• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Qatar 2022

ghod

Fraizer Campbell
Whilst everyone is quite rightly worrying about the heat, something else seems to have been ignored.

The home team have a right to play in the tournament.

The Qatari national team have never qualified for the world cup.
They are currently ranked 100 in the FIFA rankings ( below Zimbabwe, Palestine and Angola to name but 3)

This means one of the 8 groups will effectively be a 2 out of 3 challenge for the teams lucky enough to be drawn against them.

I predict here and now one of those 3 teams will be France.

The Qataris will have loads of new citizens by then. Mohammedinho, Qasim bin Silva, Alberto Yusuf, Alf, etc

FIFA must be asking themselves; How do we manage to get Qatar through the group stages? The host nation always gets a massive hand from the officials.

Pretty sure this wasn't ignored, it has been raised many times in the past how ludicrous it is that a minor team with no real football history to speak of will be given a free pass. It has just become an insignificant and far off problem compared to the daily deaths and human rights abuses.

GCC countries are very tight fisted with their citizenships. Qatar, however, has a history of giving it away if the recipient pledges their future to the country. The ASPIRE academy, for example, is/was full of young Africans who will go on to represent Qatar.

The whole thing is pathetic. I hope for everyone's sake that it is moved.. or that the major countries boycott the event.

Pretty sure this wasn't ignored, it has been raised many times in the past how ludicrous it is that a minor team with no real football history to speak of will be given a free pass. It has just become an insignificant and far off problem compared to the daily deaths and human rights abuses.

GCC countries are very tight fisted with their citizenships. Qatar, however, has a history of giving it away if the recipient pledges their future to the country. The ASPIRE academy, for example, is/was full of young Africans who will go on to represent Qatar.

The whole thing is pathetic. I hope for everyone's sake that it is moved.. or that the major countries boycott the event.

That is probably the single weakest objection to Qatar getting the WC that exists at present. There's a lot of reasons why Qatar shouldn't get it: the heat, the legitimised indentured servitude, the deaths of the migrant workers building the stadiums, their regressive laws concerning homosexuality (an objection that exists for Russia as well), but taking the WC away from Qatar because they're a tiny little nation that has no right to dine with the football snobs who've been around for decades is, on reflection, not a reason at all. Blatter's done a lot of questionable and downright repugnant things as head of FIFA, but his seemingly real desire to see the nations of the world without this vaunted 'tradition' of football get the chance to establish such a legacy is something I can concede is right and fair. Football will not survive if it stays the sole property of the 'righteous' nations with their long and storied footballing legacies (South Americans and Europeans, for the most part) just because they have said legacies to brandish in front of the world: that's a circular argument. Like it or not, the rest of the world wants a greater say in how footballing power is distributed, and awarding the WC to them is the biggest way of doing that, what with all the exposure and sponsorships that it brings to their domestic leagues and their FAs. Starting with the United States in 1990, and then moving on to Korea/Japan in 2002, South Africa in 2010 and Qatar/Russia in 2018 and 2022, the world's game is seeing power wrested away from the pompous old boys in Europe and South America, and that's one good thing Havelange and Blatter have done, whatever their flaws.

So, yeah, giving Qatar the bye into the World Cup group stages because they're hosting it is ludicrous based on their human rights record: it isn't ludicrous based on their supposed footballing irrelevance. Personally I'd be happy if we didn't see another European/South American based WC until the second half of the century myself, excepting perhaps one tournament held in the UK in 2026 or 2030. Give South and East Asia, Africa, the Middle East and North America their own tournaments, and let them in on the game that presents itself as 'global'. Let Europe and South America stew for a bit, they've had enough WCs as it is.

south korea have a long history of qualifying for worldcups prior to and post 2002. They are one of the strongest nations in their confederation. They're incomparable to Qatar on footballing terms. our best ever left back was from there ;)

I don't know a whole lot about Qatar, not enough to comment on with any great knowledge anyway, but surely the argument that this world cup will instill some sort of football 'legacy' within the country really is a fallacy based on a numerous factors, not least the population size and it's makeup. Whilst I agree with the premise that the game should not just be passed around the footballing elite countries I don't think this particular argument applies to Qatar. This to me looks like nothing more than an old fashioned bribe.

I don't know a whole lot about Qatar, not enough to comment on with any great knowledge anyway, but surely the argument that this world cup will instill some sort of football 'legacy' within the country really is a fallacy based on a numerous factors, not least the population size and it's makeup. Whilst I agree with the premise that the game should not just be passed around the footballing elite countries I don't think this particular argument applies to Qatar. This to me looks like nothing more than an old fashioned bribe.

