• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Premier League Squad

We have lots of surplus players in the squad though like Janssen, Llorente, N'Koudou, one of the 3 RBs, we could lose 4 players there without even noticing (appreciate Llorente has had gametime recently) and get some high quality replacements in.

We have done well this season given the circumstances with no new players, world cup fatigue, wembley, general negativity because of those 3 things and maybe it's finally taken it's toll but some restructuring needs to be done.

The problem is we may need 5/6 new players and getting those signed and integrated with the squad in one transfer window is near enough impossible. History shows that getting more than 3 top players into the squad in a summer is incredibly difficult.

We have lots of surplus players in the squad though like Janssen, Llorente, N'Koudou, one of the 3 RBs, we could lose 4 players there without even noticing (appreciate Llorente has had gametime recently) and get some high quality replacements in.

We have done well this season given the circumstances with no new players, world cup fatigue, wembley, general negativity because of those 3 things and maybe it's finally taken it's toll but some restructuring needs to be done.

The problem is we may need 5/6 new players and getting those signed and integrated with the squad in one transfer window is near enough impossible. History shows that getting more than 3 top players into the squad in a summer is incredibly difficult.

I don’t think for one second that the club would love to shift those players but if no one wants them we can’t sell them

Look at Markovic at pool as a prime example of how other clubs get it wrong the same as us .... players that cost money, clearly on decent wages and no one wants to buy them ...

We need 5 players IMO, we’ll 5 we be to look to add after shifting some

I still think Toby and Eriksen will go and fund half our moves

I don’t think for one second that the club would love to shift those players but if no one wants them we can’t sell them

Look at Markovic at pool as a prime example of how other clubs get it wrong the same as us .... players that cost money, clearly on decent wages and no one wants to buy them ...

We could loan them out then if they aren't needed and at least get part of their wages paid and potentially a fee for them. I mean Poch said Janssen would be back in the squad but we've heard nothing since, surely worth a spot on the bench when we had the big injury crisis.

Lots of other clubs do mess things up but generally get rid off them but at a hefty loss, I suspect Levy doesn't want to take a loss so keeps them around and that seems to be what most reports say e.g. wanting 15m for Janssen etc.

Bang on.

We could loan them out then if they aren't needed and at least get part of their wages paid and potentially a fee for them. I mean Poch said Janssen would be back in the squad but we've heard nothing since, surely worth a spot on the bench when we had the big injury crisis.

Lots of other clubs do mess things up but generally get rid off them but at a hefty loss, I suspect Levy doesn't want to take a loss so keeps them around and that seems to be what most reports say e.g. wanting 15m for Janssen etc.
I’d still say that £15m is a fair price based on his international record

I’d still say that £15m is a fair price based on his international record

Not for someone who the manager has publicly disowned, teams know we want rid then demand a high fee. It just doesn't make sense, only someone desperate would pay that.

Every player can be improved upon

The key point is can we attract the players who would improve us

Spot on for both counts, I think some fans believe its easy to go out and buy better then what we have, biggest problem is that there are not that many about who will come here on less wages then the likes of Chelski, City etc,etc would pay them.

The club is not looking to actively shift either of those players. Both of those players will not leave to a non CL club probably with a very particular set of criteria (salary, game time, location, etc.). If there is the right offer for the player, they will go, but I'd hardly be surprised if both were here next season with new contracts.

We have effectively two windows worth of spending money on the back of a record profit year +70-100M of incoming CL revenue, we will not need to sell to buy.

To the point, some players to shift (in the current economic model I don't think any of the "deadwood" will be too expensive or on too high wages to go), I could see Vorm going (swap his spot for young English keeper to free up overseas player spot), several of the never play fringe players. The interesting question for me beyond the Toby/Eriksen situation will be players like Lamela, Rose, Aurier and Wanyama.

The club is not looking to actively shift either of those players. Both of those players will not leave to a non CL club probably with a very particular set of criteria (salary, game time, location, etc.). If there is the right offer for the player, they will go, but I'd hardly be surprised if both were here next season with new contracts.

