• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Scott Parker

punk_is_back`

Ilie Dumitrescu
Parker shirking his DM responsibilites, leading to our lack of form?

Parker, a brilliant motivator. A Lieutenant capable of bringing tears to the eyes of his fellow players in half time speeches, according to Carlton Cole. But for all his chest thumping is he actually half the player that Spurs fans and pundits are led to believe? In any case can we take the football writers player of the year award seriously, given that a lot of football fans slate journalists for not knowing anything about football or showing clear bias; a lot of journalists have strong west ham leanings.

I myself genuinely believe that Parker is a detriment to the team. Yes we may be doing better this season, but I believe that this is due to us having an outlet up front. Our problem wasn't in central midfield, it was in not having an effective striker who could also hold up the play and link well with the midfield.

Firstly Harry identified Parker as someone who could add steel and bite to the midfield; In his first few games he did just that. However recently he seems to have shirked his defensive role and this had led to a detriment in our results. His tackling statistics have been lower than Modric and Sandro's in his most recent games. Given that his job is primarily to win the ball back and lay it square to more creative players he seems to be unable to put a tackle in at all.

These are chalkboards comparing his tackling to his CM partners in recent games
wolvesf.jpg

swanseaf.jpg

chelseatd.jpg

You can clearly see that he is either shirking his responsibilities or is not good enough to keep up with the pace of the premier league. It says something when Modric is putting in more tackles than him. Modric is the person we should be building our team on, he is the creative fulcrum and our possession master yet Parker seems to be getting Modric to do the dirty work for him recently. Given that he offers relatively nothing in attack this is counterproductive and places limits on our best player.

Further to this in the game against wolves, Parker seemed to be further forward that Modric. Again I don't know if this was due to Harry's instructions but we did struggle in breaking them down. Perhaps if the more creative of the two CMs was playing further forward we would have fashioned out better chances? This has been happening in recent games too. Please see the passing heatmaps below to gain a general idea of each persons average position on the pitch.

heatmaph.jpg

As you can see Modric comes very deep to collect the ball, surely that comes within Parker's remit to collect the ball from the CBs and to distribute it to the more attacking players. Instead against wolves Parker spent a lot of this time on the right wing, where we already had Lennon and Walker. If he showed more discipline he could have stayed in CM and let Modric do the creating further forward. His lack of discipline was one of the factors in our poor performance. The like is also evident against Swansea.

Compare this performance to Livermore at Everton and you can see that due to Livermore holding his deep position, he gave Modric license to go forward and we won the game and controlled possession. Its doubtless that in CM Modric is our most important player, Parker should be doing his water carrying instead of the opposite way round.

For a player who's main job is to defend and provide a solid base for our creative players to do that,he doesn't seem to be doing his job. If he isn't defending and he isn't creating what does he offer? And please don't respond with Posts calling me a hater, i've got nothing against the guy, he's a nice chap. Im not in AFAN or SSG type of fan that either worships player A or wants to physically Harm player B. I comment on what I observe and discuss how it effects our team; I might be wrong but please provide a counter argument rather than posting childish retorts.

I dont think the goals that we conceded in those games were his doing and definitely not his fault.

Against Wolves modric had more shots on goal than any games I have seen him in. I dont think we even needed a DM against Wolves they didnt offer much.

I dont think the goals that we conceded in those games were his doing and definitely not his fault.

Against Wolves modric had more shots on goal than any games I have seen him in. I dont think we even needed a DM against Wolves they didnt offer much.

New board, same old Parker hate.

Interesting to see the stats though, which do back up your argument. (No appropriate smiley available):confused:

There is more to being DM than making thumping tackles. Have to close down the space, being in good positions so that the opposition don't overrun the CM area and you will find that when Parker does that the opposition pass the ball back or waste possession etc If making the tackle is necessary he does it, and is usually successful - His hassling is second to none....

When did our "lack of form" start?

Must have missed that one. Oh, you mean "not winning every single game"

Boo Hoo

Exactly. We've lost 1 league game since August & that was the result of abysmal officiating. Lack of form? Oh dear.

Parker's been a revelation to me, but he wasn't good against Wolves at all. The amount of times he'd be playing further up the pitch than Modric and VDV was frustrating because he really didn't have his passing boots on. Would have prefered him to just sit and shield the back four mopping up and releasing the ball quickly. Livermore should have started imo, Parker didn't look quite fit.

I would have thought Scara was too busy to create a new account and starting more Parker-hate threads.

Livermore should have started imo, Parker didn't look quite fit.

I dont agree Livermore should have started, but he should definately have come on at some point. First game back after injury, and we were definately trying something different against Wolves (with Modric and Kaboul attacking so much), so Im more than prepared to cut him some slack.

In fact, had Modric buried more than one of his 10,000 shots, and Bale learned to take a free kick, this thread would never have been started.

people who rely on gonad*s evidence of that nature to substantiate their argument need to learn to watch football matches and learn how the game is played - and make their own minds up.

The word cobblers springs to mind

I disagree with the premise. One lost game, away, since august, with more points now that last years champions at the same point, is excellent.

To adress recent concerns, hes clearly carrying fatigue.

Those stats are totally misleading, Modric against Wolves made 5 tackle, 1 inside the Wolves' penalty area and 4 in LM. Hmm, exactly where you'd expect him to make them. The same against Swansea, 5 tackles 3 in the attacking LM slot.

So is Parker shirking, I doubt it. Has Modric been told get the tackle in BEFORE it reaches our DM quite possibly especially when you look where Modric is making those tackles.

I'm surprised, not by the thread, but by how long its taken before it got created.
You deluded haters are losing your touch.

Agree to an extent Wiggly - bit he has been playing a lot of games, mind you. Fatigue can be taking its toll, he's 31 after all

However, you always have to remember - when it comes to fan favourites on here there is only two options -

- if the player does well - he takes ALL the credit for the win single-handedly

-if the player performs badly - it is due to his teammates letting him down, the pitch, the ball, the ref, the climate, the the fans and NEVER himself

its hard to call this one as our midfield is very free-flowing and doesn't have a fixed structure. but i do notice that parker is taking more runs forward. not sure if this is what harry calls a "free role" (likewise VDV has a "free role" from very deep), I personally see parker taking the initiative to attack, like a good captain should.

having said that, we do have a lot of bodies in the centre of the pitch and while we get to keep possession, sometimes the players look lost trying to find each other. parker's drive forward is one of those instance, you don't see Ade or VDV or Bale with the same understanding running alongside in support.

Parker doesn't have the killer passing instincts that VdV or Modric have. He had a couple of great assists in our earlier games this season and I thought he linked up well with Ade. But when he's in midfield, I haven't noticed him making many ambitious passes. Like others have noted, he's been playing a lot and it's probably starting to wear on him a bit. However, to put all the blame on him if our team performs poorly is not fair. Everyone has a bad game (or three). Fair credit to the OP for backing up his argument with objective data.

Not sure what you're complaining about, punk.

Earlier in the season, you were adamant that an out-n-out DM, such as Parker, was below us.

Now, you want that "championship clogger" back?

Back