• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sandro - Beast

Re: Sandro - Legend

[video=youtube;TDklQXjr6Kk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDklQXjr6Kk[/video]

I miss him

That seems a tad odd to me, is there any relation to being in a warmer climate to recovering quickly?

Because otherwise it seems odd to spend however much on world class training facilities and physio stuff to send him back home to get him fixed up.

Maybe AVB has just sussed out our medical team...

This is very true in my experience. My ACL recon was a year ago on 26 March and my biggest problem now is confidence in the knee. Physically he will be fine given his natural fitness levels, ongoing first class medical treatment/facilities and age. I hope he isn't pushing it though, no-one should be playing again until at least 8 months after surgery. 9 months is average for athletes and a year for mere mortals like me.

As for the warmth issue. My knee definitely hurts more on colder/cloudy days which are few and far between here in Melbourne during summer :)

Mine was about 8 or 9 years ago now. I certainly don't shirk tackles or anything obvious, but I'm still cautious turning quickly on hard pitches; and someone also pointed out that I now subconsciously launch for headers off my other (naturally weaker) leg. Best advice I had was just strengthen your quads as much as possible, as that's directly proportional to the stress that's not on your knee.

Maybe AVB has just sussed out our medical team...

Mine was about 8 or 9 years ago now. I certainly don't shirk tackles or anything obvious, but I'm still cautious turning quickly on hard pitches; and someone also pointed out that I now subconsciously launch for headers off my other (naturally weaker) leg. Best advice I had was just strengthen your quads as much as possible, as that's directly proportional to the stress that's not on your knee.

Yeah, my son did his...badly.
They told him to strengthen quads for two months before they'd operate.
It's essential to a decent recovery.
Did you go for the tendon behind your own kneecap or a cadaver tendon?

Yeah, my son did his...badly.
They told him to strengthen quads for two months before they'd operate.
It's essential to a decent recovery.
Did you go for the tendon behind your own kneecap or a cadaver tendon?

I don't actually know. The surgeon said they tended to go for one for footballers and another for certain other types of sports, but I've forgotten which was which and which they used.

Apparently (I don't know if this is true - I physio told me, rather than it being something I remember from the time) Teddy Sheringham managed to play without an ACL at one point because his quads were so strong that they compensated for it.

I don't actually know. The surgeon said they tended to go for one for footballers and another for certain other types of sports, but I've forgotten which was which and which they used.

Apparently (I don't know if this is true - I physio told me, rather than it being something I remember from the time) Teddy Sheringham managed to play without an ACL at one point because his quads were so strong that they compensated for it.

Indeed, cadavar is usually for non-atheletes, knee-tendon is for atheletes. Extraordinary story re: Teddy, never heard that before. I mean, to my ear it sounds impossible frankly? Maybe for a final game before summer? Very hard to believe mate, but I'm intrigued so I'll go digging. if I find a clear answer I'll let ya know...

Tottenham's Sandro on course to return from injury for next season | Tottenham Hotspur News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports
Tottenham midfielder Sandro says he is on course to recover from a serious knee injury in time to be fit for next season.

Last month, Sandro returned to his native Brazil to undergo rehab with former club Internacional on the injury he sustained against QPR in January.

"I've got three months to go," said Sandro. "I've started to run, I'm developing. Sometimes I try too much and the knee swells up. I have to listen to the doctor. I have to give the injury enough time, but I dream that I am playing."

The 24-year-old says he hopes he can regain the excellent form he showed before his injury on his return so he can earn a place in Luiz Felipe Scolari's Brazil squad for the 2014 World Cup in his homeland.

"I was in the best phase of my life as a player, so it was hard when I had the injury," he said. "Hopefully I'll be back playing with my club and then I can think about the national team. When I return I will be stronger."

Sandro also hopes to be returning to a side playing in the UEFA Champions League, although that is far from certain.

With six games to go, Tottenham are fourth in the table, but Arsenal are two points behind them with a game in hand.

"We have to fight to stay in fourth place," Sandro told Globo Esporte. "Last year was complicated. We did not classify because Chelsea were the champions of Europe.

