1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Jimmy Greaves.

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Mulletperm, 19 Sep 2021.

1. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Jimmy McCormick

Worthy of 'he's one of our own' today.

2. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment John Lacy

Just come back to me that we had 'Gilzean, Gilzean, Born is the King of White Hart Lane' in the mid-60s. Still cannot remember a song for Jimmy though. Strange.

3. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Pedro Mendes

Nice one from whomever is running the pod twitter account.

4. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc John Lacy

Oh what a different attitude from a player and gentleman.

Gazza Dazzla likes this.
  5. parklane1

parklane1 Willie Hall

A really sad day, he was the reason i was a Spurs fan and without a doubt the best striker i have seen. The guy was a genius and i was lucky enough to have watched him on many occasions.

As a S/T holder I even passed up seeing Peters make his debue at the Lane so i could watch Jimmy play for W.Ham at Maine road( i was working in Manchester at the time). The pitch was like a ploughed field and covered in snow but Jimmy did what he does best ( better then any striker i have seen) and scored twice in a W.Ham win.

I was lucky enough to have met him on a couple of occasions and he was a real gentlemam RIP Jimmy.

6. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Paul Stalteri

One of the players (along with Mackay) that I wish I Had seen play. My father waxed lyrical about him so often and I have inherited pride that such a great player was, really was, Spurs.
    Had he played on modern pitches, with modern healthcare, imagine what more he could have done.
    Rest in Peace Mr Greaves. In an age where words are devalued and overused, you truly were a legend.

MKSpur and monkeybarry like this.
  7. FolkestoneSpur

FolkestoneSpur Nico Claesen

One of my all time favourite football photos and a present from my Mum who saw Jimmy play for both Spurs and Barnet. 20210919_142430.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

8. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Mitchell Thomas

Well, it was a time we all knew had to come. Very sad. I grew up playing my mates in the park and it was always a contest as to who was 'going to be Jimmy Greaves.' What a player he was. Another part of my childhood gone. RIP Jimmy.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2021
  9. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Pedro Mendes

For anyone who might not already have seen it, BT are showing the Greavsie documentary again tonight at 10pm.

FolkestoneSpur likes this.
  10. Mikey10

Mikey10 Mitchell Thomas

He even had an outstanding signature! Proper old-school autograph. Excellent.

MKSpur, Robbo and FolkestoneSpur like this.
  11. FolkestoneSpur

FolkestoneSpur Nico Claesen

Indeed, with a flourish as he was as a player.

12. Gilzeantoscore

That clam Tyler banging on about Greaves being Chelsea's best ever player and how he stopped Spurs from winning the league in 1960 by scoring against us for Chelsea. As I said, what a clam!

DeanoAustin likes this.
  13. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Jimmy McCormick

He is getting dangerously close to being smashed up by some Tottenham lunatic.

MKSpur and Gilzeantoscore like this.
  14. Whiffler

Whiffler Dean Austin

Not forgetting that Greaves scored on every debut, for every club and England.

mephitis likes this.
  15. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment John Lacy

Don't think I've ever known such excitement about one player's debut as on that day against Blackpool, but what was even more extraordinary was that if anything, Jimmy actually OVER-delivered. Why do I say that? Well because we all hoped he would score, and we all thought we knew what to expect. We knew how he could shimmy through a ruck of defenders and then emerge to slot the ball home, but scoring blinders from distance like he did that day was not, as he said himself, not really his thing.

So it actually came as a shock to see him do that angled scissors kick from around the edge of the box, and even more of a shock to see it rocket over the keeper and into the far corner. It was like WOW! this kid can score wonder goals whenever and however he wants. The crowd actually gasped. I think we were all utterly in awe of him.

Most games have completely faded from that era but his debut one was so very special it remains deeply etched in my memory to this day. It truly was one of the most enthralling days in all of my 68 years watching Spurs.

16. indospurs

indospurs Roman Pavlyuchenko

just saw this, my heart goes out to Jimmy again... <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In 1981 Jimmy Greaves movingly told Ian Wooldridge how it felt not to play in the World Cup Final in 1966.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RIPJimmyGreaves?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#RIPJimmyGreaves</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/JimmyGreaves?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#JimmyGreaves</a> <a href="https://t.co/t6tQSFfT6R">pic.twitter.com/t6tQSFfT6R</a></p>&mdash; BBC Archive (@BBCArchive) <a href="">September 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. We are Tottenham

We are Tottenham Niko Kranjcar

Imagine how he would have done these day,s how modern football pitches are well looked after.
    ..Chant.."Jimmy for England" was one but Ramsey woudn't pick him. Didn,t really need a song..his name was Jimmy Greaves.

Yesterday started for me with my Son phoning early in the morning to tell me the sad news about Jimmy.
    He was crying ..he knew what a great player greavsie was for us at Spurs.
    Jimmy was part responsible for us being the first British club to win anything in Europe..lets not forget that.
    He played football in Italy for half a season.He became ill with jaundice... he said that made him less fit and slower as a player. Retired earlier than most and still had a record tally of goals.

I got his autograph as a kid outside Tottenham town hall after Spurs 62 cup win.
    The goal I remember him scoring the most was against Leicester. Jennings kicks the ball out greaves brings the ball down
    on the half way line at the same time swerving past a player..takes the ball down the wing beating a couple more Leicester players.. takes the ball into the penalty area avoiding on coming players and slots the ball past Peter Shilton.
    There was not much of a shout of goal..the crowd just kept on clapping for ten minutes...ive never seen that before at a football match!!!
    GHod bless Jimmy....

metalgear, indospurs, spurrrr and 3 others like this.
  18. Gilzeantoscore

"I went through a goal drought once. it was the worst fifteen minutes of my life."

19. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Nayim

20. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Nayim