• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Putin & Russia

Germany's economy relies on Russian gas, there's no way in hell they're helping here.
All of Europe really, though this is an interdependency as the gas/oil revenues are such a large percentage of the Russian federal budget. Stopping gas flows through Ukraine would be a double-edged sword much like cutting Russia off from the SWIFT system. The pain would be felt on both sides.

One real pressure point is the personal finances of oligarchs which are largely held in the west. Their kids go to school in fancy western schools and shop in Harrods. Talk of magnitsky act sanctions makes them all very fudging nervous.

All of Europe really, though this is an interdependency as the gas/oil revenues are such a large percentage of the Russian federal budget. Stopping gas flows through Ukraine would be a double-edged sword much like cutting Russia off from the SWIFT system. The pain would be felt on both sides.

One real pressure point is the personal finances of oligarchs which are largely held in the west. Their kids go to school in fancy western schools and shop in Harrods. Talk of magnitsky act sanctions makes them all very fudging nervous.
Sweeping generalisation, I know, but I thought those who has settled in the West had mainly done so to clean their money away from Putin and his lot.

I'm not sure they'll exert any pressure on him or be able to.

Sweeping generalisation, I know, but I thought those who has settled in the West had mainly done so to clean their money away from Putin and his lot.

I'm not sure they'll exert any pressure on him or be able to.
I wouldn't know the specifics either to be honest but nearly all the dedicated Russia watchers I know espouse this approach. Bill Browder, who would know this better than anyone I assume, has made it his mission to push this message in the media all the time. And that's why Putin wants him dead. Putin and his pet oligarchs operate more like a transnational crime syndicate anyway so it is no surprise that money is their achilles heel. The UK in particular is in a pivotal position considering how much money is washed through the city of London.

As for breaking away from Putin's orbit, I doubt if you could ever extricate yourself from this world even if you wanted to. I recently saw a video of Putin humiliating Deripaska in some meeting or other. I'm not sure what it was about but where the balance of power lay was obvious. In terms of sanctions against the oligarchs, the idea being pushed is that to hit one of them would do little to influence things but if enough of them are sanctioned then this may give him pause. Putin's money sits in their bank accounts too supposedly.

Go after their money, their freedom to travel, their property, and their lifestyle.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know the specifics either to be honest but nearly all the dedicated Russia watchers I know espouse this approach. Bill Browder, who would know this better than anyone I assume, has made it his mission to push this message in the media all the time. And that's why Putin wants him dead. Putin and his pet oligarchs operate more like a transnational crime syndicate anyway so it is no surprise that money is their achilles heel. The UK in particular is in a pivotal position considering how much money is washed through the city of London.

As for breaking away from Putin's orbit, I doubt if you could ever extricate yourself from this world even if you wanted to. I recently saw a video of Putin humiliating Deripaska in some meeting or other. I'm not sure what it was about but where the power balance lay was obvious. In terms of sanctions against the oligarchs, the idea being pushed is that to hit one of them would do little to influence things but if enough of them are sanctioned then this may give him pause. Putin's money sits in their bank accounts too supposedly.

Go after their money, their freedom to travel, their property, and their lifestyle.
Then can we reclaim the Hilton on Park Lane?

It used to be a nice hotel.

Russia, or should I say Putin, are just desperate to still be considered a superpower. As long as they have their nukes they'll always be dangerous, but the country and its people would be much better off if they spent more on infrastructure and education and maybe a little less on military. That goes for all dictatorships really.

Russia, or should I say Putin, are just desperate to still be considered a superpower. As long as they have their nukes they'll always be dangerous, but the country and its people would be much better off if they spent more on infrastructure and education and maybe a little less on military. That goes for all dictatorships really.

Not really. They lose crimea they are fudged. The west could cut off their trade to the rest of the world. No access to the med or suez canal, so the gulf asia africa etc... unless they go overland. Their black sea fleet is based there.

The russian ambassador to the uk said years ago. If ukraine were to join nato and russia lose hold of crimea they'd push the button. Just as america threatened with cuba.

They've been pulling stunts around Sweden and particularly Gotland as well. It all feels a little desperate and attention seeking. They don't like being left out of any decision making.

I will be very surprised if an invasion is resisted in any meaningful way.

Maybe not initially, but could be an iraq/afghanistan situation. Endless fighting.

Doubt they'd want to take the whole of ukraine. The areas they will have some russian support.

It will be ugly.

Back