• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rememberance Sunday

The point made by both Grays and Robby is a good one.

It is also vacuous imane and childish.

Millions of soldiers volunteered and there was popular support for the great wars.

They are the reason we do not exist under tyrannies each worse and more selective than the last.

It isn't compulsory to buy a poppy and there is no pressure to do so.

Pethaps rather than bringing up your crackpot theories about elites you should just let the rest of us reflect on the loss and sacrifices of those in our families and communities who put their lives where their mouths were.

Millions of soldiers volunteered and there was popular support for the great wars.

They are the reason we do not exist under tyrannies each worse and more selective than the last.

Pethaps rather than bringing up your crackpot theories about elites you should just let the rest of us reflect on the loss and sacrifices of those in our families and communities who put their lives where their mouths were.
Calm down, no one is telling you how to conduct your remembrance.

Did I mention elites? Or did I say that soldiers lives are wasted because of foolhardy decisions by politicians. I know many people who have sent their children to war in recent years and live every day that they are away on duty in fear. Politicians should be more careful when sending soldiers to war rather than worrying about who is wearing a poppy. Millions of men volunteered for conscription not really knowing about the harsh conditions they would face in the trenches; lives were wasted.

Last edited:

I think there is pressure, look at what happens to any poor sap unfortunate enough to be on telly without one

The point made by both Grays and Robby is a good one. Politicians fall over themselves to make sure they are seen wearing a poppy because not to wear one is just not the done thing. Then they go and vote to send our soldiers into pointless conflicts with no forward planning and often shoddy equipment. To top it all the discharged veterans need charities like "help the heroes" and the poppy appeal to support them. I often wonder If politicians would be so willing to send the soldiers in if one of their children was involved. This is a time to remember fallen soldiers but it is also a time that makes me so angry about wasted lives and the hypocrisy of the establishment.

I find it sick really that the Tories are using the remembrance poppy appeal to point score when 10% of London's homeless population are ex-servicemen and whilst thousands of former military personnel suffer from mental illness and poverty.

Those are issues that the Prime Minister should be addressing but then it's always been easier for politicians to jump aboard a bandwagon and to campaign on behalf of the dead than it is to ask themselves whether they are failing the living. This is a convenient diversion for politicians to draw attention from the policies that fail so many.

Oh and the whole Poppy thing has been blown overboard, I actually side with FIFA on the decision, Imagine the criticism/abuse a player would get if he chose not to wear a poppy, it's a symbol of a war won for freedoms, but now there seems to be no freedom about the choice to wear one!!

I have always supported the Poppy Appeal and the Remberance Ceremony but I come from a generation that knew people who had been effected by both World Wars and hold a great respect for their generation and the sacrifices that were made. I expect once my childrens generation pass away this custom may fade into history. I think it's a personal issue and people should respect those not wishing to wear a poppy, it doesn't make them a bad person as wearing one doesn't make you a saint. We should all be a bit more tolerant of each other.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/james-mcclean-poppy-remembrance-day-9152012

Ironically James Mclean probably has a greater insight into the significance of the poppy more than many of the footballers who just wear it on their shirt.

By the way I do support the Poppy appeal because I personally know people who have given their lives and I will honour the 2 minutes silence. That is my choice. If others have a strongly held view the other way I will respect their choice. I just don't like the hypocrisy of politicians from all parties and the media regarding it's wearing.

It was me who mentioned the elites and there's nothing crackpot about it mate. These same people who send the poor buggers into conflict are the one's cutting their benefit and basically washing their hands of them. As was said earlier, there are hundreds of veterans, broken emotionally and living on the streets, but the people who sent them don't seem to care too much. "Austerity you know, must live within our means you know." And for your information, I do buy a poppy!

The point made by both Grays and Robby is a good one. Politicians fall over themselves to make sure they are seen wearing a poppy because not to wear one is just not the done thing. Then they go and vote to send our soldiers into pointless conflicts with no forward planning and often shoddy equipment. To top it all the discharged veterans need charities like "help the heroes" and the poppy appeal to support them. I often wonder If politicians would be so willing to send the soldiers in if one of their children was involved. This is a time to remember fallen soldiers but it is also a time that makes me so angry about wasted lives and the hypocrisy of the establishment.

Well said.

David Squires says it better than I ever could:

2057.jpg

And last year:

1942.jpg

if it is in response to "throw Ireland out of the WC" its because they had a symbol of Easter Rising on their kit in March which is now picked up as a political symbol.

Back