1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Quacks & Pseudoscience

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by scaramanga, 15 Dec 2015.

1. 90291Spur

90291Spur Steve Carr

That's good to hear. Alternative medical choices frequently fervent opinions (I personally combine allopathic and so-called alternative modes of healing). 'Proven' medical science has worked wonders to fight disease and prolong life and it, like all science, is paradigm based and thus shifts what is the right thing to do with new paradigms.

Danishfurniturelover likes this.
  2. 90291Spur

90291Spur Steve Carr

Is it any more shocking than shoving pills at patients, supplied to them by multi-billion pound corporations looking to increase their profit margins?

Danishfurniturelover likes this.
  3. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Pascal Chimbonda

Almost everything is supplied by profit-seeking corporations, from food to football. That’s got nothing to do with the questions of how much public money to divert to charlatans, or of whether clinicians should resort to placebo.

4. parklane1

parklane1 Nayim

Not sure about that scara.

Is CBD oil good for pain?
    Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is used by some people with chronic pain. CBD oil may reduce pain, inflammation, and overall discomfort related to a variety of health conditions. CBD oil is a product made from cannabis.

5. the dza

the dza Paul Robinson

If you think and feel that something is providing you relief from pain, then that's surely a good thing? Regardless of the science behind it, if you feel better then that has to count for a lot. Just so long as it's not done totally at the expense of scientifically proven medicine, then I don't see the harm. If you have a back ache and someone sticks a bunch of pins in and you feel better afterwards, what difference does it make what the science is?

Daisuk likes this.
  6. ShipOfTheseus

Would you apply that to all classes of woo? Even homeopathy, say? Crystal therapies? Mediaeval humour rebalancing? Is there any point where you’d demand plausibility?

scaramanga likes this.
  7. Daisuk

Daisuk John Lacy

This. My wife had great effect of going to acupuncture when she was pregnant and constantly sick. I started telling her it didn't actually work, but she thought it did, and when I started encouraging her instead (she just wanted my support in a desperate situation), it helped even more, and suddenly became a big relief for her because she believed it to work. Placebo can be a powerful thing.

the dza likes this.
  8. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Nick Barmby

I'll drink to that.

9. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Nick Barmby

Thought you was going to offer giving someone acupuncture there for a minute.

10. the dza

the dza Paul Robinson

I guess it depends on how many people have found it helpful. I don't know much about mediaeval humour rebalancing, but I do know that a lot of people feel acupuncture gives them pain relief. I don't see the harm in that. It doesn't appeal to me, but to each their own, if they feel better then it has achieved it's objective. I don't think anyone is suggesting it's a cure for illnesses, but if people do it for pain relief and their pain is relieved then it doesn't really matter if it's all cobblers. You either feel pain or you don't.

11. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Les Ferdinand

You used to many big words for me to truly know what your talking about, but I think scientific and holistic can work alongside each other. I tried the Vegan thing and it is proven to be healthier I just could not manage it, same as the drinking, I cute it right down but not got rid completely.

The Chinese are some of the healthiest people on the planet and they have been practising for generations with the knowledge passed down the generations.

12. scaramanga

scaramanga David Ginola Staff Member

The plural of anecdote is not evidence.

13. scaramanga

Chinese life expectancy roughly doubled in the years after "western" medicinal methods were introduced.

14. scaramanga

I'd like to see some evidence rather than an unattributed quote.

15. parklane1

parklane1 Nayim

Please yourself.

16. scaramanga

You're the one fighting the corner of the efficacy of snake cannabis oil.

You can't do that without the backing of evidence.

17. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Roman Pavlyuchenko

To be fair the quote is bolded, what more do you really need?

18. ShipOfTheseus

Heh. Props for the merge.

The anti-vaxers are an entirely different order of brickbag than the pain-relief quacks, though.

scaramanga likes this.
  19. scaramanga

It really does matter a lot. The alternative healthcare (snake oil) industry is worth over $3 trillion. That money goes to expanding the industry, buying lobbyists, falsifying studies in order to convince professionals to prescribe their woo, etc.

An industry that may seem harmless when looked at as an individual case is causing real and actual harm to many, many people. People are getting hurt and even dying because of the woo industry.

ShipOfTheseus likes this.
  20. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Les Ferdinand

But they were alive before that, which sort of proves that their medicine works.

Im right your wrong nah nah.