I'd rather have a 1 in 5 player who gets into 10 good positions in a game than a 1 in 3 player who gets into 3 good positions in a game.

Berbatov had the touch of a GHod .. ridiculous control levels

We actually have had a lot of technically good players in the side, Aurier (back to this thread) actually often does a good job with the high/hard crosses that get pinged out to him.

Lennon's most productive run was when he had the option of the cutback to JD on the edge of the box (and Defoe would fudging smash it).

Berbatov had the touch of a GHod .. ridiculous control levels

We actually have had a lot of technically good players in the side, Aurier (back to this thread) actually often does a good job with the high/hard crosses that get pinged out to him.

Lennon's most productive run was when he had the option of the cutback to JD on the edge of the box (and Defoe would fudging smash it).
Aurier is very very good in the air

Berbatov has the best first touch of any player I've ever seen play for us. I remember him peeling goal kicks out the air like nothing.

Only player I've seen live with a better touch than him was Robaldinho. I went to the Brazi game at The Lane. Even watching him warm up was nothing I've seen before or since.

Berbatov has the best first touch of any player I've ever seen play for us. I remember him peeling goal kicks out the air like nothing.

Only player I've seen live with a better touch than him was Robaldinho. I went to the Brazi game at The Lane. Even watching him warm up was nothing I've seen before or since.
I think you’re forgetting Mabbutt’s shoulder keepy uppys warm up routine that went 50 meters in the air each time!? ;)

Last edited:

Don't forget Frédéric "velcro chest" Kanouté. Guilty as charged on the Andy Cole part of the second sentence. Bit harsh to say Lennon had no end product, there were plenty examples of the opposite. And while he had a pretty weak cross, that didn't mean he COULDN'T cross - an important difference. Like if a player scores a penalty after missing a dozen in a row. What would happen if Kane suddenly scores a screamer from a 30-yard free kick? Is he then the bestest free kick taker since Hãssler, or should he still be kept away from taking them? Oh well, that's an issue for his new club to decide.

Anyway, Lennon was at his best and most exciting in his 25-period IMHO, my favourite Spurs player before Eriksen.

Aso he went into decline once Walker got a run in the side. Walker kept over lapping, taking up his space and getting in his way. Lennon needed loads of space so that he could wind up and use his pace. He needed to get the ball deep and then run at defenders.
Absolutely. Walker stole his space, whereas Corluka was great at winning possession then giving the ball to Lennon so he could do his stuff. Intelligent play kept our right side solid in defence and attack.

But I am a little biased!

I'm not as delighted as others at Aurier leaving, there is a player there (showed under Jose, pretty sure Nuno could have got something out of him).

But he wants to move, and helps with the refresh, so good luck to him

Hope we can get move on Doherty as well (he's not a good player)

'there is a player there'....I agree, but he turns 29 this year so should have ironed out his game by now

Agree about selling him and MD, and then signing 1

Doherty isnt going anywhere this summer

He's unspectacular but can be our second choice and play in cup games and Europe. Give Tanganga a shot at making the position his own. If is isnt able to do so, sign another RB next year

Back