1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Racism on this forum

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by StephenH, 15 Apr 2019 at 3:36 PM.

1. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Paul Walsh

I have been accused of being a criminal because of the way I vote in a referendum. Racism is illegal(rightly so) yet so many times over the last 3 years I have been told if I voted leave I was racist. So yeah, you just have to put up with people saying brick about you.

2. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Clint Dempsey

And it's likely in this case you will be seen as racist, as racists call Arabs bomber etc and they won't have the context you think justifies the abuse.

nayenezgani, DTA and AuroRaman like this.
  3. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Simon Davies

You go into a pub in Glasgow mate and call anyone a prick and you either better be handy with your fists or a good runner.

Anyone of any colour or religion can be called a prick, only a black/coloured person can be called the N word, so only one is racist, so this argument is really not a very good example.

Parklaner81 likes this.
  4. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Clint Dempsey

Yes it's a perfect example as both are abuse but one is (rightly) treated more seriously

Yes you can have it both ways and we do.

5. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Bobby Mimms

Where were you living before 2018...?! ;)

Robspur12 likes this.
  6. scaramanga

scaramanga David Ginola Staff Member

I'm not calling Arabs bombers, I'm calling a Muslim a bomber.

Isn't assuming Muslims are all Arabs stereotyping? ;)

7. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Simon Davies

Ok, let's put it this way, Salah is a bomber, insult. No mention of race or religion, its naming calling.
    Some are assuming its because he's Arab or Muslim, we don't know that though.
    If you say I'm a tight fisted clam that's name calling, if you say I'm a tight fisted Scottish clam that's racist.
    That's my original point, 'insults' like the latter are traded on this forum almost everyday, nothing is said.
    I'm not sure if @StephenH is problem is that its racist or that he might be mistaken for a Chelsea fan.

Put italics on to emphasis and can't get it off, stupid Scots clam;)

8. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Clint Dempsey

So you say, without going through your posts anyone reading it is just as likely to think you are calling Arabs bombers.

I think both are bad but as you don't care about one I am just letting you know it's as likely people will think the other.

9. scaramanga

Isn't it handy that we've all just had a discussion on what is and isn't racist then? Now everyone knows.

10. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Clint Dempsey

Be sure to link this thread whenever you insult him in this way in the future, job done.

11. parklane1

parklane1 Luka Modric

Indeed its a sad state of affairs that it seems the norm for everyone to feel slighted when they are called names in todays world.

12. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Ruel Fox

I remember the first time I got called a 'bomber'. It's such a shame I didn't have an expert on semantics handy to explain to me that the pleasant chaps surrounding me weren't being racist, they were just joking. You know, like inferring a Scotsman wouldn't buy a round at the pub. It's just the same.

13. scaramanga

I'll just refer to him as the pigfudging, Jew hating dive bomber - that should make it clear.

14. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Clint Dempsey

If you were Muslim and your child was labelled a bomber by some random fudgewit on the street, you'd just tell them to get on with it? Seriously?

@scaramanga's dangerous assertion that abuse against religion is ok is just plain wrong. I am not religious, I'm an atheist, but I respect people's right to practice faith and believe what they will. The vast majority of Muslim people are peaceful, commited members of society.

Abusing someone because you dismiss their way of life may not technically be racism, but it's just as vile in my view.

@scaramanga also justifies his abuse by claiming Salah has a choice in following his faith, but he was raised to be Muslim from his birth and had no choice in many respects. Just as we have no choice where we are born and very little choice in what our nationality is.

It's a dangerous slippery slope and I'm glad @StephenH has called it out. Current climate of the world doesn't help but there's just so much hate in the world at the moment and so accessible. Hard to get up and face it at times.

15. scaramanga

Were they referring to your religion or your skin colour/nationality?

16. parklane1

parklane1 Luka Modric

No need to get your nickers in a twist mate ;) i was talking in general not about any specific comments.

Kandi1977 likes this.
  17. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Clint Dempsey

Mate seriously? It doesn't fudging matter, how can you not see that.

AuroRaman and DTA like this.
  18. scaramanga

He has every choice.

I was raised a Christian but simply applied logic to my thought processes and realised how fudging ridiculous everything about that religion is.

He can also choose to shake the hands of Jewish players if he so chooses but instead chose to be a clam.

Kandi1977 likes this.
  19. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Simon Davies

I take this is aimed at me, were you called a 'bomber', or something else? You've put it in quotation marks so it's not clear.
    And it's not inferred at all, it a stereotype of Scots oft trotted out. And like most stereotypes totally untrue in my experience.
    Also its not just that a scot won't buy a drink but that they are mean, misable and unwelcoming.

I do note that you are playing this down when I can point to several cases in popular culture where this is still portrayed, or at least repeated as 'classic' entertainment.

Racism, bigotry and prejudices exist and are all too common in this world, I condemn each and every one of them.
    The only way to improve it is through education, and you can't tell kids that it's OK to call Jimmy one thing but not John another.
    Wrong is wrong, it can't work any other way.

As an aside the Scots thing does not bother me in the slightest but I know plenty it deeply offends. We all have our soft spots though and I can totally understand why people get upset.

20. scaramanga

If course it does.

The only fair way to judge people is in what they do, the choices they make, etc. That's why racism is wrong.

Pigfudger chooses to hold the beliefs he does and should be judged for that (harshly IMO). He didn't choose his nationality or skin colour and anyone criticising him for that is wrong.

The only exception to the rule is gingers, the soul stealing clams.