• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

I think referees have issues, hence am a big fan of the idea of VAR. I just dont think refs are capable of keeping up with the game and seeing what they need to see. So I am interested in advancements and rule changes that help.

However, I think it is also fair to say Refs simply do not perform as well as they can now, and it comes down to a fwe things primarily
1) They do not enforce their authority. And if they did, very simply, things would be much better.
2) They are outrageously inconsistent. Not only from ref to ref and game to game, but the same ref in the same game as well.
3) They increasingly see themselves as there not to enforce the law, but "manage the narrative" and add to the spectacle. Refs should not be a feature of the game. Personally I think we shouldnt even remember their names they were that unremarkable.

I agree with all three points, but let me play devils advocate.

1. Things are stacked against them asserting their authority. If they were more aggressive with cards, giving them as early and often as necessary, would they get backing from the football authorities when they get accused of being card happy. Rugby has a few extra powers to apply like reversing penalties for dissent or moving the ball forward. This penalises the team and becomes self-policing.

2. Inconsistency can happen for several reasons. One, actual inconsistency in making decisions. Two, positioning when the incident occurs. As you say, refs struggle to keep up with the game so can't be optimally placed. The average midfielder runs 12-14km per game now, a lot of it as sprints so how can a referee match that, let alone a long pass. More referees on the field or more help from technology is needed. Three, a baying home crowd and knowledge of a mistake can lead to make-up calls, even if not intentional. More help with decisions could help here.

3. The star referee is a problem. We see less of the little Hitler types, but some do seem to make themselves centre of attention. I'm not against managing the game. You see that can work well in rugby when the ref explains decisions and warns what will happen if they don't listen. But again the refs need tools. An example is when the rugby ref tells the captain that the next offence with be a sin-bin regardless of the player committing the offence. This could be used against a side that is serially fouling a dangerous opponent using different defenders (one Fergie masterclass of butchery against Lennon comes to mind).

Hodgson says 'i do not understand how we have allowed this rule to come into operation?'

Well when the rules get changed or introduced is there a consultation period or discussion with the various stakeholders to take opinion/advice/recommendations on board.

ie. Do the club's know nothing until it's communicated as a new rule?

the handball changes are a result of managers and players attacking referee's for years, for applying the handball rule based on intent, as long as I've been watching football, players have been appealing for handball at every opportunity, fans likewise, managers using goals allowed and penalties not given as excuses for poor performances elsewhere*, you reap what you sow

*the primary reason we lost today is because Kane and Dier didn't convert easy chances

the handball changes are a result of managers and players attacking referee's for years, for applying the handball rule based on intent, as long as I've been watching football, players have been appealing for handball at every opportunity, fans likewise, managers using goals allowed and penalties not given as excuses for poor performances elsewhere*, you reap what you sow

*the primary reason we lost today is because Kane and Dier didn't convert easy chances

It did feel like a loss, though it wasn't of course.

[QUOTE="Robbo, post: 1357925, member: 594"]Yeah that'll totally fix it. Problem solved. Move along now.[/QUOTE]

upload_2020-9-28_23-49-6.jpeg

I think I've read somewhere that Ellerys toy is thinking of telling refs to be a bit more lenient with reviews, this will hardly resolve the problem because decision will be made on the whim of an individual, and does not address the inconsistency issue, it also allows for generous decision for the usual suspects.

Generally I'm not in favour of changing the rules as the changes rarely seem to be an improvement. One thing I would like to see addressed is the obstruction of goalkeepers at corners, the player/s standing in front of the keeper are not trying to win the ball but stop the keeper coming out to catch it. It use to be great entertainment to see keepers leaping in the air to claim or punch the ball now they are corralled on the goal line.

Generally I'm not in favour of changing the rules as the changes rarely seem to be an improvement. One thing I would like to see addressed is the obstruction of goalkeepers at corners, the player/s standing in front of the keeper are not trying to win the ball but stop the keeper coming out to catch it. It use to be great entertainment to see keepers leaping in the air to claim or punch the ball now they are corralled on the goal line.
No attackers allowed in the 6 yard box?

No attackers allowed in the 6 yard box?

It's a good suggestion but perhaps a little extreme, maybe 2m space between keeper and players when ball is kicked? I know it's an other thing to watch but it might stop all that wrestling we get at corners which happens because players know keepers not coming into that space.

Back