"The Champions League is a different competition (to the Europa League). Everything the fans see is what the player feels... the entrance music, the stadia, the fans... everything is amazing.

"I made first played in the competition in 2010 when we beat AC Milan at the San Siro. We beat Inter Milan, too, and we only lost in the quarter-finals to Real Madrid.

"It was a really great experience. Hopefully the club will compete in the competition again."

Re: Look up 'Beast' in the dictionary...

It really is amazing the gulf in class between the central midfield partnership between Dembele and Sandro as opposed to Dembele and Parker. Not only is Sandro a beast when compared to Parker, Dembele seems to have more confidence and looked twice the player when partnered with Sandro. I really do miss him.

Tottenham midfielder Sandro has begun his comeback from injury, but warned it will take time before he is back to full fitness.

The Brazilian had been one of Spurs' star performers during the early part of the season, until a knee injury suffered at QPR cruelly ended his season.

However, the 24-year-old revealed he is improving slowly, but will not rush his recovery in case of any lasting damage.

"I've started to run again, I've been out for three months, I'm improving," he told Globo Esporte.

"I don't want to skip stages to return quicker. I have to do what the doctors tell me. If I try too hard, the knee will swell again."

Sandro's injury was a huge blow to Spurs' top-four aspirations, but they are still well positioned to mount a serious challenge for Champions League qualification according to the Brazilian.

"We are in a great moment, we have to keep doing this way," he added.

"We have to fight to finish third or fourth in the league."

As Tottenham Hotspur picked up their form towards the tail end of the 2011/12 season, the final four games saw Sandro integrated into the starting XI at the expense of the injured Scott Parker. The 32-year-old had succumbed to an Achilles injury and, despite playing his part in all four of England's Euro 2012 games, returned to domestic duty still hampered by the problem.

As such, Spurs' final four games last season saw the north London side pick up 10 points from a possible 12 as the club narrowly missed out on a place in the Champions League as a result of Chelsea's exploits in Munich last May.

Regardless of the fourth placed finish, Spurs were forced to ply their trade in the Europa League this season and, having missed out on third, saw Harry Redknapp relieved of his duties. In came Andre Villas-Boas and with it, a complete change of formation from the usual 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1, with the onus on ball retention and probing the opposition, rather than the Gung-ho approach in the attempt to pick up maximum points.

With that in mind, the need for players of a higher technical ability was a necessity, a facet of Sandro's game that eclipses Parker. While Redknapp often struggled to accommodate the pairing in the middle of the park, with Luka Modric one of the first names of the team sheet prior to his move to Real Madrid, Villas-Boas' decision was made that bit easier as Parker missed the opening half of the campaign.

Alongside Mousa Dembele, the Brazil international has become an integral part of the Spurs starting XI as he looks to harry the opposition in their defensive third as a result of his high intensity approach to the game. As such, this limits the creativity of opposing midfielders, which in turn can be capitalised upon by the likes of Gareth Bale, Aaron Lennon and Jermain Defoe.

Disaster then struck back in early January as Sandro attempted to loft a ball over the Queen's Park Rangers defence, twisting on the Loftus Road turf and falling to knee ligament damage that will see the 24-year-old unavailable for selection until next season, at the very earliest.

The injury saw Parker thrust back into competitive action in west London in the same fixture and has seen the England international become a prominent member in the starting XI once again, beginning all 11 of Spurs' Premier League games since the 0-0 draw with the R's up until, and including, yesterday’s 3-1 win over Emirates Marketing Project.

Nevertheless, his performances in the first team have been nowhere near the level of consistency as Sandro. Parker has continuously taken it upon himself to press high up the pitch, much like his teammate, only without the high energy levels of the midfielder aptly dubbed 'The Beast'.

It has regularly seen the 32-year-old caught higher up the field than the likes of Bale and Lennon and, perhaps more pertinently, Clint Dempsey, with the USA international providing the physical attacking outlet for Spurs, especially when Jermain Defoe is the preferred choice to lead the frontline.

