• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Refereeing/ blaming referee

This article is largely about Fernandes' play acting, but mentions an interesting trial in the US to reduce time wasting.

Even Manchester United tiring of Bruno Fernandes’s antics – but he’s not the only offender

Is it time to empower referees to get stronger with the pet strop boys, to book them quicker or make them wait on the touchline longer to come back on? Or should the English game consider tougher action and look at the trial in the US, where a player has to get up within 15 seconds or be led off by medical staff and remain off for three minutes?
Never slow in seeking ways to improve the game, MLS has been trialling “the off-field treatment” rule in its development leagues. “If a player is suspected to have an injury and is on the ground for longer than 15 seconds, a medical crew will come on to the field to evaluate the player and assist him off the field,” reads the MLS private briefing note. “Once the player is off the field, the player will be treated by the medical staff and will be required to remain off the field for three minutes. There are specific exceptions to the three-minute requirement, including potential head injury, cardiac issue or other serious medical events.”

Even before this starts being trialled in bigger leagues, or reaches anywhere near Ifab’s domain, the obvious concern about subjectivity has to be discussed. Does the referee know whether a player is feigning injury or not? It’s difficult.

That MLS document does conclude: “The new rule will also increase effective match time by reducing the likelihood of players embellishing injuries and the gamesmanship that leads to delays in matches.” No player wants to risk being off for three minutes if not injured, so they would surely leap up within 15 seconds. MLS is still collecting data on it but initial impressions are that players are getting up more quickly.

Until some law is introduced to confront simulation, or players are shamed into fair play or understand they are role models, it would be great to see referees momentarily ignore the player frantically standing by the fourth official or assistant and wanting to come back on. If they’re wasting the game’s time, let’s waste theirs.

Pick oppositions best player. Bring him down, sit on him for 15 seconds, get him off for 3 mins.

Repeat.

Ndombele will have value again.

Is the VAR currently permitted to review whether a player who's rolling around clutching his head/face after a clash was actually touched there? If not, why not? It's hardly rocket science.

The VAR could then signal to the ref in real time whenever replays very clearly show there was no contact, so that he can take the appropriate action.

Obviously it's not always clear cut but whenever it is, it should help stem the the current surge in players feigning head injuries - especially if/when a player is on a second bookable offence.

Is the VAR currently permitted to review whether a player who's rolling around clutching his head/face after a clash was actually touched there? If not, why not? It's hardly rocket science.

The VAR could then signal to the ref in real time whenever replays very clearly show there was no contact, so that he can take the appropriate action.

Obviously it's not always clear cut but whenever it is, it should help stem the the current surge in players feigning head injuries - especially if/when a player is on a second bookable offence.

For me its a key point, I would have loved a retrospective review process that reprimanded players for faking it which made the refs job easier week on week due to punishments handed out (suspensions). We should have empowered refs with tech, not taken it away IMO. Said it before, refs were about 95% right before VAR, didnt 't need much to refine, would have helped to take out the cheating which puts refs in two minds. That alongside a much stronger respect campaign which is clearly needed to be seen at the highest level to have effect at the grassroots and we would have a much better game IMO.

I cannot believe what I saw yet again today !!

How can that cabin nonce sit there and not think his pal has massively roostered up giving that penalty !!

they showed everyone the replay over and over, it was the ref doubling down on his mistake

I cannot believe what I saw yet again today !!

How can that cabin nonce sit there and not think his pal has massively roostered up giving that penalty !!
VAR is right in not outright overturning the decision, as there is the slightest of contacts.
What I don't get is why they don't tell the ref to go and have a look again to decide if he really wants to award a penalty for that. If they are to follow this line, there should be 136 penalties in every game!

Back