• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rememberance Sunday

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
10416634_10154815922370475_5440869080947388294_n.jpg

Always such a poignant and sad day, its nice that so many take time to say thanks and to remember all of those who did and still do fight each day to give us the freedom we have in our daily lives, you will never be forgotten

I made sure after my meal at the shard we went to see the poppies at the tower of london, I found it incredibly moving, the sea of red

10644805_10154813602255475_1794195173830471874_n.jpg

I would like people to remember the fallen soldiers each time "military action" is being bandied about by politicians and other armchair generals. Rather than just buy a poppy and then cheerlead the latest war for the rest of the year.

Not all war can be avoided, but a lot of it could have been and that's the thing that people ought to remember.

I would like people to remember the fallen soldiers each time "military action" is being bandied about by politicians and other armchair generals. Rather than just buy a poppy and then cheerlead the latest war for the rest of the year.

Not all war can be avoided, but a lot of it could have been and that's the thing that people ought to remember.

Yes I agree with you that people actually not people, politicians are to keen for war.

Not seen the poppies are probably will not get round to it either as I am so busy these days. Mother in law brought one so I guess I will see one of them.

I observed the one minutes silence and am humbled by what the previous generations went through so we can have our freedom.

My own thoughts on wars now are that they should only be conducted with NATO's backing and we should not go in anywhere unless it is part of a coalition against a regime that NATO and the UN can agree on. I guess the claim of an isolationist could be thrown at me.

i watched the last episode of blackadder 4, it was more poignant than anything else.

there will never be a war like that again, so much loss for so little gain, (i'm talking about WW1)

Agreed.

i watched the last episode of blackadder 4, it was more poignant than anything else.

there will never be a war like that again, so much loss for so little gain, (i'm talking about WW1)

And agreed again. Sure I have posted this on here before but I love the quote from Harry Patch, the last surviving British WW1 soldier before his death in 2009.

2daf5fd606499168dac1475b6e3cf68b.jpg

Another one is:

"When the war ended, I don't know if I was more relieved that we'd won or that I didn't have to go back. Passchendaele was a disastrous battle – thousands and thousands of young lives were lost. It makes me angry. Earlier this year, I went back to Ypres to shake the hand of Charles Kuentz, Germany's only surviving veteran from the war. It was emotional. He is 107. We've had 87 years to think what war is. To me, it's a licence to go out and murder. Why should the British government call me up and take me out to a battlefield to shoot a man I never knew, whose language I couldn't speak? All those lives lost for a war finished over a table. Now what is the sense in that?"
- Private Harry Patch

Last edited:
Bringing remembrance into the digital age! I really liked the projection. The Tower of London really got to me as well, really touching. Fitting tributes and hopefully without coming across as insensitive, gesture such as the above will ensure future generations are made aware of the bravery of our troops.

Last edited:
Bringing remembrance into the digital age! I really liked the projection. The Tower of London blew me away as well, really touching. Fitting tributes and hopefully without coming across as insensitive, gesture such as the above will ensure future generations are made aware of the bravery of our troops.

Perhaps not the best choice of words there, old bean.

Its poppy day soon and the usual clamour to buy a memorial button hole starts with those who choose not to wear one being called unpatriotic or sick or somehow disrespectful of those who lost their lives. I tend to look beyond and remember those who sent them to certain death to fight, certainly in the case of the first world war, battles that had no meaning or purpose other than to satisfy the needs of an elite who rarely saw blood red unless it was in a wine glass.

On the basis of the England row, I think the authorities have a right to separate was from sport, I lost family and my Grandfather was a Burma Star veteran, but I remember it in my own way like many, I don't need to have it on England shirts and I don't think sport is the platform or it even matters if the poppy does not appear. There is absolutely nothing gained or lost other than perceptions.

Its poppy day soon and the usual clamour to buy a memorial button hole starts with those who choose not to wear one being called unpatriotic or sick or somehow disrespectful of those who lost their lives. I tend to look beyond and remember those who sent them to certain death to fight, certainly in the case of the first world war, battles that had no meaning or purpose other than to satisfy the needs of an elite who rarely saw blood red unless it was in a wine glass.

On the basis of the England row, I think the authorities have a right to separate was from sport, I lost family and my Grandfather was a Burma Star veteran, but I remember it in my own way like many, I don't need to have it on England shirts and I don't think sport is the platform or it even matters if the poppy does not appear. There is absolutely nothing gained or lost other than perceptions.

Poppies help raise money towards the care of veterans.

You bloody daft apeth.

Poppies help raise money towards the care of veterans.

You bloody daft apeth.
The point made by both Grays and Robby is a good one. Politicians fall over themselves to make sure they are seen wearing a poppy because not to wear one is just not the done thing. Then they go and vote to send our soldiers into pointless conflicts with no forward planning and often shoddy equipment. To top it all the discharged veterans need charities like "help the heroes" and the poppy appeal to support them. I often wonder If politicians would be so willing to send the soldiers in if one of their children was involved. This is a time to remember fallen soldiers but it is also a time that makes me so angry about wasted lives and the hypocrisy of the establishment.

Let's remember what the establishment promised these poor souls. Lloyd George said that they would return "to a land fit for heroes." What was the reality? The Depression, government cuts, massive unemployment and Churchill wanting to fire on the same men who went to the front during the General Strike. So yes I honour the sacrifices made by these great men, but I also remember the hypocrisy of the elite that sent them.

Wear your poppy with pride.
It's about honouring those who fought, fell and who carry the scars, both mentally and physically.
Their sacrifice allow us to live in the world we live in today, it may seem like a crap world, but it would be a lot worse with that sacrifice.

Back