• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Season expectations/predictions 2020/21

I'm expecting us to be in or around the top 4 from now until xmas; from there might depend more on others and how they handle the more packed schedule (and one or two negative results).

If Jose can just keep his cool when we next get a disappointing result (by not going over the top with criticism if we were just unlucky, by calling out if the team played poorly, by not throwing individuals under the bus etc) then hopefully we can keep ourselves bubbling along with the positivity that's recently been built up.

Hopefully, he'll also realise that in this first half of the season, attack may be as much a form of defence as anything (saving more of the bus-parking for the second half of the season)...

The narrative will forever shift until we win one of the big two and until we do we will always be 'nearly men'

There will always be a narrative against Spurs ..

I do think either League or FA Cup (this season) will be significant, it's been 12 fudging years since any pot ..
The big ones can take a little longer ...

Fans, players, the club? and it sends a message
- Top 4, EL semi and League Cup win is a huge statement
- Same result without the cup opens us to "players need to leave if they want to win something" or "nearly men" narrative again.
Yeah, I'm sure players join Spurs to win the Carabao cup.

Yeah, I'm sure players join Spurs to win the Carabao cup.
It's not about just winning the Carabao cup, it's also about building belief that they can win those one-off games in other competitions, whether in the Champions League or critical games in the league.

It's not about just winning the Carabao cup, it's also about building belief that they can win those one-off games in other competitions, whether in the Champions League or critical games in the league.

We've won plenty of those over the last few years

I'd say we've lost more of the really critical games then won against the top teams.

One off games are a bit of a lottery. I think our failure in some crunch games comes down to having a weaker squad than the richer clubs and our players running out of steam/injuries having a bigger impact.

I'd say we've lost more of the really critical games then won against the top teams.

Agreed. And add to that the crunch league games. Whenever we had a chance of going top we bottled it as well as crucial games v Leicester home and away in their season, the battle of the bridge ( giving away a two goal lead) Burnley away when Poch said we were still title challengers etc etc.

One off games are a bit of a lottery. I think our failure in some crunch games comes down to having a weaker squad than the richer clubs and our players running out of steam/injuries having a bigger impact.
One off games, and two legged games are a bit of a lottery. I'd argue even over a league season it's a bit of a lottery between teams that are close-ish in the table.

Those big games have a different kind of pressure to them. Experiencing success in those games, building belief, can only be a good thing. Winning big, crucial games can do that to some extent. The impact of going all the way, getting a trophy, would do more of the same I think.

A question for people predicting a cup. Would you like us to block @Jon starting threads if we get to a final?
It would be the ultimate redemption story.

need to make sure he’s taking it seriously though, win and he gets the monkey avatar back, plus a board hero badge, another defeat and we crowdfund a tattoo voted for on here...

I don’t disagree with that analysis. Having said that I think it’s more about bottle and belief. Individual and collective guts, one person takes responsibility and drags the team forward and then collectively everyone takes responsibility. If 8 players play well you probably win the game. I can think of numerous examples of games we could have won to go top that we let slip through our fingers. Arsenal at home in 15/16 comes to mind. 2-1 up at home against 10 men and we draw the game, we were hanging on at the end too. That for me regardless of what anyone says was about bottle. Someone mentioned Burnley away too, another good example. United in the FA cup. That’s not to say we never win them but the absence of trophies points towards us losing more than we win.

I take your point about the bench. I feel more optimistic about nicking a trophy this year than the previous 2-3 years because of the window we’ve just had and mourinho’s knack of winning trophies.

Back