• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

Never thought I'd see the day where I'd vote for Aurier to be man of the match! When a player goes past him in the box I still brick my pants expecting him to try and slide tackle and give away a pen, but he seems so much more disciplined.

Fair play to him, as he must be going against his instincts which is a pretty hard thing to do in the heat of battle.

He's very dependent on the system to excel.
That's simply not correct. It's not single players that are dependent on a certain system. It's the team. And it's still wrong. We can play different systems. But the 4-4-2 against Liverpool didn't really work out, as we were constantly outnumbered in central midfield, meaning either Sissoko or Bergwijn had to come in centrally, meaning our full backs where then exposed, and were frequently facing 2vs1 situations.
So it's not Aurier being dependent on a system, it was the whole team that suffered due to that formation being countered by Liverpool.

Never thought I'd see the day where I'd vote for Aurier to be man of the match! When a player goes past him in the box I still brick my pants expecting him to try and slide tackle and give away a pen, but he seems so much more disciplined.

Fair play to him, as he must be going against his instincts which is a pretty hard thing to do in the heat of battle.

I’ve voted him MOTM a few times recently and I’d become completely disillusioned with him at the end of last season.

You’re spot on, his discipline has improved hugely. There was one in the second half where Mane got it in our box and you knew Old Serge would have leapt into a kamikaze tackle but he just recovered, stayed on his feet and forced Mane backwards.

Jose has worked miracles with Serge. The system helps him but you can see a massive improvement in his decision making.

I’ve voted him MOTM a few times recently and I’d become completely disillusioned with him at the end of last season.

You’re spot on, his discipline has improved hugely. There was one in the second half where Mane got it in our box and you knew Old Serge would have leapt into a kamikaze tackle but he just recovered, stayed on his feet and forced Mane backwards.

Jose has worked miracles with Serge. The system helps him but you can see a massive improvement in his decision making.
Agreed
Minimal errors all season
I’d say he so currently the next RB in the league
I also think it helps that both out full backs are called serge

I always thought he was unfairly judged by a lot of fans in previous seasons and never really got the hate for him that was thrown around. However he has improved under Jose and its good to see, the signing of Doherty has also driven him on.

I always thought he was unfairly judged by a lot of fans in previous seasons and never really got the hate for him that was thrown around. However he has improved under Jose and its good to see, the signing of Doherty has also driven him on.
He had improved in Poch's final season as well, he was probably one of our top 3 players in that abject start to 19-20 but because the narrative had been set few acknowledged it.

Even with Jose's time showing further improvement again few were willing to see it. His continued improvement has been a real high point of Jose's coaching. His form has simply just become impossible to ignore now.

He had improved in Poch's final season as well, he was probably one of our top 3 players in that abject start to 19-20 but because the narrative had been set few acknowledged it.

Even with Jose's time showing further improvement again few were willing to see it. His continued improvement has been a real high point of Jose's coaching. His form has simply just become impossible to ignore now.

One of Jose's biggest strengths is improving a players thinking ( he has done it with lots of players over the years), Serge's biggest problem was diving in and going to ground and he forced a lot of his mistakes by doing just that. Jose has got inside his head and you can see the benefits it has done to improve his game.

With all due respect, I’m so sick of reading arrogant, patronising posts like this on here! Stating your opinions as facts, and explaining that any differing opinions are based on bias or less sophisticated thinking.

Maybe some people weren’t yet convinced about Aurier last season because he was still committing what seem like egregious lapses in effort or concentration like for Utd’s first goal against us here, under Jose?

Back