• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

His answers were understandable but not believable. Every fudger in football has an opinion on Derp

Yeah he certainly doesn’t want to tinkle off the owners given he’s in a relatively weak position compared to someone like Klopp or Pep but his answers was basically him borderline trumping. I don’t blame him for that and I don’t blame the reporters for pushing him.

Klopp and Pep are fudging macarons .. why would you speak out against your own club in public while something is in flight? and fudging surely you don't believe neither of them "knew nothing" of it?

The right answer now is "it didn't happen, I was not privy to full details so any comments would be speculation, thank you and move on"

It is amazing how people in a public spotlight still don't get the best answer is often no answer .. let it die ..

I have a question, it might have been asked and answered. why didn't King get the job?

I am more than happy that Mason got it, just thought King would have been 1st choice

Because Mason is doing several jobs

- One is PR, he has no association with Jose (King does), he has a more outgoing personality and better media presence (I've met King multiple times, lovely guy but a long way away from being ready for media), and cynically has a lot of sympathy from general public/media due to his circumstances.
- Other is I actually think he's been involved in coaching longer, King was club ambassador until the Jose decision to include him with coaching at what, beginning of the season?

It's obviously hard to judge from a distance. But while King has all kinds of attributes that make him really valuable within a coaching team, I'm just not sure he has that ruthless streak in him required to be a top manager.

It's obviously hard to judge from a distance. But while King has all kinds of attributes that make him really valuable within a coaching team, I'm just not sure he has that ruthless streak in him required to be a top manager.
Yeah. While King undoubtedly played as The Boss on the pitch, his actions were louder than his words. Whereas Mason was one to try and drag others into the game, even as a youngster.

As a side note, I worry that King was too much of a natural defender to make a great coach. Certainly, our defence this season has been a shambles. It could be the defensive mindset (allow 20+ shots and you're always going to concede)...or the chopping and changing...or it could be poor defensive coaching.

Klopp and Pep are fudging my tits .. why would you speak out against your own club in public while something is in flight? and fudging surely you don't believe neither of them "knew nothing" of it?

The right answer now is "it didn't happen, I was not privy to full details so any comments would be speculation, thank you and move on"

It is amazing how people in a public spotlight still don't get the best answer is often no answer .. let it die ..

I'm not criticising Mason at all. He's in the door a wet day and the media are effectively trying to push him into having a go at his management. He's right to play dumb but the reporter is right to push it. That's the game.

I think you're harsh on Klopp and Pep. I was watching message boards the other night as Klopp was being interviewed and some people were hammering him for not being strong enough. The guy couldn't credibly say nothing at all and neither could Pep. If they did, they'd be accused of selling their souls for the money. They know people aren't idiots. Frankly, I think their owners sold them down the river by letting them take the heat in public while the owners all ran for cover. And, sadly, I include Levy in that. I haven't seen one of them have the balls to get before a TV camera to face questions while their employees, who I don't believe were properly briefed, had to deal with the situation. That wasn't leadership in any way, shape or form. It was a bit gutless.

I'm not criticising Mason at all. He's in the door a wet day and the media are effectively trying to push him into having a go at his management. He's right to play dumb but the reporter is right to push it. That's the game.

I think you're harsh on Klopp and Pep. I was watching message boards the other night as Klopp was being interviewed and some people were hammering him for not being strong enough. The guy couldn't credibly say nothing at all and neither could Pep. If they did, they'd be accused of selling their souls for the money. They know people aren't idiots. Frankly, I think their owners sold them down the river by letting them take the heat in public while the owners all ran for cover. And, sadly, I include Levy in that. I haven't seen one of them have the balls to get before a TV camera to face questions while their employees, who I don't believe were properly briefed, had to deal with the situation. That wasn't leadership in any way, shape or form. It was a bit gutless.

that all depends on who they are leading...

Yeah. While King undoubtedly played as The Boss on the pitch, his actions were louder than his words. Whereas Mason was one to try and drag others into the game, even as a youngster.

As a side note, I worry that King was too much of a natural defender to make a great coach. Certainly, our defence this season has been a shambles. It could be the defensive mindset (allow 20+ shots and you're always going to concede)...or the chopping and changing...or it could be poor defensive coaching.

King wasn't an actual defensive coach fwiw (if that's what you were suggesting towards the end there)

That maybe true, but not everyone on the coaching side want to be a manager, I've known quite a few who enjoy working with players but dont want the responsibility of management.

That's a chairmans job, take the blame. Didnt the Russian gangster ask why no one sang his name at games, he was responsible for their success. Klopp and Pep are gods gift to football we should all give them the respect they think they deserve.

That's a chairmans job, take the blame. Didnt the Russian gangster ask why no one sang his name at games, he was responsible for their success. Klopp and Pep are gods gift to football we should all give them the respect they think they deserve.

I think we all know the reason for that.

Could be. A lot of modern coaching is about sychronised attacking movement, and that might not be something he's well versed in. But then I guess Poch was a CB by trade too

There's also the thing about naturally talented players being worse coaches than more limited one who had to really work to maximise their game. King, like say Hoddle did, might find it harder to communicate things to people who don't find it is easy as he did.

King wasn't an actual defensive coach fwiw (if that's what you were suggesting towards the end there)
That is what I was suggesting, as I've always just assumed that he was there to coach the defence. Guess I'm wrong then!

Could be. A lot of modern coaching is about sychronised attacking movement, and that might not be something he's well versed in. But then I guess Poch was a CB by trade too
I don't think that being a defender means that you can't coach a team to attack, but I do think that it makes it harder as you won't have had as much experience of attacking coaching -- as you point out. On the flip side, defenders have to have an appreciation of attacking movement, so they can defend against it!

Either way, you sometimes get the feeling that some players would make great coaches. Or great managers, which is a different job. Ledley isn't one who I'd automatically think would be good at coaching, whereas Mason is.

That is what I was suggesting, as I've always just assumed that he was there to coach the defence. Guess I'm wrong then!

I don't think that being a defender means that you can't coach a team to attack, but I do think that it makes it harder as you won't have had as much experience of attacking coaching -- as you point out. On the flip side, defenders have to have an appreciation of attacking movement, so they can defend against it!

Either way, you sometimes get the feeling that some players would make great coaches. Or great managers, which is a different job. Ledley isn't one who I'd automatically think would be good at coaching, whereas Mason is.

It's hard to name many of the great players I've seen who have transferred their talent to coaching or management at the highest level.

It's hard to name many of the great players I've seen who have transferred their talent to coaching or management at the highest level.
It tends to be the ones who were more workmanlike even as great players
Players who had it naturally don’t seem to make it as managers.... although Zidane may be different

It tends to be the ones who were more workmanlike even as great players
Players who had it naturally don’t seem to make it as managers.... although Zidane may be different
Brian Clough was another great player who made a great manager

I'm not sure there is necessarily any correlation really.... Some people see the game on a different level, are able to get their ideas across to players well and also able get players to go to war for them and other people fail on one or more of those things. Some of the people who have those attributes happen to have been extremely gifted players and others who have them were less gifted players.

Back