• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rodrigo Bentancur

Did you cut and paste this from the Lo Celso Ndombele 2019 window? :D

No point looking back, but N'dombele and Lo Celco really set us back, probably cost Poch his job, and left us a bit hamstrung. Yesterday was cathartic. Finally, a refresh. It's not all Ndombele and Lo Celco's fault. But it just shook down that way. Both never delivered anything like what we needed. Both 'luxury' players really.

I think Poch is a bit of a sucker for maverick players. Its possibly why he got so very much out of Alli. But it is not so sustainable. Conte on the other hand seems to like things a lot neater and more dependable. Both approaches have merits, and we had some of the most enjoyable seasons in memory under Poch. He elevated players, but couldn't with Lo Celco and Ndombele sadly. Great to be moving on now.

No point looking back, but N'dombele and Lo Celco really set us back, probably cost Poch his job, and left us a bit hamstrung. Yesterday was cathartic. Finally, a refresh. It's not all Ndombele and Lo Celco's fault. But it just shook down that way. Both never delivered anything like what we needed. Both 'luxury' players really.

I think Poch is a bit of a sucker for maverick players. Its possibly why he got so very much out of Alli. But it is not so sustainable. Conte on the other hand seems to like things a lot neater and more dependable. Both approaches have merits, and we had some of the most enjoyable seasons in memory under Poch. He elevated players, but couldn't with Lo Celco and Ndombele sadly. Great to be moving on now.
Poch, for all his amazingly good qualities, was basically a bit rubbish when it came to transfers. We'll never know exactly how much was due to the stadium debt and Levy's renowned tightness, but I cannot hold the manager blameless. Whether it's requiring niche players, or being an over-optimistic judge of character, or just being crap at identifying coachable mid-range players with high ceilings, our transfers during his tenure were really not good.

As you say, no point looking back though. It'll only make me sad.

Poch, for all his amazingly good qualities, was basically a bit rubbish when it came to transfers. We'll never know exactly how much was due to the stadium debt and Levy's renowned tightness, but I cannot hold the manager blameless. Whether it's requiring niche players, or being an over-optimistic judge of character, or just being crap at identifying coachable mid-range players with high ceilings, our transfers during his tenure were really not good.

As you say, no point looking back though. It'll only make me sad.

I guess to be fair to Poch and the club, most fans were psyched by Ndombele. He was apparently the real deal. But fans aren't spending 60+ million. So its not their job to do the due diligence. And yes Poch wasn't ever great with transfers. Who was the nut job striker he signed at Southampton who started fights and they released not long after?

Our transfers have been patchy at best since we left WHL and that's across 4 managers and including a DoF for a portion of that time - that says it's more down to our club standing/circumstance than it is any individual being 'bad at transfers'

Our transfers have been patchy at best since we left WHL and that's across 4 managers and including a DoF for a portion of that time - that says it's more down to our club standing/circumstance than it is any individual being 'bad at transfers'

No one will ever convince me that NDombele, Lo Celso and Sess were not Poch's picks. There is no w Levy would speculate that amount of money without a clear sign off from Poch. He really set us back with those three picks immediately after our CL final appearance when our stock was high.

Really hope this guy is the real deal.

Last edited:

Four managers plus.
I do find it bizarre that the same problems we have suffered from for decades, whether its signings, a lack of squad depth, or a poor mentality get laid at certain doors and not others.
Poch is the most successful manager we've had in fudge knows how long and yet its all his fault.
We've been poor for three seasons, and yet dele gets it in the neck despite barely playing.
I wonder sometimes, i really do.

Four managers plus.
I do find it bizarre that the same problems we have suffered from for decades, whether its signings, a lack of squad depth, or a poor mentality get laid at certain doors and not others.
Poch is the most successful manager we've had in fudge knows how long and yet its all his fault.
We've been poor for three seasons, and yet dele gets it in the neck despite barely playing.
I wonder sometimes, i really do.

Blame should be attributed where it belongs.

James Horncastle:
“Rodrigo Bentancur is a ball winner in midfield, Juventus’ best presser of the ball, and a player who, when he’s had the likes of Gonzalo Higuain, Cristiano Ronaldo and Paulo Dybala in front of him, is the one looking to cover and regain possession. He’s a very honest, hard-working, blue-collar player, the profile of player that Antonio Conte has always appreciated. I expect he will play in a midfield two in a 3-4-3 or if Spurs evolve into three in midfield, that’s something he can do as well.

What impresses me about Bentancur is that Juventus signed him as a teenager, yet he was already starting for Boca Juniors, a massive club in Argentina, and there is a lot of pressure that comes with wearing that shirt, playing at La Bombonera, playing in the Classico against River Plate and the Copa Libertadores. After a couple of years, he came over to Juventus, a winning team, and he was part of a side that went on a run of nine straight league titles, and he contributed to that record-breaking run. It’s not easy for young players from South America to come across to a new country, new culture, new language and play for such a competitive team as Juventus were when he arrived. He gradually established himself as one of the most reliable and dependable players in that group, no mean feat. Juventus are another massive club and with it, comes that expectation. I think it speaks volumes about his ability and character that he was able to handle all that.”

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/ne...ski-james-horncastle-italian-football-expert/

Texted with an Italian friend of mine.. he told me Spurs by far had bought the best players this window.. and Rodrigo was going to ba amazing for us infront of Romero

Sarri said of bentancur when they won the league. He is not important, he is fundamental.

Pirlo snd allegri play different systems to sarri, but i think conte wants to use him the same way.

Starts tonight, wearing #6
Alongside 3 very world weary but knowledgeable ageing rockers in Godin, Suarez and Cavani

No one will ever convince me that NDombele, Lo Celso and Sess were not Poch's picks. There is no w Levy would speculate that amount of money without a clear sign off from Poch. He really set us back with those three picks immediately after our CL final appearance when our stock was high.

Really hope this guy is the real deal.

Not to mention Clarke who seems like a transfer to help out his old mate and mentor.

I’m not sure the transfers since have been too bad. They have been back to working with not much cash and we eked a lot out of Hojgjerg. Doherty cost very little and can contribute more @billyiddo you picked him as your preferred right wingback. Royal is or will be one of the best RBs in the league. Granted Rodon was an odd one. Guess the outlay was small and we might be able to recoup. Gil - you can see the logic. One of the most impressive young players in Spain. Perfect commitment and determination (tho I think it was probably a waste as I don’t see enough (meat). But we shifted Lamela reduced the age bill and Gil can come good. He has more bite than Clarke that is for sure. Bergwjin could be a player. We’ll probably sell in the summer but he’s a player most like. Who else?

Back