• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Retro Gaming, Computers & Consoles Thread

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
With the news that Sir Clive died yesterday the pushing up the daisies thread has some convo's around old Spectrum games etc

Thought it would be good to have a thread to talk about which systems we owned and any particular games

I had a Spectrum 48k then a 128k version, my pals had C64's and even an Amiga (his parents were loaded)

Link to an emulator to play some of the classics online - https://www.dosgamers.com/zx-spectrum/zx-spectrum-emulator-fuse

I had the Spectrum 128k +2, with the light gun.

Also a C16+4, which I preferred to be honest.

Moved onto an Atari ST after that.

First I got an Amiga 500, then the A1200. Good times - I spent so much of my youth in front of those computers. Probably a bit too much at times. :D

Our first one was an Oric 1. It was OK but in direct competition with the Spectrum so didn't last.

My brother then bought a C64 with an external floppy disk drive off some posh prick. It came with every game under the sun, all pirated, and a copybook full of the codes to load the games. Then our pet gerbil got out one night and ate the copybook. The little fudge chewed it up into 1000 little bits, a left it in a neat little pile to taunt us. He hid up the chimney for 4 days before we captured him again. He died shortly after as a result of black lung from the soot up the chimney.

I got an Atari ST later for running Cubase.

Last edited:
That noise is bland and banal when compared to the beautiful ZX Spectrum loading noises, especially the dedicated whoop of a SCREEN$ picture import. Such an inferior machine, the C64.
I'll have none of that newfangled nonsense.

The BBC Micro Model B is where it's at.

I'll have none of that newfangled nonsense.

The BBC Micro Model B is where it's at.

First domestic computer I ever saw was my uncle’s Commodore PET, maybe 1979. It had the body of a mainframe and the green screen of a smartphone, and all you could play on it was a space invaders clone, but it was still the coolest thing that I could imagine at the time.

My mum had a PET but we wasn’t allowed to touch it, she used it to write her books (nothing exiting, psychology text books mainly)

I had an Ingersoll XK 500 as my first ever console and then a Vic20

Spent hours copying code out of magazines and then days debugging it

yeah we had a vic 20. Rarely got the copied code to run. Don’t know why we didn’t have a c64 but the last thing we would have done is moaned about it.

Noobs, I started gaming on a Binatone like this, on a black and white TV

2014-04-28-12.48.26.jpg

Then we had a ZX81, Dragon, VIC20, several BBC Micros.
I remember one summer my dad brought home "The Doomsday Disc" which was a huge laser disc thing with a dedicated computer to read it... I think there were very few in the country so we were 'honoured' to have such knowledge in our house. I remember searching for and finding the windmill in our village.

Back