• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Quitting Cigarettes

raboner

Banned
cold turkey.. it's almost the end of day two and i am officially a nervous wreck, sweaty palms, twitchy, fidgety, distracted..

how long is this brick going to take?

fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu_0.jpg

Cold Turkey is not a good idea, if you are a regular smoker

Patches are very effective

Disagree - smoked over a pack for 6-7 years.

When I decided it was time to quit, slowly reduced and eventually cut it off completely.

Different people respond to different 'methods'

Last edited:
i want to at least attempt cold turkey, i am generally a pretty strong-willed person, so i want to give it a crack...

will see how we gooooo eeeeekk.

I have an addictive personality and was smoking about 15 a day (started at Uni). Planning to give up didn't help me, tried the patches and gum which didn't help. I always said that if I could quit for 2 days then I'd never turn back. Anyhoo... moved onto lighter ciggies for a while (not great but better than nothing), then one day at work got some serious flu. Left early and lit up, it tasted like brick so I chucked it. Never would have imagined that was my last fag... I went to bed when I got home and slept for 9 hours, wow I thought let me eat and sleep through the night without a smoke, I did. In the morning still felt awful so ate and slept. Pretty much slept through a day and a half without a ciggie. I pushed this to 2 days which drove me on.

When I returned to work I didn't want to totally change my habit so went out with the smokers at breaks, yep cheated a little with some passive smoking but it kept me sane. Oh and my last packet of fags? I didn't chuck them or crush them. Keeping them in the house made me feel secure in a strange way. When I felt like a ciggie at work, I drank some peppery tea (Twinning's Chai).

I'll be honest with you, mentally I don't think I was clear for a year and a half but I also knew that if I had 1, then I'd have 2 then 4 then 8 etc. Not had 1 ciggie since I gave up about 5 years ago. Another motivating factor was that I was at the stage for kids and I didn't want to be a smoker at the stage of conception or when we had a child.

A little tip that worked for me. A lot of the relaxation in smoking is the breathing in deeply of oxygen (so I've read). When you feel a bit stressed, just breathe in deeply and hold a few times.

Good luck!

I gave up through will power three and a half years ago. I'm a stubborn bastard and decided that I didn't want to smoke anymore and that it wouldn't beat me.

One thing that I found helped was when I realised that smoking is a rubbish addiction. It costs a lot of money but you get nothing in return apart from not wanting a cigarette for a while. At least a junkie gets a hit.

Good luck with it. Just concentrate on not smoking one day at a time. I found it got easier after a week or so.

Champix is amazing if cold turkey doesn't do it.

I gave up in order to save towards my wedding/honeymoon and managed it with little or no willpower at all. Unfortunately started again about 9 or 10 months after, but as a method of giving up I can't fault it.

I gave up a few months ago, after 2-3 days cold turkey I was fine.

Although I recently started having a couple a day again recently because I have no will power and a social group of smokers.

I blame them completely.

Although I recently started having a couple a day again recently because I have no will power and a social group of smokers.

I blame them completely.

haha this worries me greatly! i know as soon as i'm out for a beer next; i'll have cigarettes all around me.. i guess i'll just have to be strong.

and thanks for the advice everyone including mods, you guys are alright ;) 8-[ \o/

I blame them completely.

Give it a couple of months you'll be smoking regular again ;)

I gave up cold turkey for a good few months - went on holiday and almost as soon as i got off the plane i bought a 20 deck, lol

When I decided it was time to quit, slowly reduced and eventually cut it off completely.

If it took you 6/7 years to smoke a pack I wouldn't be to concerned about quitting mate :)

How many do you smoke a day raboner?

I knew for a long time I wanted togive up but never committed to it. Over this time I did cut down quite successfully though, only really smoking at work. So no evenings or weekends (unless I was out drinking).

Then there just came a point where something snapped in my head and I thought "Thats it, Im done now" and thats when I stopped.

I do have the occasional one when around friends, but its a total "take it or leave it" thing. I didnt struggle at all - once my mind was set.

I think the problem is with a lot of smokers (myself included) giving up is that you want to because its the right thing to do, but you dont WANT to, hence you fail. Once I made the choice/realisation that I genuinely wanted to stop it was really easy.

Its been about 2 months now. I was at a wedding last Friday, eating and drinking all day, didnt even think about cigarettes let alone crave them.

I gave up in order to save towards my wedding/honeymoon and managed it with little or no willpower at all. Unfortunately started again about 9 or 10 months after, but as a method of giving up I can't fault it.

This.
I gave up a 40 a day habit of 20 odd years with champix. That was 4 years ago and I haven't looked back

Is Champix the stuff that can give you really bad nightmares?

Old man went on that I think and had to come off it, done his head in, can be very disturbing.

How many do you smoke a day raboner?

I knew for a long time I wanted togive up but never committed to it. Over this time I did cut down quite successfully though, only really smoking at work. So no evenings or weekends (unless I was out drinking).

Then there just came a point where something snapped in my head and I thought "Thats it, Im done now" and thats when I stopped.

I do have the occasional one when around friends, but its a total "take it or leave it" thing. I didnt struggle at all - once my mind was set.

I think the problem is with a lot of smokers (myself included) giving up is that you want to because its the right thing to do, but you dont WANT to, hence you fail. Once I made the choice/realisation that I genuinely wanted to stop it was really easy.

Its been about 2 months now. I was at a wedding last Friday, eating and drinking all day, didnt even think about cigarettes let alone crave them.

probably about 10-15 a day.. more on weekends.. i think i really do want to, as i had my first cigarette at 16 and i'm now 24..

if i can get through this weekend, i think I'll be ok..

it's going to be tough though.

So you didn't go cold turkey then :lol:

You did what patches promote...a reduction in nicotine over a longer period

probably about 10-15 a day.. more on weekends.. i think i really do want to, as i had my first cigarette at 16 and i'm now 24..

if i can get through this weekend, i think I'll be ok..

it's going to be tough though.

The other thing that really helps is delay and distract.

If you focus on smoking (or not!) then its all you think about and it makes life difficult. If you think "I want a cigarette" either delay "Ill leave it 10 minutes" (you would be amazed how often its an hour before you think of it again) or distract "Ill just do this first"

Also - I had my first at 12 and gave up at 31!

I was going to say exactly this. My cousin (was a heavy smoker) now quit and has done for around 3 years now.

Patches are usless according to most people I have spoken to, same goes to the gum.

Not sure about the e-cig's either as they are just the new 'fashionable' way to quit. Someone I know was puffing away at one while watching a how to stop smoking dvd, got up 10 minutes in and lit up. IMO they just remind you to have a fag (bit like the quit smoking adverts on tv).

Raboner - apparently the first two weeks are tough - a bit like anything really but smoking is a massive intense addiction so its tougher I think.

I smoke and it is a nasty habit. That first cig in the morning is brilliant or with a cup of coffee or after dinner. The biggest issue though is when you go out for a drink. I think to successfully quit for a few weeks you need to stay away from the bars and pubs etc and even to an extent having a drink and then slowly ease back in to it.

Back