We have effectively two windows worth of spending money on the back of a record profit year +70-100M of incoming CL revenue, we will not need to sell to buy.

To the point, some players to shift (in the current economic model I don't think any of the "deadwood" will be too expensive or on too high wages to go), I could see Vorm going (swap his spot for young English keeper to free up overseas player spot), several of the never play fringe players. The interesting question for me beyond the Toby/Eriksen situation will be players like Lamela, Rose, Aurier and Wanyama.
Levy will give Poch £30m to buy players, so in that respect we will have to sell to build up a decent kitty. He was given zero last season and had to fund any buying via selling. Things haven't moved that much.

If Toby and Eriksen stay, they will have large bumps on their salary, along with probably Sonny and Jan and even Rose?. Locking in who we want to stay is the priority as we know those players are up to our expectations.

We have 2/3 years on the current lending facility, that when re-financed (we''ll have a good guage on the final bill soon)we have to look healthy (helped by the initial income streams from the stadium and the shirt and naming rights deals) we can't afford to look like we're 'chancing' anything.

Everything on the pitch is helping, and CL next season is a must. We can act like Liverpool but only if Eriksen is our Coutinho type sacrifice.

If top young talent is interested in coming eg de Ligt....it will be an exception because his future value looks gauranteed.

Bit of a grueling fixture list coming up. Wham followed two days later by Ajax. Oh to have Kane and Sissoko back. Maybe Skipp can play a part. Llorente didn't get many chances tonight to be fair but you'd want him to drop deep, make some runs, look more lively. At least with Janssen you know he will bust a gut. Neither gives you confidence though. But if they contribute in the league it will take some of the pressure off Son, who must be shattered.

Bit of a grueling fixture list coming up. Wham followed two days later by Ajax. Oh to have Kane and Sissoko back. Maybe Skipp can play a part. Llorente didn't get many chances tonight to be fair but you'd want him to drop deep, make some runs, look more lively. At least with Janssen you know he will bust a gut. Neither gives you confidence though. But if they contribute in the league it will take some of the pressure off Son, who must be shattered.

Yep. As I said in the Llorente thread, we're 1-2 bodies short in forward positions. People talk about having 2 players per position - we have 6 for the front 4 positions, or 7 if you include Llorente. That 1-2 extra players would make one hell of a difference at the moment. Problem is that we haven't been able to clear out Janssen and GKn in the last couple windows and add someone effective

Yep. As I said in the Llorente thread, we're 1-2 bodies short in forward positions. People talk about having 2 players per position - we have 6 for the front 4 positions, or 7 if you include Llorente. That 1-2 extra players would make one hell of a difference at the moment. Problem is that we haven't been able to clear out Janssen and GKn in the last couple windows and add someone effective

...and you might argue we have a Demble shaped hole as midfield cover.

Paris-Saint-Germain-vs-Lyon.png

Hm, very interesting to see how alike they are. Based on this - but then stats never tell the complete story - a midfield three with Winks, Lo Celso and NDombele might be a real option. So 4-3-3, alongside the other system we can play which is 4-2-3-1. With the departure of Trippier and the near departure of Rose, Poch may be rethinking his tactical options. Fewer flying full-backs (so fewer opportunities to play 3-5-2), but more creativity and steel in the middle of the park.

Looking forward to the season!

Do people think the squad is better than last season, I would say it's about equal.

Ndombele - will be able to play more games than Dembele but still needs to adapt to the league
Le Celso - needs to adapt but promising, also different style of player to Eriksen to difficult to make direct comparisons
Sessegnon - can play anywhere on the left but will have to see where he fits in, don't think he'll get more than 15 starts this season anyway

Lack of depth at RB and CB (assuming Foyth moves to RB) and no cover at CF worries me, feels like we have similar holes in the squad and not signing anyone last summer whilst still giving us a good season shows how difficult it is to fill 2 seasons worth of squad development in one summer.

Back