• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Nelsen

Meant to come on to this thread to ask........so have we actually signed Nelsen?

I haven't seen anything official.

Ryan Nelsen has long been one of the most underrated defenders in the top division.

Still a bit underwhelming compared to Samba, our presumed main target.

Ryan Nelsen's got good feet (both) and strong too. He'll do well to play in our system, where we don't rely on fast CBs. But he's 34 (!) and I'm not sure if his body can hold up any further.

BTW any talk about upgrading out fitness/medical staff/regime? Its going to get crowded in the treatment room!

So I haven't seen a single thing on the OS or on news sites saying we got/bid/loaned Nelsen

Have I missed something?

Redknapp said: 'I'm hoping to sign Ryan Nelsen on a free until the end of the season. I think he's a great competitor and a good sort to have at your club. I have always liked him.'

He has been released on a free (having made one measly appearance this season) so we can pick him up in our own time, the transfer window doesn't apply.

I understand and actually admire some fans on here who want to try and put a positive spin on these signings, but how can we be happy with Saha who wasn't even that good in his prime and is injury prone and Ryan Nelson? And letting Corluka go, what was the point of that? I've just heard Kyle Walker has torn his groin. So who do we have to replace him? Ridiculous.

This window just proves that we must be cash poor despite having a good run in the CL last season.

Absolutely

What grinds me more is the default - 'Arry knows best, trust the manager, blah, blah, - i.e. I have no opinion' standard issue response that gets dished out after every disappointing window.

We lost a versatile playmaker and experienced international mid as cover and a decent CB only to end up with a older and bricker Gallas and an older and bricker Pav. If it wasn't for the latter's great transfer fee this would have been an absolutely despicable shambles of a window. Last day wheeler-deeler freebie flimflam once again. No plan, no preparation, no clear outlook as to what we want, need, looking for, targets, etc.

We did the same 12 months ago and paid the price in May. We've made ZERO major signings since Defoe's return for fudges sake, despite having made the CL quarters and finished no lower than 5th in the league. Waiting for the right one? How long is that story going to be dished out? Hell, even Zamora would have been better than Saha, yet relegation fodder is able to strike half-decent deals while we ogle at the new stadium 3D renderings and wait for 40 year old rejects on a free.

If we fcuk it up from here I wonder who's to blame then

Rant over

Last edited:
Shockorama all round

Woke up this morning and saw the headline on my iPhone - Spurs swoop for 2 new signings. Got excited, thouhgt Llorente and Krasic have landed late and got held up by Cralwey at Customs. Only to open the article and discover this

Biggest disappointment for me was the lack of back up on the wings.

Saha Im actually very pleased with. We got rid of Pavlyuchenko - bonus and immediate improvement to the squad, then we got a striker experienced enough to slot right in who suits our style of play far more than Pav ever did.

Getting rid of Pienaar leaves us without cover, but equally he just wasnt getting used and was rubbish - so, so what?

Nelsen Im a little perplexed by. Only real sense I can see is that he is much more experienced than Bassong, and so will slot in as a rotation easier. Either way, one out, one in - no loss.

We didnt make any super fireworks signings, but then that rarely happens in January anyway.

While the squad isnt strengthened as much as I would like it has been strengthened. And I understand that the players we would like were simply to expensive. Dont forget we had a record bid for Remy knocked back.

This whole window looks to me like tiding us over until the summer with good experienced heads, while prepping the squad for some reshapping in a few months time.

Biggest disappointment for me was the lack of back up on the wings.

Saha Im actually very pleased with. We got rid of Pavlyuchenko - bonus and immediate improvement to the squad, then we got a striker experienced enough to slot right in who suits our style of play far more than Pav ever did.

In what ways do you see Saha as an improvement on Pav besides the fromer's inferior goal-scoring record?

Genuine question

Pav was lazy, disinterested and clearly not happy with being 3rd choice. Saha is a good player when fit. Obviously joined knowing he is behind Ade and Defoe in the pecking order and will be looking to prove his fitness and ability in the minimal chances he gets.

This deal makes perfect sense to me, ship out Pav for a decent fee (and lets face it, any amount of money for the useless lump is decent) bring in a cheap short term solution and save the cash to attract the big names in the summet who will be falling over themselves to join us once we've won the league ;-)

I haven't been a big fan of Bassong whenever he's played this season. He hasn't made many high profile mistakes, but he always seemed slightly clueless as to what he was doing.

Don't know much about Nelsen, but if we got a decent fee for Bassong, I'm not overly annoyed

Back