• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: which has been Pochettino's worst managerial mistake to date?

Which has been Pochettino's biggest managerial mistake so far?

• Not playing Kyle Walker in 2017 FA Cup semi-final before selling him

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Writing THAT book...

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Not selling Rose within a year of his comments on pay and club ambition in summer 2017

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Asking club to be brave, then signing new 5 year contract before getting no transfers in summer 2018

• Saying Trophies "are just for egos" and "won't change our lives"

• Starting fixture gap 'mind games' (then losing to Burnley after having more days b4 than Burnley...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saying he might leave if we win CL (and re-iterating it in tyhe summer after CL final)

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Dropping Moura in CL final after his SF heroics

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Saying the squad is not the best one he's had

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First point fair, although he has some influence surely?

Second point, I think this is the best squad we’ve ever had, ever, and he should be getting better performances from them.
Any of our recent squads that dont include Dembele would not be our best squad. He was that good, and that important to us....

Any of our recent squads that dont include Dembele would not be our best squad. He was that good, and that important to us....

I think there is a little revisionist history going on with Dembele, it's not about one player.

His peak was 16/17 right, look at that seasons squad compared to this one, it's mostly the same but the current players have the additional years worth of coaching in their heads and bodies.

Toby has the excuse of age, every other player we have should be in the best all round condition of their careers.

He's got Ndombele and Lo Celso, Aurier and Fyoth have both put in top level performances at RB, KWP has had great games for us, Toby shouldn't be playing anyway as Sanchez is fitter/faster/stronger and look at his performances in his first season.

The tools are there, they are just being used badly.

Toby was at his peak in years past, foyth and sanchez are a long way from that.
Ndomdele and lo celso are still unknown quanties, and again the was at his peak.

KWP has had great games, but again how does he compare to walker (best right back in the league according to some) at his peak?

We have lost three players at their peak that would have walked into any team in the country and most in Europe and replaced them with youth and prospects.
How's that an improvement?
I do agree Toby shouldn't be playing, give it to sanchez.

Toby was at his peak in years past, foyth and sanchez are a long way from that.
Ndomdele and lo celso are still unknown quanties, and again the was at his peak.

KWP has had great games, but again how does he compare to walker (best right back in the league according to some) at his peak?

We have lost three players at their peak that would have walked into any team in the country and most in Europe and replaced them with youth and prospects.
How's that an improvement?
I do agree Toby shouldn't be playing, give it to sanchez.

My argument is very much "on paper", but lets not forget how the players mentioned were not at their peak before Poch got them there, he "just" needs to do it again.

He's got Ndombele and Lo Celso, Aurier and Fyoth have both put in top level performances at RB, KWP has had great games for us, Toby shouldn't be playing anyway as Sanchez is fitter/faster/stronger and look at his performances in his first season.

The tools are there, they are just being used badly.

I think I may sound like a broken record by now but the system we have been playing for the best part of a year has left the fb’s hanging out to dry, it’s also leaving the cm Winks in particular as well as the cb’s hanging as they have no protection, this has exposed Alderweireld’s weaknesses more than Vertonghen and Sanchez, I’m not sure Alderweireld has declined as bad as what his performances are showing.

But it still comes back to what you said, the players are being utilised badly, we don’t have a squad to play the diamond so why has he persisted with it, you see it all the time when a new manager takes over a club and tries to force his system and style of play on a squad not suited to it, they don’t last in the job long, if he wanted to transition to this style of play Pochettino should have waited until enough pieces of the puzzle were in place before the transition occurred.

My argument is very much "on paper", but lets not forget how the players mentioned were not at their peak before Poch got them there, he "just" needs to do it again.
You can't rush people to their peak, Toby was an experienced CL and world Cup regular playing alongside a guy who he has played with at club and International level for years.
You can't throw in a 21 from a new continent who knows no one at the club and expect the same level.
And don't see how you can rush them there.

You can't rush people to their peak, Toby was an experienced CL and world Cup regular playing alongside a guy who he has played with at club and International level for years.
You can't throw in a 21 from a new continent who knows no one at the club and expect the same level.
And don't see how you can rush them there.

We've had Sanchez for two years, I wouldn't consider that a rush.

But that two years isn't going make better better than Toby at his peak, so it's not a better squad.

My opinion is it should, he's faster, stronger and fitter, everything else is in the head, and we coach that.

Let's also not forget that Sanchez was a record buy from Ajax, we landed Toby cheap via Southampton and Atletico were glad to get rid of him.

The crux of my argument is that Poch has had two years to improve, from an already exceptional baseline, Sanchez, and he hasn't, thats a failing of the coaching staff.

My opinion is it should, he's faster, stronger and fitter, everything else is in the head, and we coach that.

Let's also not forget that Sanchez was a record buy from Ajax, we landed Toby cheap via Southampton and Atletico were glad to get rid of him.

The crux of my argument is that Poch has had two years to improve, from an already exceptional baseline, Sanchez, and he hasn't, thats a failing of the coaching staff.

Not sure that's the same argument now.

Is Sanchez now a better cb than Toby was at his peak? No
That's my view, if yours different that's fine, I respect that Stop! Hammer time and we can leave this there and fi d something else we don't agree on.

I don’t buy these once good players have all gone bad! In 10 months!

(Heads up) I'm currently having problems getting on to this site - If you do not get a reply, that will be the reason

Completely agree, it’s too many players at once who have magically become geriatric past it’s (or so we are to believe) in the space of months to be a coincidence.

If it was one or two it would be a different discussion but you still have to ask the question if they have gone bad why are they still being picked?

Throw in another one

West Ham away the season Leicester won the league

We win there and we are top and the title is in our hands as Leicester drew 2-2 with WBA the night before.

That night he dropped Walker/Rose/Alli/Son

And started with Chadli and Mason in CM

The book was unnecessary and went against his low ego, for the collective style he’d portrayed in public.
He’d made some big calls in big games that didn’t work out, Son left back was a possible early indication that he overthinks the decisive games, a little like how Pep played us differently at new WHL as it was a ‘European’ away game.

the one that gets me, for a host of reasons was dropping Walker. Dropping Walker may or may not be able to be proven to have influenced the result, but it led to selling him to a domestic rival which sent a message to the rest of the team which post Berbatov thought it was something we’d never need to do again. We still haven’t replaced him either.
Levy made the sale but from everything Pochettino has said since his only concern was getting him out of the squad. I feel he cut his nose off to spite his face and although we have improved in other areas took a key component out of a great back 4.

Wasn’t walker dropped after he’d handed in a transfer request?
From what I gather Walker was getting rotated or dropped for Trippier so he asked to leave in the summer. Poch took exception at the timing of the request as it was during the run in.

Back