How small is too small? At which point do we draw the line? Five million residents? Six million? Seven? Each of those options cuts out whole swathes of genuinely interesting countries (New Zealand for one, plus a whole host of European/South American countries like Finland, Norway, Ireland, Uruguay et al) out of the list of 'nations who are permitted to try and build football legacies. And that's clearly fallacious given the genuinely long and interesting football histories of a lot of these small nations (forget New Zealand and the European countries, even tiny ones like Macedonia, Iceland, Jamaica et al), including Uruguay (just one million more people than Qatar) who actually won the damn WC, ranking them on par with England (population: 50 odd million) and above India (population: one billion) and China (population: one billion, two hundred million), to take just a few examples.

It's not just the legacy for Qatar, it's that whole middle-eastern, NW African region.

I don't think it should have gone to Qatar, is was a blatant bribe, but can at least appreciate the argument that that particular region is relatively untouched by the World Cup.

Should have been Australia though.

That is probably the single weakest objection to Qatar getting the WC that exists at present. There's a lot of reasons why Qatar shouldn't get it: the heat, the legitimised indentured servitude, the deaths of the migrant workers building the stadiums, their regressive laws concerning homosexuality (an objection that exists for Russia as well), but taking the WC away from Qatar because they're a tiny little nation that has no right to dine with the football snobs who've been around for decades is, on reflection, not a reason at all. Blatter's done a lot of questionable and downright repugnant things as head of FIFA, but his seemingly real desire to see the nations of the world without this vaunted 'tradition' of football get the chance to establish such a legacy is something I can concede is right and fair. Football will not survive if it stays the sole property of the 'righteous' nations with their long and storied footballing legacies (South Americans and Europeans, for the most part) just because they have said legacies to brandish in front of the world: that's a circular argument. Like it or not, the rest of the world wants a greater say in how footballing power is distributed, and awarding the WC to them is the biggest way of doing that, what with all the exposure and sponsorships that it brings to their domestic leagues and their FAs. Starting with the United States in 1990, and then moving on to Korea/Japan in 2002, South Africa in 2010 and Qatar/Russia in 2018 and 2022, the world's game is seeing power wrested away from the pompous old boys in Europe and South America, and that's one good thing Havelange and Blatter have done, whatever their flaws.

So, yeah, giving Qatar the bye into the World Cup group stages because they're hosting it is ludicrous based on their human rights record: it isn't ludicrous based on their supposed footballing irrelevance. Personally I'd be happy if we didn't see another European/South American based WC until the second half of the century myself, excepting perhaps one tournament held in the UK in 2026 or 2030. Give South and East Asia, Africa, the Middle East and North America their own tournaments, and let them in on the game that presents itself as 'global'. Let Europe and South America stew for a bit, they've had enough WCs as it is.

Yes, I know, my second sentence - the one after the highlighted one - says just that.

I am not against spreading the game around the world, but it has to be realistic. Somewhere like Qatar is unfit to host a major sporting event for many reasons. 2026 in Antartica, 2030 in Narnia.. everyone bid on a summer tournament with the relevant parameters, countries spent millions on their bid processes and it was a fix because another group spent more and offered bribes.

South Korea managed to get to the semis. :-"

North Korean won it hahah !!!

A video has appeared online apparently showing North Korea’s state controlled media telling their football fans that the national team have reached the World Cup final in Brazil…

We’ve known for a long time now that supreme leader Kim Jong-un controls the flow of information to his people, with the television channels only reporting positive stuff about the country.

But in a brilliant s**** report posted on YouTube, the media appears to be caught broadcasting that North Korea are on course to win the biggest prize in football, despite not actually qualifying for the World Cup

The report says North Korea’s brave side crushed Japan 7-0, USA 4-0 and China 2-0 in the group stages, before going on to reach the final… against Portugal.

Of course, the real final, which takes place this Sunday, is between Germany and Argentina.

Included in the coverage are ‘highlights’ from the matches, with the team shown scoring goals and cheering – although the clips look pretty old..

[video=youtube;ZJoRZOK18Fg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJoRZOK18Fg[/video]

They're moving this to the US and Canada.

Canada are about to rock the world in football terms. Defoe is talking us up to all the youth products out there which should help us get a run on other teams when it comes to stealing the talent first, we were left standing when the French, African, Belgium's got good. Lets get the Canadians before anyone else.

It's not just the legacy for Qatar, it's that whole middle-eastern, NW African region.

I don't think it should have gone to Qatar, is was a blatant bribe, but can at least appreciate the argument that that particular region is relatively untouched by the World Cup.

Should have been Australia though.

As much as I hate/despise Aussies yeah you bunch of convicts should have got the world cup so at least to wean you off that pathetic hybrid of a sport aussie rules which is a failed sport copying another failed sport(rugby)

The issue isn't small countries having the WC it's countries with no footballing tradition having it because the fans don't get engaged which makes for a boring world cup. 2010 was so dull and there was no atmosphere at many of the games becuase the locals weren't really interested. Contrast that with Brazil where the people at the stadiums loved it and look how busy the fan parks etc were as well.

Back