• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like this one will get over the line! Personally I'm chuffed. I don't think we could have singed a better player.

He has fight, passion, and he's controversial. Is that such a bad thing? So much careful tip toeing media speak these days. He's a footballer not a politician. The guy has balls. I would be happy with a fighter alongside me in my team. He is highly talented, but still has it all to prove.

I think he has said and done some idiotic things before. There is an obvious concern about signing a player like him where we have worked to rid the club of problematic types and the bond within the team is perhaps what separates us from others.
I wouldn't want us to upset that, and anyone who has a problem with us signing him have a point.

Where I find it slightly bemusing and a little hypocritical is our own favourites have said and done things which have fallen foul of our own moral standards, including Glenn Hoddle. Ledley allegedly said something quite bad to a bouncer once too. Woodgate did some pretty messed up things and we all celebrated his winner.

I think Milos suggestion is right. That I'd like to see us not simply brush it under the carpet, we should seek to address the issue. In terms of pure football, we have found a player who is a very good replacement for Walker and I feel the attributes he bring very much give us that much needed balance and aggression back.

Personally I think the troubling background bit is being overplayed. When Alonso scored against us last week, I didn't see anyone on here mention he was convicted of killing a girl drink driving, and that he used his money to avoid a jail sentence! By comparison Aurier has mouthed off! He's showed immaturity and passion. Neither are a crime!

He's also got caught out with a policeman, not advisable granted. As mentioned before, I've seen the snobbishness, racism and police conduct first hand in Paris. We won't know what happen, and its fair to say he's got balls, but keep it in perspective, he's a fine fine player, and I'm pleased he's not a model communicator. Otherwise he'd be at a richer club. Lets get behind him, give him a fresh chance and judge him on his actions now.

Parts of this article are okay, though they ham up the troubling background bit.

Tottenham target Serge Aurier: a fine footballer with a troubling background

serge_aurier_tottenham.jpg

On the pitch, he should give Spurs exactly what they need - but off it is a different matter entirely. Seb Stafford-Bloor explores a thorny situation for the club

Rarely, if ever, can a prospective transfer be simultaneously described as both ideal and horribly ill-advised. Currently, however, Tottenham are flirting with that dichotomy in their pursuit of Paris Saint-Germain’s Serge Aurier.

It’s a situation which has been forced by the sale of Kyle Walker to Emirates Marketing Project. Mauricio Pochettino had decided as early as March that Walker’s shifting priorities had made him expendable, but must also have known that the full-back’s acceleration and staggering athleticism would, in their absence, leave a void in his first team.

Kieran Trippier is a fine crosser of a ball and, in Kyle Walker-Peters, Spurs have a young player capable of enjoying a Premier League future.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...er-a-troubling-background#shkh5tLixLbc0gor.99

Last edited:
Seems to have a lot of baggage and to be suspiciously cheap. There's a reason why we can afford him. And even if the fiotte bit is a mistranslation, tacoting a copper isn't great.

Plus, I'm a joyless, misanthropic pedant and I like drawing attention to typos.

That's true of all of our signings. We are in a position where we need to take punts on promising players that richer clubs pass up on. Few seem to doubt that Aurier is a decent player, let's just hope that he's put the claminess behind him.

Seems to have a lot of baggage and to be suspiciously cheap. There's a reason why we can afford him. And even if the fiotte bit is a mistranslation, tacoting a copper isn't great.

Plus, I'm a joyless, misanthropic pedant and I like drawing attention to typos.

Glass half full or empty? Time will tell.

The fiotte thing is concerning because he was naive enough to undermine his manager publicly. I don't think its an issue of homophobia. Its more akin to calling him a 'pussy'. To call your manager out like that is unprofessional (and Blanc made it worse by criticising him in retaliation in a press conference). Disagreements can be discussed behind closed doors, Poch will demand that.

As a self confessed pedant, wouldn't you say its best to judge a footballer primarily on his or her footballing ability?

Last edited:
Reactions: DTA
He had positional sense by instinct, the best players know where to be - Terry Venables wouldn't have told him to hold a particular position as the player gravitates to the correct position.

Do you think Gazza's footballing brain would have included the Poch style of constant movement and pressing? He seemed more of a 'free role' player based on my memory of those early 90's seasons.

Don't get me wrong, the man was a creative genius the likes of which only Eriksen and maybe Ali could compare with. Conscious we're getting off thread topic but I still believe Poch can work with improving a players mental side the game. Hence why Aurier and Barkley wouldn't be bad players to sign. Not crazily priced either.

Some people do throw the word faggot around and they aren't trying to be homophobic, or hate gays, they are just talking out of ignorance. It's getting less common.

Louis CK has an answer for everything:

That’s one of the brickest stand up bits I think I’ve ever seen.

If he signs for us, I will support him as one of us. I do question his past antics. I think insulting your team mates is probably not the best way to go about your career, whether the homophobic slant has been exaggerated or not. I think there are skeletons in his cupboard but perhaps a new club can help him to develop, he can mature, and together we can all move on.

Perhaps his slant, deemed to have been homophobic, was a word in anger/frustration without Aurier have given true consideration to what was being said. We all have said, and acted, in ways which upon later reflection are wholly inappropriate.

As someone who was once arrested for being drunk and disorderly, and so who spent one night in prison, maybe I'm far from being someone who should throw stones.

I reacted as I think it's natural to be concerned by a player who has made as many headlines off of the pitch, as on it. I like that we have a great team spirit and so anything that might cause a rift, and problems to appear, doesn't necessarily appear to be the best way forward. But, knowing that not every signing will be a signing of someone with the perfect temperament, leads me to thinking that I will support Aurier at the club, give him the time and trust that he has learned from the errors in his past.

There is no doubting his quality on the pitch, and if he can be ok away from it, then we will have a great signing, and his past will remain his past but become less relevant as time moves on.

Personally I think the troubling background bit is being overplayed. When Alonso scored against us last week, I didn't see anyone on here mention he was convicted of killing a girl drink driving, and that he used his money to avoid a jail sentence!

Exactly. The point is that the Alonso plays for Chelsea. Aurier would fit right in there. Or maybe other clubs where this type of behaviour is tolerated.

Spurs don't need a homophobe playing at right back so that we can win a few more matches. Putting winning over decency does not seem to be the Tottenham way.

Exactly. The point is that the Alonso plays for Chelsea. Aurier would fit right in there. Or maybe other clubs where this type of behaviour is tolerated.

Spurs don't need a homophobe playing at right back so that we can win a few more matches. Putting winning over decency does not seem to be the Tottenham way.

Hold on did you just compare using a word (which may not have even had homophobic connotations) with murder/ manslaughter!?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back