• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

Not very professional but I can understand his reaction. There were 3 players more at fault for that goal than Aurier.
If Davies is in the right position it's offside and then the calamity with Dier and Lloris both standing and looking at the ball.
Why were none of the others subbed? Smacks of the way Dele was singled out at Stoke for the goal when there were others
more to blame. Add to that being taken off before Doherty and it's understandable.
Jose loves a spacegoat. Bit like Dele.

I’d really like to know what happened here.

If he argued with Jose he’s in the wrong.

If he was having a pop at Lloris and Dier about the goal he was bang on.

More physical violence in the dressing room is needed imo.
I agree
He was the least at blame defender for that goal so it seems odd
It’s possible he wasn’t being subbed but kicked off with Hugo and was then subbed because of that ...
what would worry me there is that Hugo is being protected despite him being poor yesterday
Aurier was fine apart from being out of position for that first goal but that’s not why we conceded it

I’d really like to know what happened here.

If he argued with Jose he’s in the wrong.

If he was having a pop at Lloris and Dier about the goal he was bang on.

More physical violence in the dressing room is needed imo.

Yes, I'd have liked to have heard publicly Jose naming Dier and Lloris for the first goal yesterday and Doherty/Lloris for the second. He mentioned Rodon for the third.

I'd also like PEH to be grabbing these guys and screaming at them for their mistakes. Jose's selection was wrong yesterday and I dont see him as long-term manager os Spurs, but these mistakes by experienced pros were appalling

I’m loathe to defend Jose because he’s getting on my tits right now but I think his frustration with Aurier for the goal is amplified because he did the same thing in the first minute to let Mane in.

Without mentioning Aurier explicitly, Jose mentioned it in two post match interviews I saw. And he excused Rodon his mistake as it was the only one he made.

It’s consistent with his treatment of Dele actually. It’s not mistakes that seem to tinkle Jose off, it’s repeatedly making the same ones.

That’s not to say that I agree with Jose, I don’t, but I can see his point.

I’m loathe to defend Jose because he’s getting on my tits right now but I think his frustration with Aurier for the goal is amplified because he did the same thing in the first minute to let Mane in.

Without mentioning Aurier explicitly, Jose mentioned it in two post match interviews I saw. And he excused Rodon his mistake as it was the only one he made.

It’s consistent with his treatment of Dele actually. It’s not mistakes that seem to tinkle Jose off, it’s repeatedly making the same ones.

That’s the issue
It’s stupidity to repeat the same mistakes surely?
Once is a mistake
Twice is repetition so therefore is part of that players game and their naivity
But in Aurier defence it’s possible he didn’t know at that point who was marking who... possible
But I look at our errors and even Sheffield aren’t making ones like we did yesterday

Telegraph reporting that Aurier left the stadium at half time yesterday.
(Paywall so can't read the whole article but it from other reports quoting the Telegraph it doesn't seem that there's any more detail than he left).
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...enham-hotspurs-stadium-half-time-substituted/

Whether he left because he was substituted, or whether he argued with Lloris which led to him being substituted, then leaving, or he was substituted, said he was leaving and then had an argument about it with his captain, who knows.
But it doesn't sound good.
Full article below...

Serge Aurier left the Tottenham Hotspur stadium at half-time after being dragged off in the team’s defeat to Liverpool that saw Harry Kane injured.

Kane was forced off with injuries to both of his ankles at the break, while Aurier did not reappear for the restart after being replaced by Harry Winks.

It is understood the right-back left the ground in a move that will no doubt have angered head coach Jose Mourinho, who was forced to answer questions on whether or not there had been a half-time fall-out.

Aurier suffered a nightmare opening 45 minutes and was one of the players at fault for the sloppy goal Spurs conceded seconds before the half-time whistle, with goalkeeper Hugo Lloris also blamed by television pundits.

Asked what the mood of his players was like at the break, Mourinho said: “It’s the mood of a team that it was difficult to accept you are losing, difficult to accept the nature of the goal because the goal is in some aspects a replica of the chance they had in the first minute.

“So it’s of course a mood where people are not happy - but then we have to move. Then Harry is injured and we need to try to do something. Unlucky that we started the second half conceding a goal.”

Mourinho, who confirmed Kane will be out “for a few weeks”, left the dressing-room early at half-time and was livid with Tottenham’s defending in their defeat, in which Firmino, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Sadio Mane scored.

“It’s a performance totally affected by defensive individual mistakes,” said Jose. “The team was very solid, the team was very confident and in the first half we made three defensive mistakes, individual, in the first minute almost a goal, in the middle of the half, a Mane shot on the inside that Hugo saved and in the last minute for the goal.

“To go in losing 1-0 was very frustrating, especially the nature of the goal and at half-time to be losing 1-0 and to lose Harry was not easy. Even so the team comes to the second half with the intention to fight and the second goal, I don’t need to speak about it. Again, great reaction, great goal and another one, Firmino handball disallowed, but another one. And then the third goal, another one.

“The third goal hurt me because the third goal was a mistake by a kid that played very, very well. Joe Rodon played very, very well so I feel very sorry for him, but I’m very happy with his performance.”

