• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp's Autobiography

I had a famous post on here where i predicted Harry getting the sack months before he did because of the inside grift on his situation.

Ultimately he did well but Levy saw him as a risk due to his Tax issues, Levy's view was that innocent mean rarely end up in court for tax issues unless there is something to it, comment made to my mate was along the lines of people are not randomly plucked off the streets to appear in Southwark Court. And added to that his escape route to the England job which left a bad taste in the mouth.

Likeable bloke and I enjoyed the show Harrys Heroes although I thought Merson came over incredibly well

Yep, thankfully he did not put us in financial trouble like he did at his other clubs. (Thanks to Levy).
I think the financial trouble clubs get into is always the responsibility of the chairman not the manager. Not sure anyone blames O’Leary for Leeds demise?

I am defensive of Redknapp’s record on the pitch and I actually think he would have been a good England manager, in the same way Venables was.

I also think he would have fallen for the same sting Allardyce did, which still beggars belief when he’d spent a lifetime to be chosen as a last resort and risked it all for a few £ he didn’t need.

Some of Sven Goran Eriksen’s activities as manager should have caused similar scrutiny but because he is foreign, has a big forehead ans wears glasses it didn’t seem to attract the same outcome.

Where does Venables fit in on the team performance / England manager / questionable personal reputation and financial dealings matrix?

I think the financial trouble clubs get into is always the responsibility of the chairman not the manager. Not sure anyone blames O’Leary for Leeds demise?

I suppose you think its just a coincidence that most of " rent a quotes" ex clubs were in money problems after he left. You may like him ( fair enough) but he is/was as bent as a nine bob note.

I suppose you think its just a coincidence that most of " rent a quotes" ex clubs were in money problems after he left. You may like him ( fair enough) but he is/was as bent as a nine bob note.
I don’t particularly like him, moreso since he became our manager and I paid more attention to his public comments. I certainly wouldn’t entrust him with any financial decision and my feelings are anyone who has a bank account in their dogs name cannot be dealing above board!

But I do think he got us playing well and players like playing for him.

So I do agree with you in one respect, but those previous clubs got into trouble for spending beyond their means, which even if the manager personally demands a player on high wages with little sell on value should still be the signed off by the bean counters who should be taking these factors into account.
There’s a book I remember coming out about this type of stuff, the whole game is rotten really. I’ll have to try and find it.

I don’t particularly like him, moreso since he became our manager and I paid more attention to his public comments. I certainly wouldn’t entrust him with any financial decision and my feelings are anyone who has a bank account in their dogs name cannot be dealing above board!

But I do think he got us playing well and players like playing for him.

So I do agree with you in one respect, but those previous clubs got into trouble for spending beyond their means, which even if the manager personally demands a player on high wages with little sell on value should still be the signed off by the bean counters who should be taking these factors into account.
There’s a book I remember coming out about this type of stuff, the whole game is rotten really. I’ll have to try and find it.

I think we will have to disagree on this, i was disgusted when Levy gave him the job and as i say the thought of a liar and crook being part of our club will never sit well with me. Did he do a good job here? well at best ( imo) that is debatable especially seeing the talent we had at the time.

You are right about the game being rotten, despots in charge of clubs, bent agents ( i have had the misfortune to come across a couple of them and sad to say they have always been part of the game), on one thing i agree its up to the chairman to a extent ( and Levy always kept a chain on him over that) but as i have said " rent a quote" is a good liar and the mess he has left behind him at several clubs proves that.

His reputation as a good manager was built by his mates in the press who had him on speed dial and knew he was always good for a quote ( hence the rubbish he was in the running for the England you, he never was in truth).

But as i say we will have to agree to disagree over him i guess.

I had a famous post on here where i predicted Harry getting the sack months before he did because of the inside grift on his situation.

