• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Question for our brothers in Iceland

parklane1

Vic Buckingham
I do believe we have members on here who live in Iceland? if so i was wondering if you could offer some advice.

My old lady has always wanted to see the Northern Lights and to keep her happy i have said we will go next year. So i need some help with a couple of questions.

(1) Is there a " better" time to see them ( ie month).

(2) I have read that its pot luck if they appear when you want them too, is that correct?.

(3) We would obviously fly from England so what airport would be the best for us to land at?.

(4) Having never been to Iceland is it as expensive as i have been told it is.

Now i have said we can go but i have said it will not be during the football season ( need my weekly fix), would that be possible?.

Thanks guys.

I do believe we have members on here who live in Iceland? if so i was wondering if you could offer some advice.

My old lady has always wanted to see the Northern Lights and to keep her happy i have said we will go next year. So i need some help with a couple of questions.

(1) Is there a " better" time to see them ( ie month).

(2) I have read that its pot luck if they appear when you want them too, is that correct?.

(3) We would obviously fly from England so what airport would be the best for us to land at?.

(4) Having never been to Iceland is it as expensive as i have been told it is.

Now i have said we can go but i have said it will not be during the football season ( need my weekly fix), would that be possible?.

Thanks guys.

I'm not Icelandic, but:

1) Winter time, when It's dark all the time is a good time. I think. Went there last november, but just missed a proper borealis spectacle by a few days. Also check out when It's less likely to be cloudy, obviously.

2) Yes. There are forecasts for this as well, but not a very long time beforehand.

3) Keflavik. Reykjavik is where the fun is anyway.

4) Yes. Sorry.

Another option for the northern lights is of course northern Norway. Tromsø, for instance, though I guess It's easier to get to Iceland from England.

Northern lights are top of my list to do one day

I work with an Icelandic lady. My favourite thing about the country is that the population is the same as west Sheffield. She reckons not every individual, but basically you know every family. Imaging knowing pretty much everyone in your whole country

You can't reliably predict when there is strong northern light, but in the winter months you're likely to see it north of the artic circle, as long as there are no clouds.
There is constantly northern light, but the strength is dependent on solar activity. ATM it's at its lowest value (0), so you need to be in a place without any light pollution to really see it, and it won't be that spectacular. If there is strong solar activity, it can be seen as far south as the Mediterranean.

I do a bit of photography, and here's one I took in November last year.
20181102_235434.jpg

Iceland is too far south, go to Tromsø. I live farther north than Iceland and I see it from time to time.

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Not a photographer, but took this from my porch.
1f80fbf4effb6a5cc432ede72cc89271.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Norway is a good call. I've seen it a few times in the mountains in the south as well. Its majestic. Absolutely incredible. Northern Norway is probably your best bet. Lots of companies offering (probably overpriced) northern lights safaris and whatnot.

Back