• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

RIP Jimmy Greaves.

Devastated to hear this news.

RIP Jimmy, for me you were the most deadly, as well as most entertaining, striker ever.

Watched him all the way through his Spurs career but don't remember him having a chant of his own. Then again it could just be my woefully fading memory.

But not even sure players had their own chants in those days. Earliest one I can remember is 'Nice one Cyril.' The song was a big hit early/mid1970s so was a ready-made 'gimme' for our hugely popular LB Cyril Knowles.
Worthy of 'he's one of our own' today.

Devastated to hear this news.

RIP Jimmy, for me you were the most deadly, as well as most entertaining, striker ever.

Watched him all the way through his Spurs career but don't remember him having a chant of his own. Then again it could just be my woefully fading memory.

But not even sure players had their own chants in those days. Earliest one I can remember is 'Nice one Cyril.' The song was a big hit early/mid1970s so was a ready-made 'gimme' for our hugely popular LB Cyril Knowles.
Just come back to me that we had 'Gilzean, Gilzean, Born is the King of White Hart Lane' in the mid-60s. Still cannot remember a song for Jimmy though. Strange.

A really sad day, he was the reason i was a Spurs fan and without a doubt the best striker i have seen. The guy was a genius and i was lucky enough to have watched him on many occasions.

As a S/T holder I even passed up seeing Peters make his debue at the Lane so i could watch Jimmy play for W.Ham at Maine road( i was working in Manchester at the time). The pitch was like a ploughed field and covered in snow but Jimmy did what he does best ( better then any striker i have seen) and scored twice in a W.Ham win.

I was lucky enough to have met him on a couple of occasions and he was a real gentlemam RIP Jimmy.

One of the players (along with Mackay) that I wish I Had seen play. My father waxed lyrical about him so often and I have inherited pride that such a great player was, really was, Spurs.
Had he played on modern pitches, with modern healthcare, imagine what more he could have done.
Rest in Peace Mr Greaves. In an age where words are devalued and overused, you truly were a legend.

Well, it was a time we all knew had to come. Very sad. I grew up playing my mates in the park and it was always a contest as to who was 'going to be Jimmy Greaves.' What a player he was. Another part of my childhood gone. RIP Jimmy.

Last edited:
That clam Tyler banging on about Greaves being Chelsea's best ever player and how he stopped Spurs from winning the league in 1960 by scoring against us for Chelsea. As I said, what a clam!

Great, great player, I've never been so excited by any signing as his. The wait to see him player was almost unbearable for a young fan. The day he made his debut they had to cancel our youth clubs game as 6 of us were going to the match. He delivered big time with a hat trick, one being a fantastic scissor kick volley (probably illegal now). His first match in Spurs colours was a reserve outing at Plymouth Argyle on a midweek afternoon, he scored 2 and they got a bigger crowd than the first team home games.

Sad day.
Don't think I've ever known such excitement about one player's debut as on that day against Blackpool, but what was even more extraordinary was that if anything, Jimmy actually OVER-delivered. Why do I say that? Well because we all hoped he would score, and we all thought we knew what to expect. We knew how he could shimmy through a ruck of defenders and then emerge to slot the ball home, but scoring blinders from distance like he did that day was not, as he said himself, not really his thing.

So it actually came as a shock to see him do that angled scissors kick from around the edge of the box, and even more of a shock to see it rocket over the keeper and into the far corner. It was like WOW! this kid can score wonder goals whenever and however he wants. The crowd actually gasped. I think we were all utterly in awe of him.

Most games have completely faded from that era but his debut one was so very special it remains deeply etched in my memory to this day. It truly was one of the most enthralling days in all of my 68 years watching Spurs.

just saw this, my heart goes out to Jimmy again... <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In 1981 Jimmy Greaves movingly told Ian Wooldridge how it felt not to play in the World Cup Final in 1966.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RIPJimmyGreaves?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#RIPJimmyGreaves</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/JimmyGreaves?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#JimmyGreaves</a> <a href="https://t.co/t6tQSFfT6R">pic.twitter.com/t6tQSFfT6R</a></p>&mdash; BBC Archive (@BBCArchive) <a href=" ">September 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The pitch was like a ploughed field and covered in snow

Imagine how he would have done these day,s how modern football pitches are well looked after.
..Chant.."Jimmy for England" was one but Ramsey woudn't pick him. Didn,t really need a song..his name was Jimmy Greaves.

Yesterday started for me with my Son phoning early in the morning to tell me the sad news about Jimmy.
He was crying ..he knew what a great player greavsie was for us at Spurs.
Jimmy was part responsible for us being the first British club to win anything in Europe..lets not forget that.
He played football in Italy for half a season.He became ill with jaundice... he said that made him less fit and slower as a player. Retired earlier than most and still had a record tally of goals.

I got his autograph as a kid outside Tottenham town hall after Spurs 62 cup win.
The goal I remember him scoring the most was against Leicester. Jennings kicks the ball out greaves brings the ball down
on the half way line at the same time swerving past a player..takes the ball down the wing beating a couple more Leicester players.. takes the ball into the penalty area avoiding on coming players and slots the ball past Peter Shilton.
There was not much of a shout of goal..the crowd just kept on clapping for ten minutes...ive never seen that before at a football match!!!
GHod bless Jimmy....

Back