Ultimately he did well but Levy saw him as a risk due to his Tax issues, Levy's view was that innocent mean rarely end up in court for tax issues unless there is something to it, comment made to my mate was along the lines of people are not randomly plucked off the streets to appear in Southwark Court. And added to that his escape route to the England job which left a bad taste in the mouth.

Likeable bloke and I enjoyed the show Harrys Heroes although I thought Merson came over incredibly well

Yeah it's not a good look when you're chasing the league/top 4 and your manager can't make a top of the table clash at Anfield because he's busy explaining in court why his dog has an offshore bank account and that he can't read or write.

There's nothing about that sentence that doesn't prove the theory that he was too low-rent for us. And that has nothing to do with his ability as a manager.

The stuff at the end of the season where he was running his mouth about a contact when Levy's mother had died, having hitched his skirt for England and de-railed our season, really was classless. But that's Harry 'innit?

I think we will have to disagree on this, i was disgusted when Levy gave him the job and as i say the thought of a liar and crook being part of our club will never sit well with me. Did he do a good job here? well at best ( imo) that is debatable especially seeing the talent we had at the time.

You are right about the game being rotten, despots in charge of clubs, bent agents ( i have had the misfortune to come across a couple of them and sad to say they have always been part of the game), on one thing i agree its up to the chairman to a extent ( and Levy always kept a chain on him over that) but as i have said " rent a quote" is a good liar and the mess he has left behind him at several clubs proves that.

His reputation as a good manager was built by his mates in the press who had him on speed dial and knew he was always good for a quote ( hence the rubbish he was in the running for the England you, he never was in truth).

But as i say we will have to agree to disagree over him i guess.
It’s fine to disagree and it’s good to understand your reasons, I enjoy the debate on ‘Arry!

As I’ve said before I don’t remember anyone thinking we were over achieving at the time and the AVB years were the closest I’ve come to giving up my ST.
I don’t read too much in the press about his managerial ability but they and tv even moreso lap up his man of the people Del Boy shtick, which the reality tv watching public also love because he won the jungle show!

However my judgement is not based on the press or his off the pitch behaviour, it is on his performance from what I saw and I thought given where we started from, what we spent during his reign and our sexy winning mentality two 4th place finishes and a CL QF we’re beyond what I thought we were capable of achieving. Modric and VdV are two of my all time favourite players, the latter I think has said he enjoyed playing for him and also benefitted from having a role that would played to his strengths. There are a few who improved under him and player their best for us in the system we played too.

Before us I think his record was decent other than his Southampton spell, given the clubs expectations and budgets he was managing.

You’ve said you didn’t want him from the start so maybe it would have taken a trophy or top 2 finish to convince you he performed well for us regardless of his personality?

I admire your principles as most of us have been hypocrites when it comes to football at one time or another. We’ve had a few other liars and crooks on the wage bill too, gorgeous George and El Tel as managers for example. I was more disgusted when Lloris was not stripped of the captaincy after his drink driving conviction!

It’s fine to disagree and it’s good to understand your reasons, I enjoy the debate on ‘Arry!

As I’ve said before I don’t remember anyone thinking we were over achieving at the time and the AVB years were the closest I’ve come to giving up my ST.
I don’t read too much in the press about his managerial ability but they and tv even moreso lap up his man of the people Del Boy shtick, which the reality tv watching public also love because he won the jungle show!

However my judgement is not based on the press or his off the pitch behaviour, it is on his performance from what I saw and I thought given where we started from, what we spent during his reign and our sexy winning meteorology two 4th place finishes and a CL QF we’re beyond what I thought we were capable of achieving. Modric and VdV are two of my all time favourite players, the latter I think has said he enjoyed playing for him and also benefitted from having a role that would played to his strengths. There are a few who improved under him and player their best for us in the system we played too.

Before us I think his record was decent other than his Southampton spell, given the clubs expectations and budgets he was managing.

You’ve said you didn’t want him from the start so maybe it would have taken a trophy or top 2 finish to convince you he performed well for us regardless of his personality?

