• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Window Thread

We didnt make a single transfer this summer, if expectations were that important we wouldnt have been so bold.

Season ticket sales are based on the product, be that success/style/both. Not "expectations" (whatever that actually means).

"been so bold"
or maybe we had little choice?

"Expectations"
I'll borrow from the good @Gutter Boy post above now repeated below.

I can see us making one (big) transfer in January - probably Ndombele or De Ligt. Either will likely be loaned back out to their current club for the rest of the season.

This is an expectation.

If for argument's sake we sign no one or a youngster from Sunderland there will be much whining and gnashing of teeth.

Last edited:
Ill be honest mate, Ive lost track of where you are on this.

Initially you said we wouldnt buy NDombele at £55m, and then £70m, and now youre talking about expectations.

I contest that we wouldnt spend that money - I believe we would if we think its the right move.

If you dont, thats cool, but I have to say you have lost me somewhat...

I can see us making one (big) transfer in January - probably Ndombele or De Ligt. Either will likely be loaned back out to their current club for the rest of the season.

Would be fun, but I think both those guys are way above our level now. It was one of the reasons I was advocating so heavily for NDombele in the summer, when we had a glimmer of opportunity. Now that City and Juve are interested, I think it's on down the list to more attainable targets like Grealish and Ake. I'd be also love to see us make a run at Lewis Cook.

The truth is, the only way we're going to be able to bring in real A+ quality signings is to snap them up before the rest of Europe is totally convinced. Otherwise, Spurs won't be able to compete.

I like Cook, but I also think he's basically a 90-95% version of Dier, whereas we need more of a direct Dembele replacement.

NDombele is as close to a direct replacement for Moose as we'd ever hope for....strong as but amazing technical ability as well. Happy to spend £70m if that's what it takes.

We need a smaller more rapid version of Dier to play with Winks.
To play the ‘Kante’ role not a ‘Matic’ type, these large slow players can’t tackle without receiving a yellow with today’s refs and turns like an oil tanker.

We need a smaller more rapid version of Dier to play with Winks.
To play the ‘Kante’ role not a ‘Matic’ type, these large slow players can’t tackle without receiving a yellow with today’s refs and turns like an oil tanker.

Sorry mate but that’s rubbish

The yellow yesterday was poor call from the ref who was at great. He didn’t give the penalty agianst Pickford which was quite clear

Dier put in a load of slide rule passes yesterday, the kind that Kante could only dream of

Ake may not be of the class of a De Ligt, but the more I think about it, the more he makes sense (assuming we can't get De Ligt). He can play in a 3 or a 2 and is one of the fastest CBs in the league. With Davinson and him, we could play a high line and have pace to cover in behind. Plus, he's a very good passer for a young CB, which makes him an interesting fit for a progressive side.

As far as his height/size, he's not a huge guy, but alongside one of Davinson or Vertonghen (with guys like Dier, Kane, and Wanyama to help on set pieces), I don't think his aerial prowess would hurt us that much. I quickly looked it up, and in Alderweireld's best season (16-17), he won 42 and lost 45 aerial duels. Last season, Ake won 105 and lost 92. Obviously, Bournemouth had to deal w/ a lot more balls in the box than we did, but it's a similar percentage.

Replacing someone as good as Alderweireld is so tough, but I think for an affordable price and homegrown, we could do worse than Ake.

Back