• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Racism in football

I have experienced extreme antisemitism, as a Spurs fan I have experienced it more than have seen racism but thats not me saying it does not exist, its just natural that as a Spurs fan with a Spurs badge on my jacket I would be called a dirty yid. I would not necessarily though say that because of what I have experienced that I believe the UK is a hugely racist/antisemitic country because the kindness I have experienced in my life and seen by FAR outweighs the hurt and I would like to think educated people would also see that 150 men lead by Tommy Robinson does not reflect the whole of the UK.

As a Jew who has experienced Antisemitism in the sport I would not like players to take the knee for us because of what Chelsea and West Ham fans have done/do I would prefer to seek action, action which is not apologist because of the Y word use by Spurs fans. If I was Black like Les Ferdinand who echoed that view early on I see the same for the BLM knee and as I have said to death on here, make real actions to kick out racism rather than make it about booing the knee which despite being terrible is not anywhere near the real issue here when we are talking institutional racism in a sport.

I totally agree that there needs to be action and it is easy for gestures to mask the real issue. But that doesn't mean taking the knee is of itself meaningless. In fact, by supporting taking the knee, if there is a next time for racism to rear its ugly head within the PL, then the PL is going to have to take strong action, otherwise they are shown up to be total hypocrites.
Taking the knee keeps the topic visible. Education and action should be happening in parallel.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Harry Kane spoke about taking the knee earlier in the week.
A few extracts :
"I hear people ask if we should still be doing it and we should," "What people don't realise is sometimes we are watched by millions of people round the world. Of course, for the person who watches the Premier League every week, they see the same thing every week. "But I think if you look around the world you see children watching the game for the first time, seeing us all take a knee and asking their parents and asking why we take the knee. "It's a great chance for people to explain why and get their point across. Education is the biggest thing we can do. Adults can teach generations what it means, and what it means to be together and help each other no matter what your race."

He also said that it was important for white Premier League players to play their part in highlighting racism.
"I don't like it when people say we should just play football and stick to kicking a ball, because we have a huge platform. We come across to millions round the world. Our voices should be heard. "All we want to do is help and help the world be a better place.
"The more education the younger generations get, hopefully as time goes by racism will be a thing of the past and that's got to be the aim - especially with children. We want to bring them into a world where were all together and we all understand each other.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55151065

Maybe, if the political aims of Black Lives Matter as an organisation, rather than as a concept/movement, are giving people something to hide behind in booing, and therefore distract from the main message, then maybe the PL, in consultation with the players, could consider dropping BLM references and instead link taking the knee to a clear anti-racism, anti-discrimination message. Then see who boos the gesture.
Either way, I'm happy for it to continue for as long as the players feel it is worth doing, but it shouldn't be seen as the only thing that needs to be done.

I totally agree that there needs to be action and it is easy for gestures to mask the real issue. But that doesn't mean taking the knee is of itself meaningless. In fact, by supporting taking the knee, if there is a next time for racism to rear its ugly head within the PL, then the PL is going to have to take strong action, otherwise they are shown up to be total hypocrites.
Taking the knee keeps the topic visible. Education and action should be happening in parallel.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Harry Kane spoke about taking the knee earlier in the week.
A few extracts :
"I hear people ask if we should still be doing it and we should," "What people don't realise is sometimes we are watched by millions of people round the world. Of course, for the person who watches the Premier League every week, they see the same thing every week. "But I think if you look around the world you see children watching the game for the first time, seeing us all take a knee and asking their parents and asking why we take the knee. "It's a great chance for people to explain why and get their point across. Education is the biggest thing we can do. Adults can teach generations what it means, and what it means to be together and help each other no matter what your race."

He also said that it was important for white Premier League players to play their part in highlighting racism.
"I don't like it when people say we should just play football and stick to kicking a ball, because we have a huge platform. We come across to millions round the world. Our voices should be heard. "All we want to do is help and help the world be a better place.
"The more education the younger generations get, hopefully as time goes by racism will be a thing of the past and that's got to be the aim - especially with children. We want to bring them into a world where were all together and we all understand each other.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55151065

Maybe, if the political aims of Black Lives Matter as an organisation, rather than as a concept/movement, are giving people something to hide behind in booing, and therefore distract from the main message, then maybe the PL, in consultation with the players, could consider dropping BLM references and instead link taking the knee to a clear anti-racism, anti-discrimination message. Then see who boos the gesture.
Either way, I'm happy for it to continue for as long as the players feel it is worth doing, but it shouldn't be seen as the only thing that needs to be done.

