• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rugby

By that token what skill do you need to be a sprinter? Being an athlete is an ability in itself, on top of which you need to be able to pass, catch, tackle, ruck, maul, scrum and kick.

Well timing for one, if you get a false start, you're disqualified.

I'll give you passing, tackling and kicking, but I was fairly good at rugby at school just because I was quick, and I hated rugby and hardly knew any of the rules.

I know a lot of good standard rugby players and a lot of footballers and the footballers are way bigger cnuts.

Also just look at the way rugby players react to refereeing decisions for all you need to know about the game in comparison to football.

That's all true, but there will still be a far bigger reaction had this happened in football. I know things like biting and spitting happens in football, but I'd rather be bitten or spat on then being punched then being punched again in the head whilst defenseless laying on the ground.

I think the different respect for referees is largely footballs own making. In football there is the philosophy that the referee is always right and does not need to account for decisions, which flies in the face of reality. For instance, the rules against reversing cards if the referee has seen the incident even when it is obvious he didn't see the important part. Or the reluctance to use technology as it will undermine the authority, as if he isn't undermined by videos showing the 50,000 people in the crowd and millions at home that the decision is wrong.

In contrast, the rugby the referee gets help and has tools to enforce the respect. The moving a penalty 10m or even reversing a decision stamps out dissent. Let a referee cancel/reverse a penalty when players surround him to ask for the player to be sent off. Can you imagine a manager like Fergie not doing something if his players kept getting penalised for dissent. Then you have the video technology where the referee can ask specific questions, from the general "any reason why I can't give the try" (any aspect including forward passes, crossing or failure to ground the ball) to a specific "can you check the ball was grounded". The referee is treated with respect because he is accountable and everyone behaves like grown ups.

The audio channel is also good as we get to understand what he is thinking. For instance, if we heard a player told to get up for diving or stop holding the short, the a subsequent booking would be clear. Players would soon stop swearing if fined and suspended when caught on mike. And the moment a rugby referee told George Gregan "Shut up, George. I'll do the refereeing" was priceless.

Good post. Yes there is a lot that can be taken from rugby if the will was there, which obviously it is not. Some of it may translate over well and some would not be as successful. I do think the inherent danger of rugby bestows a higher level of respect on the rugby ref than might be achievable in football. The rugby ref has the safety of all the players to worry about whereas a broken leg is about as bad as it gets in football.

The one thing that gets me in football is the art form that 'simulation' has become. I do think though that this should be the first item on the hit list. Having refereed a few youth team games I was firstly amazed that the kids were trying to con me considering they were all pre-teens, though I probably shouldn't have been, and secondly how hard it was to spot!!! We need to take help the refs here,. Back them with technology and post game review. The easiest thing in football would to introduce a retrospectively imposed fine and ban for anyone caught blatantly diving. If the ban was significant it would quickly disappear from the top levels of the game and filter down over time. What about a three strikes and you're out (for the season!!!). Serial divers would pariah's in the their own club.

Last edited:
haha what a punch. this guy is like suarez, it was the animal in him that got out. he will do it again, whether on the pitch or in real life.

in pro rugby and in football, can the victim file an assault report ? or is this all wrapped up the governing sports body too?

It is Rugby Union that is supposed to be the gentleman's game, that was Rugby League.

The image of the game does make me think of a famous example of simulation (before it was called simulation) in rugby. In a game against Wales or the British Lions, an All Black forward threw himself out of the lineout and the ref gave a match and series winning penalty. This was 40 years ago.

Was about to make that point that the clip was an RL game rather than a RU game. RL games are much more vociferous and volatile.

Love RU, not a big fan of RL

I'm not sure if the police should be getting involved, but I'd like to see him punished to the fullest extent of the law in Rugby terms.

On Rugby violence, eye gouging is up there as one of the worst things you can do, should be a life ban considering you could blind someone.

he punched him in the face twice, that's assault, violence on a sports pitch should be subject to the sane laws as violence in a pub car park

The difference between the two sports is how the fans consider the action.

I've heard nothing but condemnation from his own fans over his actions. If Kane did that to Wheelchair in a NLD he'd go down in our history books. He'd be cheered for it until the day he retired - if he left and joined another club we'd sing about it when we played them.

Part of that is because Wheelchair deserves it. I don't know much about Northern Rugby, but I can't think of a Rugby Union player that is even half the cnut Wheelchair is.

I've heard nothing but condemnation from his own fans over his actions. If Kane did that to Wheelchair in a NLD he'd go down in our history books. He'd be cheered for it until the day he retired - if he left and joined another club we'd sing about it when we played them.

Part of that is because Wheelchair deserves it. I don't know much about Northern Rugby, but I can't think of a Rugby Union player that is even half the cnut Wheelchair is.

Though Wheelchair wouldn't have needed to get punched to end up on the floor, he seems to spend most of the game sprawled out, looking up and gurning at the ref. C**t.

I think you are mixing up the act with your opinion of Wheelchair. What if Kane thumped the head off someone well liked in the game? The condemnation from our own fans would pretty widespread I imagine.

I think you are mixing up the act with your opinion of Wheelchair. What if Kane thumped the head off someone well liked in the game? The condemnation from our own fans would pretty widespread I imagine.
The match was a local derby apparently. I can't think of an Arsenal player Kane could punch that most fans wouldn't cheer about.

The match was a local derby apparently. I can't think of an Arsenal player Kane could punch that most fans wouldn't cheer about.

Well that's true. I still stand by my point that who you punch is directly related to level of indignation.

Anyway that got me thinking about who is the gooner I dislike the least. Tough question. Hmm....Ramsey maybe.

(wrong forum maybe)

Football is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and Rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen”

Football is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and Rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen”

what a load of gonad*s

it is a poor excuse of a sport and has a very homo erotic subtext not that I have an issue with that, just an utter pathetic sport for failed footballers

Back