I admire your principles as most of us have been hypocrites when it comes to football at one time or another. We’ve had a few other liars and crooks on the wage bill too, gorgeous George and El Tel as managers for example. I was more disgusted when Lloris was not stripped of the captaincy after his drink driving conviction!

You make some good points and as we have said Stop! Hammer time. However we could go on forever giving those opinions and to be honest Redknapp has long gone ( thank GHod) and just thinking about him brings back the fact our great club hired a liar and a crook i accept that there were others that you have mentioned. Good debate though. :)

You make some good points and as we have said Stop! Hammer time. However we could go on forever giving those opinions and to be honest Redknapp has long gone ( thank GHod) and just thinking about him brings back the fact our great club hired a liar and a crook i accept that there were others that you have mentioned. Good debate though. :)
Nice.

Out of interest what is your opinion on Venables? I was only a teenager while he managed us and it was anyways Sugar who was painted as the bad guy in that relationship at the time. From what I’ve read since it doesn’t show him in a particularly bad light but he never seems to come in for any grief on here?

Yeah it's not a good look when you're chasing the league/top 4 and your manager can't make a top of the table clash at Anfield because he's busy explaining in court why his dog has an offshore bank account and that he can't read or write.

There's nothing about that sentence that doesn't prove the theory that he was too low-rent for us. And that has nothing to do with his ability as a manager.

The stuff at the end of the season where he was running his mouth about a contact when Levy's mother had died, having hitched his skirt for England and de-railed our season, really was classless. But that's Harry 'innit?
I thought Redknapp did really well for us, but those last couple of months were a shambles.

i remember him talking after we lost to Norwich at home I think, saying “you can’t play a game without a defensive CM and expect to win”, like he was a pundit or something and not the SOLE reason we played the F’in game without a DCM!!!

Nice.

Out of interest what is your opinion on Venables? I was only a teenager while he managed us and it was anyways Sugar who was painted as the bad guy in that relationship at the time. From what I’ve read since it doesn’t show him in a particularly bad light but he never seems to come in for any grief on here?

I thought Venables was a very good coach but once he became a manager he loved the limelight and all that followed '(Club owner, singer, buisness man etc). As for Sugar well he was nowhere near perfect and i understand why some fans dislike him, however i will always be thankful for saving our club from the mitts of Maxwell because if he had got the club we would probably not be where we are.

I thought Venables was a very good coach but once he became a manager he loved the limelight and all that followed '(Club owner, singer, buisness man etc). As for Sugar well he was nowhere near perfect and i understand why some fans dislike him, however i will always be thankful for saving our club from the mitts of Maxwell because if he had got the club we would probably not be where we are.

Venables and Sugar is an interesting one. Venables did pretty well for us (3rd, won the cup) after a very ropey start (Port Vale, Bradford, Fenwick, Mimms). I never understood at the time why he moved upstairs although I was about 10 or 11. Shreeves was a disaster second time around while Livermore and Clemence did ok after a very bad start. But Venables' strength was always coaching and, as an businessman, he was just an early version of Redknapp really.

I hated Sugar for getting Venables out at the time but later came to understand why he did it and that he had saved the club. He also spent a good chunk of money on players throughout his reign but it never felt well thought out or that we were doing it with any direction in mind. Maybe 1994 was the only time when it felt like we were going somewhere by getting Klinsmann, Dumitrescu and Popescu. That felt like a massive statement but two of the three betrayed us after a year and the third flopped. Also when you hear players talk about Sugar, it's clear he knew nothing about the game. When I look at what Levy has subsequently done, it makes me realise how poor a chairman Sugar was for the football club and what a shame it is that we didn't have Levy when the Premier League started but, as you say, thank GHod we didn't have Maxwell.

So I have very mixed feelings on both.

