• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Agree with all the sentiment on here: impecible communication from him other players could learn a lot, also a talent who never got his head right. But 2 goals from open play in the league (was that the stat?) pierces any sentimentality. It was best for everyone that he went back to Spain.

Maybe I've become the arch pragmatist... but do you honestly think that if it had worked out differently, Soldado had a stormer of a first season and a top 4 club came in with wads of cash, he would have acted differently from Berba?

Maybe or maybe not ... had ledley had a clean bill of health do you think he would have stayed at spurs?

Its quite reasonable to say niether questions will never have the answer as to what you're getting at.

Good luck in the future Bobby. I hope you do well back in Spain. You were an unmitigated disaster for us and couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, but at least you behaved well and kept your integrity so thanks for that.

Why are you pursuing this? Aren't there children you could be telling Santa Claus doesn't exist?

Why? Because the whole thing stinks of the loser attitude that has plagued this club for half a century, where we have been content to be also-rans as long as we did it the "Tottenham way". Because it is a perpetuation of the "it's ok we lost as long as we were entertaining" myth that I can remember since I started supporting the club in the mid-70s.

Do I wish Soldado the best of luck? Of course. I always do, especially when a player leave to play outside England. This is not directed at Soldado who I genuinely believe did his best.

But if you don;t see anything wrong in this mass orgasm of adulation and hero worship for one of the biggest flops in our EPL history, then - again - please count me out of the party... It takes more than a soppy tweet to get me excited!

Why? Because the whole thing stinks of the loser attitude that has plagued this club for half a century, where we have been content to be also-rans as long as we did it the "Tottenham way". Because it is a perpetuation of the "it's ok we lost as long as we were entertaining" myth that I can remember since I started supporting the club in the mid-70s.

Do I wish Soldado the best of luck? Of course. I always do, especially when a player leave to play outside England. But if you don;t see anything wrong in this mass orgasm of adulation and hero worship for one of the biggest flops in our EPL history, then - again - please count me out of the party... It takes more than a soppy tweet to get me excited!

It's not hero worship for his performance on the field. It's healthy respect for someone that has respected the club and acted in a way that also respected the fans. He is apologising for it not working out.

I think it makes a change for an outgoing player to have a few nice things to say. Many of them don't seem to have a good word for the club after they've left.

Agree with all the sentiment on here: impecible communication from him other players could learn a lot, also a talent who never got his head right. But 2 goals from open play in the league (was that the stat?) pierces any sentimentality. It was best for everyone that he went back to Spain.

Three. One against Villa away, Cardiff at home, and Everton at home. The stats are atrocious, but I feel for the guy. Just saw his highlight reel from his time at Valencia. He had the margins on his side. Not so much with us.

It's not hero worship for his performance on the field. It's healthy respect for someone that has respected the club and acted in a way that also respected the fans. He is apologising for it not working out.

A player who left two summers ago wrote:
“I would like to thank everyone at the Club, the Chairman, Board, staff, coaches and players – and most of all the fantastic fans who I hope will understand this amazing career opportunity.
“I am not sure there is ever a good time to leave a club where I felt settled and was playing the best football of my career to date. I know many players talk of their desire to join the club of their boyhood dreams, but I can honestly say, this is my dream come true.
“I am well aware that I would not be at the level I am today were it not for firstly Southampton and then Spurs standing by me during some of the tougher times and affording me the environment and support they have.
Tottenham will always be in my heart and I’m sure that this season will be a successful one for them. I am now looking forward to the next exciting chapter in my life, playing football for Real Madrid."

The only difference was that he was the most successful and brilliant player of the past two decades who played his heart out for the team and single handedly dragged us to wins in a way that Soldado could only dream of and who respected the club impeccably for the duration of his Spurs career

What was the response from the fans on his departure? Well let's just say it was far more muted... Very few Good Lucks to be found in the Bale thread, in comparison....

But then, as I said, it seems we love to worship plucky failures....

Three. One against Villa away, Cardiff at home, and Everton at home. The stats are atrocious, but I feel for the guy. Just saw his highlight reel from his time at Valencia. He had the margins on his side. Not so much with us.

I'd like to know what his longest stretch of starts was for us? I'd guess 7/8.

I remember being at the lane for his first goal, a penalty I believe, place went mental. He was so hyped after, was the last person to leave the pitch and walked right over to the corner of Paxton/shelf to give his shirt away (I assume his family was there or something). Lovely moment.

Still love that goal against Everton as well. Think he got a winner v palace that was nice too and one at villa park (can't remember if that was also a winner).

Shame it didn't work out, hope things improve for him. Will be monitoring Villareal this season.

“I would like to thank everyone at the Club, the Chairman, Board, staff, coaches and players – and most of all the fantastic fans who I hope will understand this amazing career opportunity.
“I am not sure there is ever a good time to leave a club where I felt settled and was playing the best football of my career to date. I know many players talk of their desire to join the club of their boyhood dreams, but I can honestly say, this is my dream come true.
“I am well aware that I would not be at the level I am today were it not for firstly Southampton and then Spurs standing by me during some of the tougher times and affording me the environment and support they have.
Tottenham will always be in my heart and I’m sure that this season will be a successful one for them. I am now looking forward to the next exciting chapter in my life, playing football for Real Madrid."

The only difference was that he was the most successful and brilliant player of the past two decades who played his heart out for the team and single handedly dragged us to wins in a way that Soldado could only dream of and who respected the club impeccably for the duration of his Spurs career

What was the response from the fans on his departure? Well let's just say it was far more muted... Very few Good Lucks to be found in the Bale thread, in comparison....

Also we are not gutted about him leaving. Nice chap. Talented. His departure won't leave us worse off = no hard feelings.

Well all that doesn't change my point about Soldado? I wished Bale all the best as well and he will go down as one of my favourite players.

:p

People don't seem to understand that this has nothing to do with Soldado. It could have been Paulinho, for all I care, if his departure had elicited same type of response.

It's about our mentality...

We really should be hating all our players. Nobody will ever be good enough to play for us.

Always knew Soldado will struggle at Spurs. Never felt confident about him. But can see him doing well in Spain again.

:p

People don't seem to understand that this has nothing to do with Soldado. It could have been Paulinho, for all I care, if his departure had elicited same type of response.

It's about our mentality...

I think you're missing the point somewhat, if I may say so, and I'm surprised since you've already drawn attention to it with your comparison to the reaction to Bale's departure. Aside from the fact that he did seem such a genuine fellow and model professional, it's precisely because everyone knows we won't miss Soldado's contribution on the field of play that everyone feels able to be so effusive with the warm sentiment. We knew that Bale going was probably going to hurt us, so there was bitterness.

Back