• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Nelsen

Pav over a similar timescale
10/11 10 in 29
09/10 5 in 16
08/09 5 in 28

Total of 20 in 73 or a goal every 3.65 premier league games

Nayim has only included 'starts' for his stats. Could you do the same for Pav - i.e. how many goals he's scored from starts not subsitiute appearances. Interested to see the comparison

Have to laugh at some of the comments. QPR and Fulham both splashing the cash because.....they need to. Its as simple as that.

In all honesty I think the lack of movement from us proves how strong we are as a squad, I respect the notion that if you can't improve the squad then don't spend for spending sake. Also who of any quality is available to sign? Teams are always reluctant to let quality leave even if the player isnt featuring for them because its now heading into the business end of the season.

Also getting rid of Pav and Bassong in return for Nelson and Saha is good business because you lose two unhappy bodies and replace them with two adequete replacements that are happy to be at the club.

I agree in principle, but in the real world you will often have to rotate a good dozen of fringe-on-the-first-XI-players as well as bench players, a mix up of up-coming youth players and of buys from the outside.

From that say 10-12 players most will stick around for 1-3 seasons where they play everything to half the games (subs included) to just 4-6 games a season. Depends on patience how long they'll stick around.

That group, let's call them the forgotten dozen, is crucial to a top clubs succes. It's how fit and ready they are mentally for the odd game which will determine the succes of the club.

It's players like think Clemence and O'Hara on one hand and well Pav and Bassong on the other.

These players will stick around only for so long before realising that they will not be starters.

Very few of them accept to be Phil Nevilles or Solkjaers indefinetely.

So yes. I do consider this window to be a fullblown failure (mostly because of not getting like-for-like cover for Ade and not replacing Charlie who could play all across the back 4), but in regards to the principle of this forgotten dozen of back-ups and subs Nelsen and Saha is a sensible move.

I just hope we get the wages of Seb and Charlie refunded.

I dont have time now but got my stats from espnsoccernet - I find it very usefull for this sort of thing

I only took starts as it was easier, was being lazy

From the OS:

NELSEN COMPLETES MOVE
Posted 02 February 2012 10:10am
We are delighted to announce the signing of defender Ryan Nelsen.

The New Zealand international joins us from Blackburn Rovers where he spent seven years and made over 200 appearances.

Welcome, Ryan

I hope you'd have something to offer havng now joined the Prem's most expensive retirement club.

harry really does need to get a grip.

we all know he's going to take the england job at first chance, (if he's not in jail) that doesn't mean he needs to cripple our future while he's at it.

harry really does need to get a grip.

we all know he's going to take the england job at first chance, (if he's not in jail) that doesn't mean he needs to cripple our future while he's at it.

I'n not Harry's biggest fan but this sort of comment is just laughable.

He's always liked an oldie but a goodie - look at his transfer history from Pompey to now.

As long as we have some kind of outlook in place for the summer transfer window

I think the main reason Levy is entertaining this circus is due to the possible England job and large uncertaintly as to what would happen past the Euros. Why give a mangager a blank cheque knowing he might walk in 4 months time then a new one comes in and can't work in the former's signings?

It's rather lovely having a lot of the media and general population talking about Spurs today over here! If anything, signing Nelsen hasn't done us any harm in terms of exposure on this side of the world. Football is growing quickly here, especially after the All-Whites performance at the last World Cup.

Even before I moved here, I've always rated Nelsen. He's solid and dependable when he is on the pitch. Nothing spectacular but safe. Good signing.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that signing Saha has instantly given us a bit more impetus during set pieces. His heading prowess is excellent. Seeing as we 'don't practice them', that could be invaluable in the run-in. When Saha plays, he is a constant threat and brings others into play well. He's given us the runaround over the years. Again, good signing.

It sometimes feels like we're not happy unless there are SRF's...

Which is precisely the point Ive been making the point about us being set up for a busy summer.

We will in the summer have basically cleared the decks of all fringe/unwanted players ready for an influx of talent to suppliment the core of the squad.

While this is reminiscent of Pompey (old players etc) Levy is no Storrie or Mandaric. Which means it is absolutely not the same

No manager coming to Tottenham is going to get a blank cheque while Levy is in charge. I find it amusing reading the media and various fan forums that almost everyone seems to think transfers are done solely by the manager. It used to be like that, but it's changing. You can tell which clubs where this is still the practice by the deals they make. Fergie has final say at Man Utd, but they can afford to buy anyone if they want to. Sunderland, Stoke, Villa are obvious examples.

Maybe everyone needs to take a step back and think...."what was my reaction when Gallas first joined the club"?

A lot of us (including me I'll admit it) were proved wrong in that instance.

Maybe everyone needs to take a step back and think...."what was my reaction when Gallas first joined the club"?

A lot of us (including me I'll admit it) were proved wrong in that instance.

gallas has won everything there is to win and is a regular top four performer.

nelsen and saha? i think fudging not.

Which is fair enough, and broadly he has a good eye on experienced players.

Im referring more to the hyperbole around how Redknapp ruined Pompey and is doing the same here. Not a chance.

One thing that delights me about the moves this window is the clear signal of strategy.

It is obvious with these short deals, with the loans going out, with the bid for Remy... That we are looking to make room for some talent coming in and these guys are here simply to tide us over.

Ive wanted to see a plan in place for a long time, and this is the first Ive seen

He's out with a long term injury apparently - i.e. finished with us

Essentially we got 1 year from him out of 2 worth of wages. And that is exactly the kind of risk associated with 35 year olds

Back