• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Refereeing/ blaming referee

the goal line officials are in radio contact with the ref, they don't make signals like a lino, they just tell the ref what they saw

1. the ref should know the rules
2. when they get it wrong the assistants and fourth official should step in
3. well done UEFA, its a common sense solution

whats so special about this specific refereering mistake that there should be a replay?

Wow, yeah. Definitely a potential slippery slope for UEFA. And considering that they also run much higher profile tournaments and qualifiers I would imagine this kind of sets a precedent in a way.

I suppose the difference here is that the referee made a mistake due to not knowing the rules properly. Shouldn't happen much at all in bigger games. There's a difference between not knowing the rules and not seeing a situation correctly and misapplying the rules so it's not like people can ask for a replay due to not getting a penalty a referee didn't spot etc.

Still a bit surprised by that though.

CcUdV6mWIAMpfPU.jpg

Just some of the massive mistakes this weekend. A red for Ramsey could have been quite handy for us.

I do have some sympathy for match officals as they have to deal with many people who have been told to break the rules and intimidate them, also they get greater scrutiny of their descions than politicians who regularly ruin millions of peoples lives and break the law.

Until the governing bodies hit the clubs with point deductions this will carry on, fining multi millions a few hours wages in never going to stop this. What ever they do will be criticised by them media as it is full of ex players who rarely think anyone has done something wrong particularly their old clubs.

We live in a world were many think they are entitled to do and say whatever they like and dont expect any consequences to their actions, despite the current situation many still dont follow the lockdown rules, yesterday on my weekly shopping trip I saw over 50 people inter acting with others without Face (no not Facebook, grrrrr) masks. What do you expect when TV and films glorify violence and bad behaviour to gullible public.

I do have some sympathy for match officals as they have to deal with many people who have been told to break the rules and intimidate them, also they get greater scrutiny of their descions than politicians who regularly ruin millions of peoples lives and break the law.

Until the governing bodies hit the clubs with point deductions this will carry on, fining multi millions a few hours wages in never going to stop this. What ever they do will be criticised by them media as it is full of ex players who rarely think anyone has done something wrong particularly their old clubs.

We live in a world were many think they are entitled to do and say whatever they like and dont expect any consequences to their actions, despite the current situation many still dont follow the lockdown rules, yesterday on my weekly shopping trip I saw over 50 people inter acting with others without Face (no not Facebook, grrrrr) masks. What do you expect when TV and films glorify violence and bad behaviour to gullible public.
On the subject of refs, it is a horrific culture we have at all levels for ‘questioning’ decisions and trying to influence them. I remember back in the old days when I used to actually go to football matches and reacting to decisions at the ground but seeing they were completely correct in a tv replay!
It is beyond my comprehension as to why football has not invoked a similar code to rugby in the players treatment of refs- the way they are spoken to is just not acceptable and if the Prem introduces a strict rule then grass roots will follow, in the same way people in Sunday leagues started taping up their wedding rings and getting sleeve tattoos to mimic their idols.
I think VAR has helped refs a bit at least, it shown people can still make a conflicting judgement even with the aid of a video replay, so what chance to they have in real time!

I agree with this, when i took my coaching badges i had to take a ref's course and part of that meant i had to ref a number of matches. The cheating/ abuse/ from both managers and players was a regular occurrence and its got worse since then. Its the hardest job in the game because not matter what decision you make half the players/ managers during the game are going to blame you.

On the subject of refs, it is a horrific culture we have at all levels for ‘questioning’ decisions and trying to influence them. I remember back in the old days when I used to actually go to football matches and reacting to decisions at the ground but seeing they were completely correct in a tv replay!
It is beyond my comprehension as to why football has not invoked a similar code to rugby in the players treatment of refs- the way they are spoken to is just not acceptable and if the Prem introduces a strict rule then grass roots will follow, in the same way people in Sunday leagues started taping up their wedding rings and getting sleeve tattoos to mimic their idols.
I think VAR has helped refs a bit at least, it shown people can still make a conflicting judgement even with the aid of a video replay, so what chance to they have in real time!
Rugby players are an entirely different breed of people

The problem is VAR refs are absolute brick, and the opportunity for abuse (they decide what they want to review or not, e.g. Allison handball outside box against us "ignored" by VAR)

The solution is so simple
- VAR needs to be 10X more accountable than on-field ref's, you fudge up up a VAR decision, your out
- The rules need to be adjusted to help VAR be accepted (being offside by a fudging arm hair is never going to be seen as "fair" by public)
- Switch VAR from self initiated to captain initiated (copy Tennis), players know when brick was wrong, 3 VAR challenges a match, if you challenge and are right, you keep the challenge, if wrong, you lose the challenge.

You can also cleanup the game by retroactive review (you can't change the results, but you could make the game better), e.g.

- Shaw hackdown of Lucas (I think) in our first United match this season -> retroactive red
- Salah and his ridiculous repeated diving -> retroactive warning -> 3 warnings -> sit out a game
- Review ref performance, behind doors or open, admit the refs are making mistakes, review/analyse with them, points system promotion/demotion between leagues

There simply is no real appetite for ref improvement in English football, and it stuns me how often (not always) in Europe I'm 40 minutes into the game and suddenly realize "wow, the ref isn't complete dogbrick"

Back