• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Robot lawn mowers

scaramanga

Paul Miller
Staff member
So I've got this robot lawn mower and it's amazing. Everything was great until this one time, my cat shat in the garden...............

But seriously though, does anyone have one? Just had to cut the lawn for the first time since the autumn and I'd forgotten just how much I fudging hate doing it. Any recommendations or reasons to avoid?

Yeah he’s called Pete, he comes round every week and cuts the grass, keeps the hedges neat and tidy and sorts out all the plants in the borders and most importantly uses all his own tools.

I'm with @NoLimits01 on this one.
Pay someone to do all the boring stuff so you can enjoy the garden when you have the time to be in it.
Two issues with that

1. I could buy a robot mower for the cost of somewhere between 10 and 20 visits from Pete
  2. I'd have to let an actual person into my garden who may want a conversation, drink, etc

Two issues with that

1. I could buy a robot mower for the cost of somewhere between 10 and 20 visits from Pete
  2. I'd have to let an actual person into my garden who may want a conversation, drink, etc

I will admit it is more expensive but I hate gardening and a robot won’t do all the other horrible manual jobs that need doing in a garden (have you seen some of the stuff that gardeners have to do!!!)

Plus Pete visits on a weekday when we are all out, my only interaction with him is via txt

Two issues with that

1. Cost vs Value.
2. Have the cleaner let the gardener in.

Yeah he’s called Pete, he comes round every week and cuts the grass, keeps the hedges neat and tidy and sorts out all the plants in the borders and most importantly uses all his own tools.

I like to bathe in custard, he also does the guttering and cleans the windows as well.

We have a veg patch and some fruit trees and I like plodding around in there. But I also like to keep a local guy in some work and I hate cutting lawns.

Im in the market for a cordless mower since my corded one died. I don't mind doing it myself so no need for a robot mower. Id get one if i hated it, however, it might get stolen as I've got a front and back garden to tender to.

Yeah, I do. Love it. Flymo 1200r, £500 and worth every penny. I’d place it somewhere between the dog and the youngest child in the family pecking order.
Do you still have to do much work around the edges? I looked at the manual for that mower and it suggests that the border is around 300mm against walls and fences.

Last edited:
Do you still have to do much work around the edges? I looked at the manual for that mower and it suggests that the border is around 300m against walls and fences.

I don’t, no. Mrs SoT, to whom absolutely anything that looks like hard work is delegated, has to run round the edges with the strimmer every couple of weeks. If the lawn itself looks like baize it doesn’t matter too much that the edges are tufty. You’re supposed to put the guide wires 30cm away from edges but we have sleepers and a deck delineating the boundaries, so it’s much more fun to watch Mo bump into stuff, retreat in puzzlement then cheerfully set off in a new direction. That shortens his life, apparently, but as I said, he only slightly outranks the youngest daughter and matters much less than the dog. We can always get a replacement.

Im in the market for a cordless mower since my corded one died. I don't mind doing it myself so no need for a robot mower. Id get one if i hated it, however, it might get stolen as I've got a front and back garden to tender to.

They scream and hoot if stolen and set off on their little wheels to find their owner. You’d need to be a hardened criminal to bother.

get a decent reel /cylinder (push) mower if you are physically able - no need for wires and cuts the grass great.

Back