• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

Every youngster?
They wouldn't all feel the same.
I suppose they'd probably all be flattered. But they wouldn't all feel it to be the best move for their career.
Many would, with enough ego and self-confidence they'd say that they'd be a Rashford rather than a Powell.
But some have a little more self-awareness/realism and would be a bit more considered.
Every youngster would be flattered, majority would join them ahead of us, and some would as you say be more level headed and join us. Just my opinion obviously, but Id be shocked if that wasnt the case....

Every youngster would be flattered, majority would join them ahead of us, and some would as you say be more level headed and join us. Just my opinion obviously, but Id be shocked if that wasnt the case....

There's no way of quantifying it. We are very rarely in for the same youngster. United can afford to and Mourinho prefers, signing the finished product.

When my father was representing professional footballers (admittedly a few years ago now). The very first question they would ask was 'How much money am I being offered?'. The second question would be 'which are the clubs who are offering the most money'?'. My Dad would often try to steer them to a club that would probably be better for their development in the long term, where perhaps the path to the first team was clearer or the management and coaching structure was more stable, but very, very rarely did the player turn down money and prestige.

The thing that you have to respect is that most young footballers have big egos. Their egos generally cause them to opt for the transfer to the biggest club interested as this gives them extra bragging rights. Typically there would only be three reasons why they may not do this:

1. The biggest club are not the one offering the biggest salary (this is a reasonably rare occurrence and often only happens when a club has had a money influx from a wealthy benefactor - i.e. when Emirates Marketing Project got taken over)
2. The player feels tied to a specific location (young players from the South can be hesitant to move up North and vice-versa)
3. The bigger clubs do not put as much into the transfer (i.e. the manager doesn't bother to speak to them) whereas the smaller club goes on the charm offensive and has the manager heavily involved in conversations with the player, their parents, etc, etc.

I would say that we could have a chance with a player like Sessegnon due to reasons 2 and 3 above.

There's no way of quantifying it. We are very rarely in for the same youngster. United can afford to and Mourinho prefers, signing the finished product.
Agreed, and why I said I think theres a good chance he will join us....

Agreed, and why I said I think theres a good chance he will join us....
I read something somewhere on the interwangle the other day that Man Utd wanted Alex Sandro from Juventus. If true then it would indicate that they may not challenge us too heavily for Sessegnon (unless of course they see Sessegnon as an attacker as opposed to a full back).

Sessegnon specifically, I just dont see as a player Utd would be interested in. More specifically - MOURINHO wouldnt be interested in him.

He is young, he needs work, he needs games - he needs to be allowed mistakes, he needs to find a position. None of that, IMO, has Mourinho showed a tolerance for.

As noted up thread, Mourinho is much more likely to simply want a finished article player.

I read something somewhere on the interwangle the other day that Man Utd wanted Alex Sandro from Juventus. If true then it would indicate that they may not challenge us too heavily for Sessegnon (unless of course they see Sessegnon as an attacker as opposed to a full back).

Mourinho does have form for signing players to block rival clubs getting them but that is a tinkling competition that he probably doesn't want to start with City's deep pockets.

Sessegnon specifically, I just dont see as a player Utd would be interested in. More specifically - MOURINHO wouldnt be interested in him.

He is young, he needs work, he needs games - he needs to be allowed mistakes, he needs to find a position. None of that, IMO, has Mourinho showed a tolerance for.

As noted up thread, Mourinho is much more likely to simply want a finished article player.

The "have you ever wanted to play in Belgium conversation?" conversation would be interesting.

Interwangle:D He looks like a good player does Sandro....

This I can definitely get on board with....

When my father was representing professional footballers (admittedly a few years ago now). The very first question they would ask was 'How much money am I being offered?'. The second question would be 'which are the clubs who are offering the most money'?'. My Dad would often try to steer them to a club that would probably be better for their development in the long term, where perhaps the path to the first team was clearer or the management and coaching structure was more stable, but very, very rarely did the player turn down money and prestige.

