• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

Considering he apparently turned them down in the summer because he wanted to join us, only to join them now, suggests it was our choice not to go for him.

£15m we would have paid, Im sure. It seems we are no longer interested.

Maybe its his wages, though honestly I wonder (a little foresight will tell you our wage bill is going to go up anyway), I think maybe its more his injury.

I think the main reason he turned them down in the summer was money. He was injured and wouldn't be playing until January. Waiting meant Everton paid his wages while he was injured and Chelsea pay a lower transfer fee later. They can divide the savings between them. On top of that he could always change his mind if other offers came along.

I wouldn't have minded him signing with us. Poch has a great record with young English players and if he wanted him then there would have been a sound reason. He would offer something different to what we have. But wages he was supposedly demanding would be a deal breaker, as it would risk the relationship with far more important players. I also don't like the games I think he was playing over money and the transfer.

Going to Chelsea doesn't seem a good move for him as I can't see him starting for them. It seems more like a Parker, Sinclair, Johnson or SWP. Players that set back their careers by not playing during their formative years.

giphy.webp
giphy.webp

He's chosen £ over playing sufficient games to get into the WC squad.

Bullet dodged as far as I am concerned.

Conte Quoted as saying he is still "very young" and has room to improve.

24 going on 25. Surely he is not that young anymore and should be the final product?

I actually liked Barkley as a player. And thought he showed ambition to get away from Everton. But going to Chelski for him is like Delph and sinclair going to Emirates Marketing Project. They are just there to fill out the numbers on the cheap and will hardly play.

I hope he gets games. England need more choices.

I think he's got as much chance of game time at Chelsea as he would have had here. Just as much chance of squeezing in front of Bakayoko, Pedro, Willian etc as he would have had getting in front of Alli, Son, Eriksen or a deeper role of Dembele etc.

Silly boy going there imo. He should have sat on the contract until June and then really looked at where was going to be good for his development. He would've got a very good wage wherever he went and he would've had a minimum of 3 clubs after him in the summer (Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs) plus a couple more from elsewhere no doubt. Instead he has decided to go there now and there is no way he is going to get regular game time this season or in the medium term. Unless you are going to improve the immediate 11 then any player under 25 going to Chelsea or City are absolutely stupid as they will not develop or be supported enough to develop sufficiently to get the most out of their career.

He is not going to play instead of Hazard, Willian or Pedro and he is good enough at the position to play in the two instead of Kante, Fabregas or Drinkwater. He can't rely on the manager to develop him because in the short term he won't be there much after 2019 if not this summer and the next manager in might not fancy him at all. I would expect that within 3 years he will have been out on loan or signed for someone like Leicester, West Ham or back to Everton.

Can't say that I'll be feeling to sorry for him as he has made this decision with clearly the financial aspect in mind and hasn't taken heed of the warnings set by the likes of Batshuayi, Salah, Marin et al. When his career is in freefall and he wonders what it was all for then he can always look at the £150k a week he gets for the duration and the odd trophy win he will have minimal involvement in as vindication for his choices.

Really disappointed we missed out on him. I think he could well be like others we missed out on by Chelsea like Hazard and Willian. A real missed opportunity imo.

Poch is reported as having gone cold on Barkley and wanting to concentrate on his real targets. Hope it's not another like Sissoko, Jansen, NKD or some other French winger.

If you’re going to buy in Jan you want instant impact if you’re us. Barkley will take at least a month to find match fitness. I see why Poch would rather wait for a preferred target. Remember, we were thinking Jan and then he had an injury set-back!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Difficult to tell whether he'd have been a great signing for us, however given the amount of game time which he's likely to get at Chelsea, it's hardly going to be good for his career, only his bank balance. You could understand someone like Drinkwater taking the cash given the move from Leicester came so out of the blue and it was probably his one and only chance to move to a top club, but its disappointing to see someone like Barkley trading career progression for cash.

Back