On Kane’s injury, Mourinho said: “Two ankles, the first was a bad tackle, it was Thiago, the second one I didn't know well. But two injuries in both ankles, the second one worse than the first one - a few weeks, I don't know. There are some players you can't replace. When it happens it happens but I believe we have to fight against it, we cannot do anything else.”

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp was delighted with his team’s first Premier League win in six games, but suggested injuries to Fabinho and Joel Matip, who suffered ankle ligament damage, could force him to look at the transfer market.

“You can imagine we think about everything, of course,” said Klopp. “We thought about doing the right thing, but we need to find the right player.”

If there were fisticuffs, especially if they were after Mourinho stomped out of the dressing room, I can see why we started the second half so badly. Heads just weren't screwed on.

Full article below...

If there were fisticuffs, especially if they were after Mourinho stomped out of the dressing room, I can see why we started the second half so badly. Heads just weren't screwed on.
Surely Jose was hired EXACTLY because of his ability to change the mental-ity of our squad. He's been here over a year and our heads drop and spirits sag and auras deflate and lemons go sour. Jose needs to do better, as do the players.

3rd season Mourinho is here early it seems

I get you don't like the manager but this type of post, in Serge's thread is only you mocking us as a club; we've managed to skip the winning trophies part of Jose's tenure and you're rehashing this tripe for what, a cheap laugh? There's self deprecation and there's taking it a bit too far...

I get you don't like the manager but this type of post, in Serge's thread is only you mocking us as a club; we've managed to skip the winning trophies part of Jose's tenure and you're rehashing this tripe for what, a cheap laugh? There's self deprecation and there's taking it a bit too far...

Yeah fairs fair I'm trying to bite my lip, honest

If you want Aurier to always be picking up Mane irrespective of whether his runs are into or wide of the box then play 4 at the back and not 3 (like in the away game). Considering Firminho drops into midfield for most of the game, I’m not sure what the three CBS are supposed to be doing if Aurier and Doherty are supposed to be picking up,Mane and Salah no matter what?

If you want Aurier to always be picking up Mane irrespective of whether his runs are into or wide of the box then play 4 at the back and not 3 (like in the away game). Considering Firminho drops into midfield for most of the game, I’m not sure what the three CBS are supposed to be doing if Aurier and Doherty are supposed to be picking up,Mane and Salad no matter what?

It’s a fair point and I’m not saying I agree with Jose but he was clearly irked that Mane got in behind twice and you’ve got to assume he’s holding Serge responsible. My only point was that Jose seemingly believes he instructed Serge to track those runs and twice Mane got in behind in identical circumstances. And if he’s holding Serge responsible for what he sees as repeated errors, that’s the same treatment Dele has gotten. I don’t agree with it but you could argue he’s being consistent.

Perhaps Jose’s plan was to pack the box if any of their front 3 got the ball there. That then means you have cover if a mistake is made and there is less space for them to find. That’s the tactic that worked well against City, Woolwich and Liverpool at Anfield for most of the game.

But I don’t know for sure what Jose’s plan was. It just looks like he’s held Serge primarily responsible for its failure.

Yeah fairs fair I'm trying to bite my lip, honest

There's a lot I want to kick off about too, speaking openly as someone who admires Jose's achievements but honestly after having a look today it seems everyone has already piled in...Really wonder quite how bad things would be if we had full capacity fans in through this era which doesn't seem built to last...

Back on topic I do hope Serge hasn't spoken his way out of selection with whatever has happened but it's all hearsay currently, if only we had Amazon snooping around for a season!

If you want Aurier to always be picking up Mane irrespective of whether his runs are into or wide of the box then play 4 at the back and not 3 (like in the away game). Considering Firminho drops into midfield for most of the game, I’m not sure what the three CBS are supposed to be doing if Aurier and Doherty are supposed to be picking up,Mane and Salad no matter what?

Completely. I think most fans were bemused when we saw the back 3. Playing against a front 3 the best response is a narrow back 4 for the reason you mention - with a back 3, you either end up with 3 forwards vs 3 CBs, or 2 wingbacks marking and 2 CBs free

The individual mistakes have helped Jose deflect criticism from his nonsensical formation

We had a 5 at the back and a defensive winger out there and still gave Mane and Robertson all the space they wanted. Same as TAA the other side who just casually comes in and score their second. Not good enough, all while we have incompetent defenders it will always be the same. Other than Reggie everyone else can leave imo non of them are good enough.

Yes, I'd have liked to have heard publicly Jose naming Dier and Lloris for the first goal yesterday and Doherty/Lloris for the second. He mentioned Rodon for the third.

I'd also like PEH to be grabbing these guys and screaming at them for their mistakes. Jose's selection was wrong yesterday and I dont see him as long-term manager os Spurs, but these mistakes by experienced pros were appalling

I'd be making PEH the skipper. I could see him kicking players up the backside when its needed

That’s the issue
It’s stupidity to repeat the same mistakes surely?
Once is a mistake
Twice is repetition so therefore is part of that players game and their naivity
But in Aurier defence it’s possible he didn’t know at that point who was marking who... possible
But I look at our errors and even Sheffield aren’t making ones like we did yesterday

At least he has stopped taking foul throws on a regular basis, that used to really hack me off

Back