Venables and Sugar is an interesting one. Venables did pretty well for us (3rd, won the cup) after a very ropey start (Port Vale, Bradford, Fenwick, Mimms). I never understood at the time why he moved upstairs although I was about 10 or 11. Shreeves was a disaster second time around while Livermore and Clemence did ok after a very bad start. But Venables' strength was always coaching and, as an businessman, he was just an early version of Redknapp really.

I hated Sugar for getting Venables out at the time but later came to understand why he did it and that he had saved the club. He also spent a good chunk of money on players throughout his reign but it never felt well thought out or that we were doing it with any direction in mind. Maybe 1994 was the only time when it felt like we were going somewhere by getting Klinsmann, Dumitrescu and Popescu. That felt like a massive statement but two of the three betrayed us after a year and the third flopped. Also when you hear players talk about Sugar, it's clear he knew nothing about the game. When I look at what Levy has subsequently done, it makes me realise how poor a chairman Sugar was for the football club and what a shame it is that we didn't have Levy when the Premier League started but, as you say, thank GHod we didn't have Maxwell.

So I have very mixed feelings on both.

I can't dance with that at all, talking about the three players you mentioned i remember Dumitrescu and watching him in one of his first games away at Ipswich, he was brilliant and tore them apart in a 3-1 win. I was with my lad and said it looks like we have another Waddle ( who imo was one of our best players to have worn our shirt). Boy was i wrong with that suggestion. :(

I can't dance with that at all, talking about the three players you mentioned i remember Dumitrescu and watching him in one of his first games away at Ipswich, he was brilliant and tore them apart in a 3-1 win. I was with my lad and said it looks like we have another Waddle ( who imo was one of our best players to have worn our shirt). Boy was i wrong with that suggestion. :(

I remember that Ipswich game. Only saw the highlights but all the players spoke about how if there was one performance to justify Ossie’s brand of football, that was it. What I saw of it was sensational.

Agree on Waddle too...one of my first Spurs heroes and he was still world class years later with Sheffield Wednesday.

I went to that game BUT was running so late my mate left the ticket on the turnstile and then came down to look for me at halftime to see if I'd shown up. I'm sure we were 3-0 up at half time but lucky old me only saw the second half.:rolleyes:

Didn't you say, in the past, that at first you thought Waddle was pony?

However my judgement is not based on the press or his off the pitch behaviour, it is on his performance from what I saw and I thought given where we started from, what we spent during his reign and our sexy winning meteorology two 4th place finishes and a CL QF we’re beyond what I thought we were capable of achieving. Modric and VdV are two of my all time favourite players, the latter I think has said he enjoyed playing for him and also benefitted from having a role that would played to his strengths. There are a few who improved under him and player their best for us in the system we played too.

I was really suprised under Redknapp as to how well he got us playing
Yes we had quality players but he still needed to pull them together
He was a dodgy bastard I’m sure but that’s a generational thing I believe. Also no players have a bad word to say about him generally
He has blagged a few things (bale for sure) but I loved the CL games under him I have to say

I went to that game BUT was running so late my mate left the ticket on the turnstile and then came down to look for me at halftime to see if I'd shown up. I'm sure we were 3-0 up at half time but lucky old me only saw the second half.:rolleyes:

Didn't you say, in the past, that at first you thought Waddle was pony?

I made a rash judgement after watching his first couple of games :oops: ( try and stay away from doing that now) and boy how wrong i was. He turned ou to be one of the best players i have seen in our shirt. Infact if i had to choose between him and the likes of Bale/Jones for our flank player Waddle would get in my favourite team.

Waddle ( who imo was one of our best players to have worn our shirt).

Agree on Waddle too...one of my first Spurs heroes and he was still world class years later with Sheffield Wednesday.

Absolutely loved Waddle. Don't think I've ever been so gutted for us losing someone. What made such an awful blow even worse was that we almost simultaneously signed Lineker, and Gascoigne was hitting his peak...just imagine what might've been.

Back