• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poundland = "Slave Labour"

Enter the Pitbull

Luke Young
[h=1]ÔÇÿCrazyÔÇÖ court win for the workshy[/h][h=2]Storm as benefits girl Cait Reilly is backed over Human Rights[/h]By TOM NEWTON DUNN, Political Editor

Published: Today at 01:35

[h=3]A MINISTER has blasted a "crazy" move which would allow the workshy to snub a scheme to help get them a job.[/h]It came after a jobless girl won a judicial review of a threat to take her dole away if she refuses to complete a work placement.
Graduate Cait Reilly was sent to stack shelves for two weeks at Poundland to teach her the work ethic.
But she claimed it amounted to "slave labour" and is using the Human Rights Act to overturn the Government's flagship get-tough policy.
Ex-geology student Reilly, 22, is joined in the court move by an unnamed middle aged man out of work for two years.
He refused to work six months unpaid under a community action scheme, calling it "an attack on his dignity". The Royal Court of Justice will now hear their protests.
But last night Employment Minister Chris Grayling vowed to "fight this case all the way".
Fighting case ... Chris Grayling

He told The Sun: "It will be crazy for the courts to overrule the Government and allow people to sit at home on benefits doing nothing.
"The idea that getting people to do something that will get them back to work is a contradiction of human rights is ridiculous."
Giving evidence to MPs on the flagship Work Programme yesterday, he said some people are "less ready" to do work than expected.
He also hit out at some coverage of the scheme.
He told MPs: "I was very disappointed by some of the coverage of the BBC.
I think the Guardian newspaper got some things wrong but I think that the BBC had more of a duty to get things right."

It's crazy.
You have to work for the Council if you want to claim your dole over here in Hungary. One of the best orders of the new government.

Safety net = comfy hammock.

I don't really agree, you get about ?ú70 per week for JSA which when you take into account food, bills, and transport, doesn't go very far at all. If these organisations have vacancies that need filling then why don't they take these people on, on a temporary/probationary basis, and pay them a basic living wage. The jobs are there, this employer is just looking to exploit the situation by avoiding taking on full time employees (or even temps) and filling these vacancies with free labour. Having said that it is only for two weeks so I don't see what the individuals concerned are moaning about, but I was under the impression that employers could take people on for 6 months or more under this scheme. If you need someone for that length of time then give them a farking job!

Who says that the employer is looking for staff. Taking someone on for two weeks only could very well cost them more than they make. Especially if the work shy bint can't be bothered to do any work.

This whole program is aimed at helping people normalise themselves back into a working routine and add value to their CV, something that can't be attained sittIng on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle.

The problem with this scheme is the people who genuinely want to work but are struggling to get a job suffer. Sadly, people like the woman above outnumber the decent but struggling people

Exactly. Being out of work shouldn't be a comfortable experience, but nor should it be a crippling one. People out of work should be able to make ends meet but that is it. No luxuries, no perks.

Agree completely, and I am afraid that Sky subsriptions, a car, fags, beer and a fancy mobile phone are luxury items, not a bloody human right!

I could teach her a thing or two about slave labour, it would begain in my basement and she would not see daylight again for a month, by which time she would be begging to have a job.

The government should look to employ me actually.

Agree completely, and I am afraid that Sky subsriptions, a car, fags, beer and a fancy mobile phone are luxury items, not a bloody human right!

I've been out of work since August and have now been told I don't qualify for Job seekers Allowance as my wife earns too much (around ?ú271 a week). Unfortunately a car IS a neccessity where I live as unlike London we don't have buses every 5 minutes and a network of underground trains as is a mobile phone if you spend half the day out looking for work.

However, the idea that 2 weeks work placement is slave labour is ridiculous and yes it's true "safety net = comfy hammock" as my sister knows someone on ?ú26k a year in benefits, 18 year old single mum living at home with her mum. BUT not everyoner on benefits is a lazy scrounger there are some, like me, who genuiniely do want to work.

its what im saying!! welfare not benefits - if you fund yourself without income you make cut backs.

the state should be there to help people out with living (rent/mortgage, council tax, legislation that defers things like power bills), thats society helping out society (as it can happen to ANY of us) to create stability

I've been out of work since August and have now been told I don't qualify for Job seekers Allowance as my wife earns too much (around ?ú271 a week). Unfortunately a car IS a neccessity where I live as unlike London we don't have buses every 5 minutes and a network of underground trains as is a mobile phone if you spend half the day out looking for work.

However, the idea that 2 weeks work placement is slave labour is ridiculous and yes it's true "safety net = comfy hammock" as my sister knows someone on ?ú26k a year in benefits, 18 year old single mum living at home with her mum. BUT not everyoner on benefits is a lazy scrounger there are some, like me, who genuiniely do want to work.

thats what, 20k p/a? you might wanna check they are right mate - my understanding (for being unemp until July last yr) was with savings under 3k (or was it 5k?) and an income at ehat your wife earns you would get JSA (?ú67 a week) but nothing else. assuming you havnt claimed JSA in the last 6months(?)

i cant remember the specifics, but if she is earning 20k mate, im sure they have goti it wrong - my Mrs was earning 27k when i claimed

A load of old brick if you ask me. No doubt these out of work folk claiming their human rights are being violated are fighting their cases with legal aid. I value the system we have and the protection it affords everyone but this is a shining example of how ridiculous things have become. There are so many for whom this is a wonderful opportunity to get them in the door. Their opportunity to reacquire or learn the work ethic required, to gain valuable skills and to get their foot in the door. Job vacancies all look initially at your skills on paper. If you have none then your chances are very limited in this very difficult jobs market. Now many can easily carry out these roles and it gives people the opportunity to get past these barries. It is funny that those shouting the loudest are those with the most to lose or those with an agenda.

The suggestion that it prevents others from getting these jobs is a bit odd considering it is giving these trials to people who are unemployed with the view of getting them into employment. There are many who are very happy with the various benefiits they get and the way they make their money tax free on the quiet. These people will fight tooth and nail to maintain that status quo. It is funnny how people's dignity kicks in when they are coerced to get off ther lazy arses. Everywhere around us are opportunities to make money. Many of them cost you very little. Cut some hedges ? Sweep some leaves ? Dig voer a garden ? Clean some windows ? Wash some cars ? Clean some houses ? Do some ironing ? List isn't endless but there is work out there. Like someone said earlier 'hardship' appears to have changed in it's very nature.

thats what, 20k p/a? you might wanna check they are right mate - my understanding (for being unemp until July last yr) was with savings under 3k (or was it 5k?) and an income at ehat your wife earns you would get JSA (?ú67 a week) but nothing else. assuming you havnt claimed JSA in the last 6months(?)

i cant remember the specifics, but if she is earning 20k mate, im sure they have goti it wrong - my Mrs was earning 27k when i claimed

each council normally has a benefit calculator on their site or on the DWP site which might help to see what can be claimed.

Back