The thing that you have to respect is that most young footballers have big egos. Their egos generally cause them to opt for the transfer to the biggest club interested as this gives them extra bragging rights. Typically there would only be three reasons why they may not do this:

1. The biggest club are not the one offering the biggest salary (this is a reasonably rare occurrence and often only happens when a club has had a money influx from a wealthy benefactor - i.e. when Emirates Marketing Project got taken over)
2. The player feels tied to a specific location (young players from the South can be hesitant to move up North and vice-versa)
3. The bigger clubs do not put as much into the transfer (i.e. the manager doesn't bother to speak to them) whereas the smaller club goes on the charm offensive and has the manager heavily involved in conversations with the player, their parents, etc, etc.

I would say that we could have a chance with a player like Sessegnon due to reasons 2 and 3 above.

On point. And any young player who puts money ahead of all when we are going for them immediately becomes less of a priority.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

What if the superclub only had space for a back up with a clear first team choice ahead of them, and we were offering a clear first 11 pick ourselves? I'd say we win those deals way more than you think, and I'd say this hierarchy of deals and thinking is something most clubs understand ahead of time (the reason Levy waits until the bigger clubs have done their business for example, so that they have taken up first 11 spots) that you won't often find a competitive situation coming right down to the wire. I'm sure Sess has spoken to people from United, but if it gets to the point that we make a bid and it's accepted, it's more than likely United realised they wanted a ready made first teamer/already had one, and that wouldn't be what Sess would want.

No doubt, if United had a first team left back spot and thought Sess was good enough for it, and went hard, they'd get him. But no-one is arguing against that.

What if the superclub only had space for a back up with a clear first team choice ahead of them, and we were offering a clear first 11 pick ourselves? I'd say we win those deals way more than you think, and I'd say this hierarchy of deals and thinking is something most clubs understand ahead of time (the reason Levy waits until the bigger clubs have done their business for example, so that they have taken up first 11 spots) that you won't often find a competitive situation coming right down to the wire. I'm sure Sess has spoken to people from United, but if it gets to the point that we make a bid and it's accepted, it's more than likely United realised they wanted a ready made first teamer/already had one, and that wouldn't be what Sess would want.

No doubt, if United had a first team left back spot and thought Sess was good enough for it, and went hard, they'd get him. But no-one is arguing against that.
That was pretty much all I was saying, and this is going to be my last post on the subject because Im exhausted of it. This all started because Nayim said a young player would have to be mental to pick Man U over us. Now I took exception to that as I think that was well over the top, even though there are obvious points like Mourinho not exactly having form for signing young players, and our ability to let the right players develop. But a genuine top class talent such as Sessegnon (not one that COULD be very good, but one that whilst nothing is certain quite blatantly has exceptional talent) would still want to go there and believe he would be a success if Man U really wanted him and demonstrated as such. Now since then, Ive had several posters do nothing to disprove or even disagree with what I was saying, and list a load of reasons about why young players should pick us - reasons that are abundantly obvious to anyone and reasons I agree with. However, Man U are a beast and IMO would still superseed us in most cases - they are that big.

Ive read a lot of posts starting debates on areas that I wasnt even getting into, and so Id like to apologise if Ive miscommunicated what I was actually arguing, Spurs is a great place for a young player to flourish there is no doubt of that. Finally, I think Sessegnon is more likely to end up here - although I do think Man U should go for him as they dont currently have a great LB and he would have that spot within a year or so for the next ten years!

Hope that clarifies my position...

My Brother got a professional contract or two and money was obviously up there but only if the difference was huge, next came pathway to first team (manger etc as you say) - similar to a lot of his mates in the team.

So if you don't offer the money you wont be on the short list, but if you are in a similar ball park other things come into play. In my experience.

My Brother got a professional contract or two and money was obviously up there but only if the difference was huge, next came pathway to first team (manger etc as you say) - similar to a lot of his mates in the team.

So if you don't offer the money you wont be on the short list, but if you are in a similar ball park other things come into play. In my experience.

So he only played away games ?

Back