1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Rodrigo Bentancur

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jan 2022.

1. tommysvr

tommysvr Eidur Gudjohnsen

Not saying you're wrong in your assessment of Bentancur, but PEH was similarly impressive in the first few months of his few season (and still definitely a valuable player.)

Baleforce likes this.
  2. The Fatman

The Fatman Noé Pamarot

I cant under stand all this praise, Bentancur is getting, Sherwood, keeps telling us, how bad a player he is, and only passes sideways and backwards.

Nob jockey (Sherwood)

FolkestoneSpur likes this.
  3. Yiddo

Yiddo Johnny Morrison

Still think we need another similar player in the middle of the park incase this guy gets injured / has a dip in form.

Gazza and Bishop like this.
  4. Legohamster

Legohamster Les Ferdinand

PEH has also been played non stop for club and country

What would be nice is if we had 4 options in the middle that we can rotate.

5. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Edgar Davids

Said i wanted a carrick type player in jan. Got my wish.

johnola and SpurMeUp like this.
  6. fernadez

fernadez Kasey Keller

One midfielder away from having good rotation options

Skipp
    Hojberg
    Bentancur

Ideally another passer, then that's two of eachish. Someone who has a strike on them wouldn't go amiss.

7. Gazza

Gazza Michael Carrick

So you ruined it for all of us with your wishing ... should have wished for peak Messi and peak Ronaldo ...

DeanoAustin and MKSpur like this.
  8. papaspur

papaspur Steed Malbranque

I felt that way too, but at least partly due to playing every single match and not being rested (like lego said), PEH fell off a bit. Then I noticed all the gesticulating and giving the ball away, then blaming others for his poor ball instead of tracking back right away... things he needed to get benched for IMO.
    Now all of a sudden with real, actual competition, maybe he's realized he can't skate by on his past performances. BTW, I don't think any player should be playing every single game even if they're fit (except GK of course). Maybe Kane can start all but one or two league matches, but rotation should keep players fresh in their bodies and their minds.

glasgowspur and afsoc4life like this.
  9. kendoddsdadsdog

kendoddsdadsdog John Piercy

Maybe Sarr will be the fourth. Not sure how he's been getting on in Ligue 1 or whether next season will be too early for him?

10. papaspur

Seems like Pape Sarr hasn't been getting that many minutes this season at Metz so he might not be ready for next season. Maybe our own youth prospects are not ready either. Can't see Ndombele suddenly being in the right mindset here, seems like he might be having the same issues again but maybe too soon to say. Same with GLC, no idea...

kendoddsdadsdog likes this.
  11. papaspur

IF both are playing well, then this would be great. I just want to see all our players playing well and working hard. After that, it's up to the manager to pick the team. The thing with Betancur is that he's been good so far, but if he keeps this up for the rest of the season, he will have shown consistency which we've been lacking in midfield.

12. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Trying not to get carried away...

Absolutely lovely player.

FolkestoneSpur likes this.
  13. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

Both of our Jan signings are turning out to be very good players, early days of course but the signs are good. Most players who come in from abroad usually take a while ( some longer then others) to settle but they have both hit the ground running. Good to see.

14. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Chris Armstrong

It’s off topic for the thread but I would like to see something like Sarr + Tanganga forming the spine of a competing championship team for a season.

Maybe Conte will be super impressed with Sarr come pre season, only time will tell but I think it’s more likely he’ll want someone proven to make us actually competitive.

kendoddsdadsdog likes this.
  15. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Les Howe

Yesterday he had 120 something touches, and 98 passes, which means he plays a lot of one touch.

I'd rather he doesn't do this move on the edge of the box too often, almost gave me a heart attack, but its brilliantly audacious, beautiful and a reason to watch football!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbXq56JFUF2/?utm_medium=share_sheet

FolkestoneSpur, Robbo and DeanoAustin like this.
  16. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Jack L. Jones

Yesterday he was class
    The guys a class player
    But certainly in his first 3/4 games he was taking too many touches
    Yesterday helped that they don’t press so he could show his class

17. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

I was really impressed with his movement. As you say, he was playing one touch and creating angles for passes. Really, really clever footballer. That turn was Spurs through and through, looked absolutely incredible, pure entertainment but we were only 2-1 up at the time and if he lost it, we were going to concede.

18. papaspur

I know, it's the kind of thing where the manager/coach is screaming at the player not to engage in such risky maneuvers, but then after the fact, the manager is applauding the skill. It seems like he's got good instincts, he really understands how to draw players to him to create space for others before he releases the ball.
    There was another moment where I think Romero, Doherty, and maybe Bentancur were playing really short passes to play out of trouble at the back. These things used to make me crap my pants just watching it happen, expecting some epic meltdown a la Chiriches. However, players like Romero and Bentancur seem to exude calmness even when things get frantic. As risky as it can be, the rewards for playing this way are there if the team properly exploits those opportunities.

MKSpur and braineclipse like this.
  19. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Les Ferdinand

20. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

Norwich would be perfect