• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Nelsen

Wasn't online last night at all

I was genuinely interested in hearing in which aspect you regard upon Saha as superior to Pav

Very annoyed at our transfer business because it means we have to bring in around 5-6 players this summer.

It all surrounds Harry's situation. I think he has a gentlemans agreements with DL about England and therefore i think DL has tighened the purse strings.

But I will let it go now and support the new lads when they pull on the shirt and hope they make me look a mug for slating the signings.

I do believe we have a weaker squad now than we did before though to the fact we have lost Charlie and Pienaar with no replacements.

Wasn't online last night at all

I was genuinely interested in hearing in which aspect you regard upon Saha as superior to Pav

Fair enough.

Firstly Im not someone who will judge a striker purely on goals. I think Adebayor has shown just what a striker can bring to a side even if their goal return is pretty modest.

Pavlyuchenko, while very good in front of goal, was basically useless otherwise (IMO). He offered little to team play. Nothing like holding the ball up, or running the channels, or working defenders. And as often as not his control was a 5 yard pass.

Saha, on the other hand, is a very good footballer. While not amazing, he is far more adept at playing a part in the team than Pav, at holding the ball up, at moving to pull defenders around and would IMO fit in as a component to our play - rather than wait outside of the game for the result of forward play.

I believe in the absence of Adebayor Saha will offer more of the same (or similar), allowing us to play with continuity.

On this basis alone I think he is a major upgrade on Pav (who, lets not forget, is a reserve player)

In addition to that, I actually think Saha is a very good goalscorer, when given opportunities. I saw an article this morning that said he had 60 sometihng goals in three and a bit years - thats not a bad return at all. Certainly not so significantly worse than Pav can offer that we should feel we are missing out. And that was playing in a dour Everton "defend at all costs" side who arent exactly known for creativity.

I wouldn't go as far as 'very good footballer' personally. Adebayor is a very good footballer. Ronaldo is an exceptional one. Saha imho is a decent forward, with a decent goal return and poor fitness record whom I've regarded as limited in front of goal, poacher style striker - i.e. similar to Defoe but less clinical.

Perhaps he can offer something amazing to team play and link-up from midfiled forwards but I simply can't see someone of his age leading our line and most certainly not for 90 mins. Simply felt we could have done better for 3rd cover upfront and again we waited till the last hour.

I suspect you under rate his contribution.

Fitness isnt an issue, as in stamina. Its an issue as in injuries, or frequency of injuries. As a reserve/back up this is much less an issue IMO.

Its all about tiding us over until the summer, at which point things will happen...

Replacing pav with saha is a good move IMO. On his day Saha is a very good striker. That's the one and only deal I'm happy about.

Keep Calm and Carry On. Nobody has signed a Star this window. Nobody is selling yet. Cahill is not a Star he might get better but who knows? I would rather wait to get the right players, this current squad can get us Champoins League football.

I for one am behind this the more I think about it.

I'm very happy with Daws, King, Kaboom and Gallas as first choice along with a player who will be happy to be there should we need him in Nelsen rather than causing trouble at not playing which is what it seems Bassong was doing.

I also think that in both signings (Nelsen and Saha) Levy has shown his hand in that he's not sure Harry will be here next season so is leaving the door open to someone else to make their own signings or if Harry is still around then we can buy big with the ones he wants in the summer (Remy/Vertonghen (sp?)/Krasic/Damiao etc etc).

Pienaar leaving I can't quite get my head around.

Very annoyed at our transfer business because it means we have to bring in around 5-6 players this summer.

It all surrounds Harry's situation. I think he has a gentlemans agreements with DL about England and therefore i think DL has tighened the purse strings.

But I will let it go now and support the new lads when they pull on the shirt and hope they make me look a mug for slating the signings.

I do believe we have a weaker squad now than we did before though to the fact we have lost Charlie and Pienaar with no replacements.

I can think of 3 other plausible reasons:

1. a lot of bids were made but negotiations just didn't turn out our way - within rational financial means
2. waiting to secure champions league position first before spending big - savings this window could mean a real marquee signing for our next campaign
3. new stadium funding poses financial constraints - funding seems to be difficult in this climate, club still looking for suitors but global economy outlook remains dim in 2012

And a wild one:

4. a new coach ("special"?)of a callibre that requires a corresponding budget that he needs minimally to work with to attract players he needs?

I believe in the absence of Adebayor Saha will offer more of the same (or similar), allowing us to play with continuity.

On this basis alone I think he is a major upgrade on Pav (who, lets not forget, is a reserve player)

In addition to that, I actually think Saha is a very good goalscorer, when given opportunities. I saw an article this morning that said he had 60 sometihng goals in three and a bit years - thats not a bad return at all. Certainly not so significantly worse than Pav can offer that we should feel we are missing out. And that was playing in a dour Everton "defend at all costs" side who arent exactly known for creativity.

We should also take into account the "new Manager" syndrome that teams get when they sack a manager and the whole team raises it's game (see: Sunderland) which may also apply to a player coming into a new team and raising his game compared to a more stale Pav. That might just be the extra needed in the last stages of the season.

Arry's always liked 'experience' - look at most his Pompey signings. Sol, Kanu, James, Mendes, etc.

As long as we have some kind of outlook for the summer and a clear strategy on how to go about it

Arry's always liked 'experience' - look at most his Pompey signings. Sol, Kanu, James, Mendes, etc.

As long as we have some kind of outlook for the summer and a clear strategy on how to go about it

Are you saying we bid for James again this January? Are you ITK? ;)

Back