His decision making when it comes to pressing regularly compromises the defensive solidity of Spurs and it's no shock that the club have conceded marginally more goals per game (1.27) when Parker has played in the Premier League this season compared to Sandro (1.23).

Furthermore, of the 22 league starts Sandro has made, three of those came at the beginning of the season when he started alongside Jake Livermore, and a further four came during Spurs' poor run of form earlier in the season when Dembele was sidelined with a hip injury.

Regardless, the stats weigh heavily in the favour of Sandro. The Brazilian ranks 10th in the interceptions chart across Europe’s top 5 leagues, having made 3.6 per game in his 22 domestic appearances.

2013%2f4%2fSandro-vs-Parker.jpg

In comparison, Parker ranks at 260th in the same table, making just 2.2 interceptions per game across the 17 games he has been involved in. When it comes to tackling, Sandro is again the stronger of the duo, making 3.3 per game compared to the England international's 2.4, a figure that places the Brazilian 89th in the overall leader board, 236 places ahead of his teammate in 325th.

When it comes to passing, Sandro is again the dominant of the two players. He may attempt just 42.3 per game, a figure lower than Parker's 45.2, but his completion rate is 2.1% higher, having found a teammate with 85.7% of his passes in comparison to 83.6%.

With two assists and one key pass per game, figures better off than Parker's one assist and 0.9 key passes, it's clear to see that Sandro is the stronger of the two midfielders in the desired position, offering the threat that Villas-Boas demands of his players.

However, Spurs' loss percentage drops to 18% in the games Parker has begun from the off in comparison to the 27% of Sandro's starts, but as mentioned, the Brazilian was part of the team that lost four times in six appearances during the period in which Dembele played just 11 minutes, not to mention the opening day defeat to Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

While the win percentage may be level when both players have started - 54% - the individual statistics indicate that Sandro is the stronger of the pairing, with the Brazilian performing his necessary defensive duties to a higher standard, not to mention the higher pass completion from the Spurs midfielder.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/ymljty3hwu-ip7urczdwpw/Show/Player-Focus-Sandro-the-Better-Fit-For-AVBs-Spurs

As Tottenham Hotspur picked up their form towards the tail end of the 2011/12 season, the final four games saw Sandro integrated into the starting XI at the expense of the injured Scott Parker. The 32-year-old had succumbed to an Achilles injury and, despite playing his part in all four of England's Euro 2012 games, returned to domestic duty still hampered by the problem.

As such, Spurs' final four games last season saw the north London side pick up 10 points from a possible 12 as the club narrowly missed out on a place in the Champions League as a result of Chelsea's exploits in Munich last May.

Regardless of the fourth placed finish, Spurs were forced to ply their trade in the Europa League this season and, having missed out on third, saw Harry Redknapp relieved of his duties. In came Andre Villas-Boas and with it, a complete change of formation from the usual 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1, with the onus on ball retention and probing the opposition, rather than the Gung-ho approach in the attempt to pick up maximum points.

With that in mind, the need for players of a higher technical ability was a necessity, a facet of Sandro's game that eclipses Parker. While Redknapp often struggled to accommodate the pairing in the middle of the park, with Luka Modric one of the first names of the team sheet prior to his move to Real Madrid, Villas-Boas' decision was made that bit easier as Parker missed the opening half of the campaign.

Alongside Mousa Dembele, the Brazil international has become an integral part of the Spurs starting XI as he looks to harry the opposition in their defensive third as a result of his high intensity approach to the game. As such, this limits the creativity of opposing midfielders, which in turn can be capitalised upon by the likes of Gareth Bale, Aaron Lennon and Jermain Defoe.

Disaster then struck back in early January as Sandro attempted to loft a ball over the Queen's Park Rangers defence, twisting on the Loftus Road turf and falling to knee ligament damage that will see the 24-year-old unavailable for selection until next season, at the very earliest.

The injury saw Parker thrust back into competitive action in west London in the same fixture and has seen the England international become a prominent member in the starting XI once again, beginning all 11 of Spurs' Premier League games since the 0-0 draw with the R's up until, and including, yesterday’s 3-1 win over Emirates Marketing Project.