Basically I think we can agree it should go back to kick it out. They were good, maybe all the players stand on the halfway line with a ball before kick off, they kick the ball into the stands for the fans to grab. On each ball it says. Say no to racism, kick it out.

Then as you said anyone who booed that would clearly be racist.

Like it did with Cavani which has gone deathly silent? Not even any publicity on why it was wrong, regardless of culture and actions taken etc etc? Would have been perfect to come out and say the player is going to be part of an education programme on why the wording was wrong but no, the knee....

Its an act, its not an answer and not being funny, I could write a PR statement to suggest any action is worthy but unless there is action its just a symbol.

A real action would be to empower kick it out rather than try to stiffle their work....etc

Well I am afraid that is the wrong thing to do. To stop it and to stop it from happening again to you or someone else is to report it so the police can deal with it.

If the police dont want to deal with it and I can quite believe in the 80s and 90s they did not want to, less believing of it today. Then you go to anti racist organisations so that we have a clear idea of the size of the issue.

I once visited Science Museum with my Mrs and 2 kids at the time. It was the day of City v Chelsea FA Cup semi and at Kings Cross 4 Chelsea fans swore and abused my Mrs and myself. While we had our kids. Just racist and anti Muslim slurs. I didn't react at all as I had my world with me, my family. I went 20 yards to two cops and they said they couldn't do anything about it. I decided to go home with my family. My Mrs has refused to travel to Central London since and it has been years as she just assumes abuse will happen again.

My kids were frightened as was my Mrs. All I wanted to do was fight them but I couldn't. I tried the police and they did feck all.

Don't tell me what I do is wrong or right mate. I am the way I am based on my experience.

I don’t have much faith in kick it out, they’ve been around a long time yet achieved very little.

There needs to be more support from governing bodies though, Suarez and Terry should both have been given worldwide lifetime bans.

I once visited Science Museum with my Mrs and 2 kids at the time. It was the day of City v Chelsea FA Cup semi and at Kings Cross 4 Chelsea fans swore and abused my Mrs and myself. While we had our kids. Just racist and anti Muslim slurs. I didn't react at all as I had my world with me, my family. I went 20 yards to two cops and they said they couldn't do anything about it. I decided to go home with my family. My Mrs has refused to travel to Central London since and it has been years as she just assumes abuse will happen again.

My kids were frightened as was my Mrs. All I wanted to do was fight them but I couldn't. I tried the police and they did feck all.

Don't tell me what I do is wrong or right mate. I am the way I am based on my experience.

That was the right way to react, accept you should have taken the police badge number and told them you were reporting them.

I do sympathize with you getting to the point were you no longer trust the police. That is understandable and why the police really need to make mich more of an effort. You will notice I did not defend the police in my previous posts but rather said I think the is an issue there.

Getting rid of the police does not solve the issue though. Education training and punishment does.

Gandhi is an inspirational guy and I liked that all he went through he kept up with his beliefs to get what he wanted.

I tell you and it's the truth if after every black death in police custody the blm movement went and blocked police stations and courts, I would be there with them. Targeted protests I am all for.

There were some shockers on twitter about the Sainsbury advert.

I see they are rolling out even more banners at Millwall tonight about anti racism. It aint more gonna work, gonna be interested in the fans tonight, I fully expect more boos

There were some shockers on twitter about the Sainsbury advert.

I see they are rolling out even more banners at Millwall tonight about anti racism. It aint more gonna work, gonna be interested in the fans tonight, I fully expect more boos

Couldn't have been prouder when our supporters applauded at the weekend. Felt poignant.

Couldn't have been prouder when our supporters applauded at the weekend. Felt poignant.

Yeh that was great considering Ollie Holts campaign against us. Ironically.....

ENgde8-X0AIdWYr

What the fudge kind of point is this idiot trying to make?

Was at the time of the Terry court case. I think but dont know for sure, I think he wrote two John Terry books so might have a vested interest.

Ironically when the Police exonerated Spurs fans he said it was a stitch up, he called the FA pursuit of Terry and his lose of captaincy as a stitch up.....

Back