• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pull backs

Pirate55

The Last Man Standing 17/18
one of the things I have noticed is how poor our crossing has been. Most well drilled teams know instinctively where their forwards will be having practiced this many times in training. However our crossing is invariably poor. Take Lucas's attempt which he did well to get to the byline by beating his man for pace , yet his cross was far too near the keeper and he cut it out. We waste so many good positions this way.

Why don't our players cut it back? Kulu did this for Sons hattrick goal against Brighton but we hardly ever do this. When you get to the byline just aim for the penalty spot. This is outside the keepers reach and most defenders will be left stranded facing the wrong way on the six yard line. City and Pool execute this tactic a lot to perfection. The strikers also know where the ball is going to be delivered ( look at Jota for this positioning). Why can't we simply follow their example?

Aaron Lennon used to be good at this. He wasn’t a good crosser of a ball in the air but consistently cut the ball back or drilled low balls that created assists and chances…..

Aaron Lennon used to be good at this. He wasn’t a good crosser of a ball in the air but consistently cut the ball back or drilled low balls that created assists and chances…..
Even Lennon's pull backs weren't particularly accurate. He tended to just hit them in the general area of the box, that's why his per season assist record was very average other than a couple of stand out seasons.

What City and Liverpool have is high levels of technique which breeds a level of composure on the final 3rd, the game almost moves in slowmo. To get to that level it will take a mixture of playing this way so there's a familiarity of action the automation if you will and improving the quality of those players playing the final balls.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Even Lennon's pull backs weren't particularly accurate. He tended to just hit them in the general area of the box, that's why his per season assist record was very average other than a couple of stand out seasons.

What City and Liverpool have is high levels of technique which breeds a level of composure on the final 3rd, the game almost moves in slowmo. To get to that level it will take a mixture of playing this way so there's a familiarity of action the automation if you will and improving the quality of those players playing the final balls.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
He had a very good understanding with Defoe for low crosses and pullbacks. He didn’t get that many assists but did create a good amount of chances. Anyway, I agree with your general point….

I think it's more about how often we get into those cut back positions than what we do when it happens. Those are very dangerous positions so teams do a lot to keep that from happening when defending and teams like City and Liverpool have spent a lot of time, and have a lot of quality, to get into those positions.

We mostly get there when counter attacking or successfully playing through a high press (pseudo counter attacking). We're not good enough in other phases of play to get there often enough.

Not sure I remember the specific situation with Lucas. Him picking the wrong option is just Lucas being Lucas though.

I think it's more about how often we get into those cut back positions than what we do when it happens. Those are very dangerous positions so teams do a lot to keep that from happening when defending and teams like City and Liverpool have spent a lot of time, and have a lot of quality, to get into those positions.

We mostly get there when counter attacking or successfully playing through a high press (pseudo counter attacking). We're not good enough in other phases of play to get there often enough.

Not sure I remember the specific situation with Lucas. Him picking the wrong option is just Lucas being Lucas though.
I think it was when he was heading more towards the touchline toed it past Cucarella and outstripped him for pace to the byline.
Another one was when PEH did a nice bit of skill and a run to the byline.

The above shows that it mostly happens when someone beats a man (much like Lennon, although Charlie used to do those lovely slide passes to him as well). City and Liverpool quite often free someone with nice passing combinations.

Back