Nevertheless, his performances in the first team have been nowhere near the level of consistency as Sandro. Parker has continuously taken it upon himself to press high up the pitch, much like his teammate, only without the high energy levels of the midfielder aptly dubbed 'The Beast'.

It has regularly seen the 32-year-old caught higher up the field than the likes of Bale and Lennon and, perhaps more pertinently, Clint Dempsey, with the USA international providing the physical attacking outlet for Spurs, especially when Jermain Defoe is the preferred choice to lead the frontline.

His decision making when it comes to pressing regularly compromises the defensive solidity of Spurs and it's no shock that the club have conceded marginally more goals per game (1.27) when Parker has played in the Premier League this season compared to Sandro (1.23).

Furthermore, of the 22 league starts Sandro has made, three of those came at the beginning of the season when he started alongside Jake Livermore, and a further four came during Spurs' poor run of form earlier in the season when Dembele was sidelined with a hip injury.

Regardless, the stats weigh heavily in the favour of Sandro. The Brazilian ranks 10th in the interceptions chart across Europe’s top 5 leagues, having made 3.6 per game in his 22 domestic appearances.

2013%2f4%2fSandro-vs-Parker.jpg

In comparison, Parker ranks at 260th in the same table, making just 2.2 interceptions per game across the 17 games he has been involved in. When it comes to tackling, Sandro is again the stronger of the duo, making 3.3 per game compared to the England international's 2.4, a figure that places the Brazilian 89th in the overall leader board, 236 places ahead of his teammate in 325th.

When it comes to passing, Sandro is again the dominant of the two players. He may attempt just 42.3 per game, a figure lower than Parker's 45.2, but his completion rate is 2.1% higher, having found a teammate with 85.7% of his passes in comparison to 83.6%.

With two assists and one key pass per game, figures better off than Parker's one assist and 0.9 key passes, it's clear to see that Sandro is the stronger of the two midfielders in the desired position, offering the threat that Villas-Boas demands of his players.

However, Spurs' loss percentage drops to 18% in the games Parker has begun from the off in comparison to the 27% of Sandro's starts, but as mentioned, the Brazilian was part of the team that lost four times in six appearances during the period in which Dembele played just 11 minutes, not to mention the opening day defeat to Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

While the win percentage may be level when both players have started - 54% - the individual statistics indicate that Sandro is the stronger of the pairing, with the Brazilian performing his necessary defensive duties to a higher standard, not to mention the higher pass completion from the Spurs midfielder.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/ymljty3hwu-ip7urczdwpw/Show/Player-Focus-Sandro-the-Better-Fit-For-AVBs-Spurs

What an absolute crock of brick of a piece. My head hurt after reading it - I thought I was at a business presentation rather than reading about football.

Look I prefer Sandro to Parker. He's a better player in my view (albeit Parker is not as bad as some people make him out to be). However, these stats not only wreck my head but they barely illustrate that. On the face of it, they look similarly effective.

When they start talking leaderboards for tackling and 325th place in the table, I give up.

This fudging stat overload business that so many people seem so fudging fond of these days is ridiculous. Stats have their place...this sort of thing isn't it in my opinion.

What an absolute crock of brick of a piece. My head hurt after reading it - I thought I was at a business presentation rather than reading about football.

Look I prefer Sandro to Parker. He's a better player in my view (albeit Parker is not as bad as some people make him out to be). However, these stats not only wreck my head but they barely illustrate that. On the face of it, they look similarly effective.

When they start talking leaderboards for tackling and 325th place in the table, I give up.

This fudging stat overload business that so many people seem so fudging fond of these days is ridiculous. Stats have their place...this sort of thing isn't it in my opinion.
Stats do help, but upon viewing a game, Sandro is miles better than Parker. It is true we miss him and look a lot less solid without him in.

Were we 'forced' to ply our trade in the Europa League?

I reckon he'll miss the first few games of the season.

It's the Tottenham way.

Back