• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Question for our brothers in Iceland

This was Friday, right outside my house. (stole the pic from å friend og mine, otherwise it would have been upside down backwards)

1bbededc2c6829cccbd001624b71a664.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

I went when we played Tromso away about 5 years ago. Fantastic place to visit...

...saw fudge all of the northern lights though!

And be wary, as the organised viewing tours are extremely expensive (and in my case was money entirely down the drain).

This was Friday, right outside my house. (stole the pic from å friend og mine, otherwise it would have been upside down backwards)

1bbededc2c6829cccbd001624b71a664.jpg

The wife insists on seeing them soon, any advice you can give?

Where do I fly to, etc?

The wife insists on seeing them soon, any advice you can give?

Where do I fly to, etc?
Tromsø via Oslo would be the way to go, can't imagine there is a direct flight from London. That or Svalbard, kill two birds with one stone and watch some polar bears while you're at it.

Tromsø is a great city to visit anyway, good food and plenty of life. Been there twice, no northern lights while I was there though.

Hurtigruta could be an alternative, if you enjoy cruises. From sea the NL can be a spectacular view, and you get to watch the coast during the day. The cruises start from way down south and make several stops heading north (or the other way round). You can book from and to various cities.

And do some research, I'm no expert, just happen to live here [emoji16]

Tromsø via Oslo would be the way to go, can't imagine there is a direct flight from London. That or Svalbard, kill two birds with one stone and watch some polar bears while you're at it.

Tromsø is a great city to visit anyway, good food and plenty of life. Been there twice, no northern lights while I was there though.

Hurtigruta could be an alternative, if you enjoy cruises. From sea the NL can be a spectacular view, and you get to watch the coast during the day. The cruises start from way down south and make several stops heading north (or the other way round). You can book from and to various cities.

And do some research, I'm no expert, just happen to live here [emoji16]

Thanks. Tromso it is, I think - don't have sea legs at all.

Norwegian have direct flights from Gatwick to Tromsø. Prices from around £120 for the round trip.

Think you just out ranked me as tour guide.

Golf and Northern Lights, now that's a £899 package!

207_aurora_borealis_Lofoten_Links_16BITS_NEW_1-copy.jpg

http://lofotenlinks.no/?lang=en

https://lofoten.info/lofoten

This area of Northern Norway is generally nicer to visit than anywhere else, even if you don't play golf. Getting there can be a bitch though, it's far away from everywhere. There are routes via Oslo to Leknes og Svolvær.

That's handy. Just looked at a map - am I right in thinking that Tromso airport runway is longer than Tromso as a city?
Not quite, but Tromsø Island isn't very big. Tromsø is in a way on two islands, Tromsø Island and Kvaløya and also on the mainland (Tromsdalen). It's a great city as there are lots of restaurants, bars and pubs all in a quite small area. Lots of students so plenty of hotties to "look" at too :D

Not quite, but Tromsø Island isn't very big. Tromsø is in a way on two islands, Tromsø Island and Kvaløya and also on the mainland (Tromsdalen). It's a great city as there are lots of restaurants, bars and pubs all in a quite small area. Lots of students so plenty of hotties to "look" at too :D
Is it sunny enough to be wearing sunglasses so the wife doesn't see me and get in a huff about it?

Oh, and seeing as you're now my official travel agent, what time of year is best? My wife's birthday is at the end of September so I suppose that would be a good time.

Is it sunny enough to be wearing sunglasses so the wife doesn't see me and get in a huff about it?

Oh, and seeing as you're now my official travel agent, what time of year is best? My wife's birthday is at the end of September so I suppose that would be a good time.
If it's mainly for seeing the northern light, I'd go in February/March, as the weather in the autumn and until Christmas is very unpredictable. Lot's of rain and clouds in that period. February and March is usually better in that respect.

Back