• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

If they enforce this, players will quickly stop doing it, which is the intention of the rule. More football, less needless arguing.

Sent from outer space
Absolutely. I was being a little facetious in my reply. Honestly though I can't see it being enforced ........unless they have ref cam. Football needs this. It would be hilarious.

Would love to see it applied. Hate when everyone says "you can't enforce it otherwise you will get 5 red card every game". And? What's the problem? If the rules are broken, you should get punished it really is that simple.

Same gonad*s with shirt pulling/grappling in the penalty box, give 5 penalties a game if you have to.

Would love to see it applied. Hate when everyone says "you can't enforce it otherwise you will get 5 red card every game". And? What's the problem? If the rules are broken, you should get punished it really is that simple.

Same cobblers with shirt pulling/grappling in the penalty box, give 5 penalties a game if you have to.

The Premier League

"Not one player has been sent off in the Premier League for insulting or abusive language towards a match official in the last five seasons."

That is a pretty damning statistic, and quite unbelievable really, given what occurs week in, week out.

These aren't really "new" rules though are they? Rather the powers that be have decided to clamp down hard on this kind of behaviour and enforce the rules. And about time.
Like many other rules, there are going to be big inconsistencies in the application. Surrounding the ref, aggressively shouting in his face etc. - fairly easy to adjudicate. But "Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials" - that's where it starts to become much more subjective. It's not necessarily the language itself, it can be the tone in which it is delivered that makes it offensive. But that doesn't mean it's wrong to try to stop bad behaviour. A few yellows dished out will soon stop it happening. I do think however a bit of leeway needs to be given to heat of the moment comments, or it could get a bit silly.

Re the rule on a yellow card for at least one player where two or more players surround the ref : it should be the case that each team has one appointed player, made known to officials before the game, who can approach the ref or linesmen to "discuss" a decision. Normally this would be the captain but it could be another player (eg. in our case where the captain is not an outfield player).

(I can see the potential problem with non-English players who say something in their native language. This is where tone comes into it. But this is where challenges to bookings, sending-offs etc are likely to occur).

Well there is one very simple way to avoid becoming the victim of inconsistency, don't fudgeing argue with the ref.

I can just seee this punishing us at some point. You will have some creitins in one match telling the ref he is a fudging prick and getting away with it and in a game the next day Alli or someone exclaiming 'What?!' and getting sent off.

Mark my words, these sort of situations will happen if the rule is enforced at all.

Football is a game of passion and sometimes we have all exclaimed our suprise at a refs decision, doesn't even have to involve swearing or name calling at all.

But some refs will consider anything and everything to be fair game for a red whereas others won't bother at all.

And that's without tocuhing on 'questioning' the ref but not being heard. Loud points in the match at OT with a Mourinho managed United 'the fans were to loud for me to hear it' Vs away at OT 'I could clearly hear him abusing me'

Then come the calls for 'ref abuse video technology' with lip readers reading what ever they feel like based on whomever they support.

Rugby is a game of passion, too, and more physical. They have little trouble keeping a respectful relationship between the referee and players and, because the ref is miked, they keep the language under control most of the time.

The players will learn quickly enough if they enforce it strictly and hold their nerve. Players who cost their teams will be dealt with by their managers. Rooney either shuts up or is sent off every game, which leaves Mourinho with a choice. Winning is more important to him than playing the victim.

Rugby is a game of passion, too, and more physical. They have little trouble keeping a respectful relationship between the referee and players and, because the ref is miked, they keep the language under control most of the time.

The players will learn quickly enough if they enforce it strictly and hold their nerve. Players who cost their teams will be dealt with by their managers. Rooney either shuts up or is sent off every game, which leaves Mourinho with a choice. Winning is more important to him than playing the victim.
There are no Wayne Rooneys in rugby though. Even those ones in the Welsh team that look like they live under bridges and scare goats for a living are comparative geniuses.

Miking (although I first read milking...) would probably the best way to go about it. If I remember rightly on 'Sky Sports - The Premier League Years' they experimented in one game in the mid 90's with a ref with a mic . It was during a Woolwich game and you could hear Tony Adams abusing the ref although nothing ever came of that and I guess they scrapped the whole idea together.

Quick google search and actually it was in 1989. Video below:

EDIT: Having watched the vid myself same old Gooners and what a clown shoe Graham is!

FA proposing a rule change on use of substitutes in extra time of FA Cup after quarter-finals.

Fourth substitute to be allowed in latter stages of competition

Clubs will be allowed to use a fourth substitute during extra time in the latter stages of this season's FA Cup.

The format, subject to approval from the International Football Association Board, was trialled in the Copa America this summer.

The rule will be introduced in the FA Cup from the quarter-final stage.

I was actually thinking about this during the Euros. Some teams clearly had a problem with tiredness in extra time and more fresh legs would have helped the games. Some managers also seemed to delay their final substitution to keep their options for extra-time.

Quick google search and actually it was in 1989. Video below:

EDIT: Having watched the vid myself same old Gooners and what a clown shoe Graham is!

It surely had to have been a conscious choice not to let the players know the ref was going to be miked up. They probably viewed it as an excellent opportunity to forestall calls for it to be adopted in the game for real.

FA proposing a rule change on use of substitutes in extra time of FA Cup after quarter-finals.

I was actually thinking about this during the Euros. Some teams clearly had a problem with tiredness in extra time and more fresh legs would have helped the games. Some managers also seemed to delay their final substitution to keep their options for extra-time.

Substitutions to be 1/3 more 'intriguing and interesting', according to FA Chief Executive, Martin Glenn. Roses to smell 10% sweeter this year, as well, no doubt.

Indeed. I omitted the quote and "intrigue and interest" for a reason. I also omitted the bit about increasing the "drama and spectacle".

I think it is a good idea as we might see better football, or at least less of the decline as players tire and managers go negative so as not to lose. Extra-time can be so drab when the managers and players are waiting for penalties. I prefer this option to abolishing extra-time entirely. I think it is a shame about the loss of replays in the quarter-finals.

i'm always wary of sports trying to manufacture drama, F1 have been running riot in that direction for a decade and it's brick

let the sport find itself, if viewing figures reduce so be it

I'd be in favour of having a scoreboard with the time clearly displayed so that way, everyone knows how much time there is left and the officials can't tack on additional "Fergie time" so to speak. Don't know what it has to be so cloak and dagger. The system at the moment is too arbitrary, refs only blow the final whistle when the ball is up in the air or immediately after the goalie has taken a goal kick.

Back